How can Creighton consistently

It's the KF plan part 2. Gutless Gary is going to align Fran's contract with the developmental 4 or 5 year cycle. He makes it impossible to buy the contract out until the cycle of Fran's mediocrity reaches it's zenith. A SR laden roster with a 2nd round NCAA beat down. Right about that time, Gutless Gary will give him another extension. Making Fran safe through the trough of the next development cycle. It's pathetic and I hope like Hell Iowa fans see it for the farce it is and stay home! But I'm not holding my breath. The people in this state are idiots.

I can't argue any of that.

I think our roster would excel if they were running the triangle. That doesn't require a break-you-down point guard but pure shooters thrive.

Of course, it would still require someone to drive to the basket on occasion, and if someone was doing that now (under control with a plan) we would be doing better. Moss is drawing 2-3 defenders every time he drives...problem is he still thinks he's getting to the rim. That little oop with Cook was a thing of beauty and should be run way more often.

Oh he does a ton of fund raising. I would say that's his primary focus. He's been behind the organizing of the football facility being built the press box and now the north end zone. Also the basketball practice facility. He's gotten a lot of that stuff done without having to touch public $ making him a god to the powers that be at the University. In this article it notes how he raised 48 million big ones just last yr. I don't think that's anything to sneeze at. https://www.landof10.com/iowa/gary-...owa-hawkeyes-athletic-director-told-reporters
It's not hard to fund raiser at Iowa. And it never has been.

Oh he does a ton of fund raising. I would say that's his primary focus. He's been behind the organizing of the football facility being built the press box and now the north end zone. Also the basketball practice facility. He's gotten a lot of that stuff done without having to touch public $ making him a god to the powers that be at the University. In this article it notes how he raised 48 million big ones just last yr. I don't think that's anything to sneeze at. https://www.landof10.com/iowa/gary-...owa-hawkeyes-athletic-director-told-reporters

Then make him chief fundraiser and get someone else to run the athletic dept

Then make him chief fundraiser and get someone else to run the athletic dept
Makes sense. It's a job that'd pay for itself since he's raising the kind of $ he has. But that 48 mill he raised last yr is a ton. I can't see that being a sustainable thing to continue to do. Yet I have no clue what is or isn't. Think of the type of people he's rubbing elbows with to be able to do that. I'm curious how many different folks are apart of that. Was it one dude giving 20 mil and he rest spread out or was it 100 people dolling out 400k plus? I don't know why I'm rambling about that but whatever

It's the KF plan part 2. Gutless Gary is going to align Fran's contract with the developmental 4 or 5 year cycle. He makes it impossible to buy the contract out until the cycle of Fran's mediocrity reaches it's zenith. A SR laden roster with a 2nd round NCAA beat down. Right about that time, Gutless Gary will give him another extension. Making Fran safe through the trough of the next development cycle. It's pathetic and I hope like Hell Iowa fans see it for the farce it is and stay home! But I'm not holding my breath. The people in this state are idiots.

The problem is its not just Fran, and its not just Barta. The president signed off on Fran's brand new deal as well. So firing Fran anytime soon makes Barta look incompetent...and firing Barta makes Harreld look incompetent for agreeing to Fran's deal to begin with and then firing the AD and Fran shortly after costing the university millions.

Its optics for them, and its reality for us. It goes all the way to the top and the top is just fine with what Fran and Gary are doing.

The problem is its not just Fran, and its not just Barta. The president signed off on Fran's brand new deal as well. So firing Fran anytime soon makes Barta look incompetent...and firing Barta makes Harreld look incompetent for agreeing to Fran's deal to begin with and then firing the AD and Fran shortly after costing the university millions.

Its optics for them, and its reality for us. It goes all the way to the top and the top is just fine with what Fran and Gary are doing.
I don't think Harreld looks at it that way. He's fairly new on the job and like most execs, he's not going to micro-manage Gutless, nor hesitate to fire him if he feels like he needs to. He didn't hire Gutless Gary.

I don't think Harreld looks at it that way. He's fairly new on the job and like most execs, he's not going to micro-manage Gutless, nor hesitate to fire him if he feels like he needs to. He didn't hire Gutless Gary.

Well Harreld didn't come from an education background he came from being an executive at IBM and Boston Market. Agreeing to a $10M buyout for a coach and then buying him out the very next year for $9M is nothing short of a horrid business move.

How da fug can Creighton find guards and Iowa can’t. I am not a baby out with the bath water kind of guy..but it has got to be time for a change. I cannot stand what the prorgram has become. The only word I can use to describe what is going on is apathy. Not sure how any D1 player or coach could be apethetic towards their jobs...but u can’t deny it. Frigin Rutgers will own us if things remain the same. Fran u failed the University and your players. U owe ALL fans a refund and have disgraced the University with your coaching effort.Simply NO excuse for what is happening. I would rather watch H.s. Girls b-ball cuz at least they try to play competitive b-ball. I fuggin hate what Iowa basketball has become. Fran=Lick. He has given up it is ova... time to move on. SAD!!!

Penn State and Nebraska passed Iowa up. Think about that. Nebraska was supposed to have a bad year and Miles was supposed to be on his way out.

Last edited:
The cold reality a lot of fans need to realize is that barta's new deal for fran basically locks Fran in for the next several years at LEAST. they aren't buying him out for $10M or $9M or $7.6M or $6.2M.

So that leaves at least 3 more years of Fran after this season with a $4.7M buyout after that, which is still more money than Steve prohms current buyout. Its truly a ridiculous contract.

I honestly think part of the extension was to extend Fran thru Connor and Patrick's playing years at Iowa. I think Barta wanted to ensure Fran they would have a consistency and security at least thru their years here.

Ironically, the 4-5 years just covers his boys' playing time at Iowa. Coincidence?

I'm not sure Harreld really cares. He has no ties to the institution. He has publicly said he would retire in 2020 when his contract expires.

Well Harreld didn't come from an education background he came from being an executive at IBM and Boston Market. Agreeing to a $10M buyout for a coach and then buying him out the very next year for $9M is nothing short of a horrid business move.
Agreed. And he's got the perfect person to throw under the bus, if it doesn't work out. Gutless Gary Barta.

I agree with this. Fran's deal is not an impediment to Herald firing firing Barta. He signed off on a deal his long-tenured AD brought him and he's a pretty new president. He can get away with it as long as it doesn't become a habit.

I honestly think part of the extension was to extend Fran thru Connor and Patrick's playing years at Iowa. I think Barta wanted to ensure Fran they would have a consistency and security at least thru their years here.
That makes it so much worse for me. We already have Kirk hiring his son and then promoting him twice (I forget his original role but he was promoted to also run coordinator and then OC) and now we have a deal with the basketball coach that may be based on making sure his kids have a place to play that may turn out to be above what their talent level merits (especially Conner).

Latest posts