How bad is 6-6? Does the 2000 team go 6-6 with our recent schedules?

Cover3

My conclusion from the epic novel below is to predict an 8-4 record for the 2012 Hawks, contrary to the 6-6 and 5-7 that some of our resident pessimists have proffered. I put this up front because I know very well the tendency to not read long posts in full.

Last night, I watched HawkeyeHistorian's YouTube video of the 2000 Iowa-Northwestern game. Given all of the talk about how weak the Hawks' 2012 schedule is, and also how the 2012 Iowa defense could be the worst since 2000, I wondered during the video how much worse the 2000 team really was than some of Iowa's recent mediocre editions. For those that don't remember, Iowa played the nation's toughest schedule in 2000, certainly in the non-conference. So, here's a little comparison:

2000: 3-5 in Big Ten, 0-4 non-con with 'worst' opponent being 9-3 W. Mich.

2006: 2-6 in Big Ten, 4-0 non-con with slate of Montana, ISU, 'Cuse, NIU
2007: 4-4 in Big Ten, 2-2 non-con with wins over 'Cuse and NIU
2011: 4-4 in Big Ten, 3-1 non-con with wins over TTU, ULM, and Pitt

I think that with a schedule reminiscent of the last several years (ISU, one FCS team, one non-BCS FBS team, and a typically middling BCS-level team), that the 2000 team may possibly have been 5-7 or 6-6. They weren't at their best during non-con season, but given that ISU's best squad ever at 9-3 and the aforementioned 9-3 MAC champion Broncos didn't necessarily blow them away (24-14 and 27-21, respectively), I think they could have notched Ws over an FCS team and a squad like ULM or a more typical MAC team. Assuming the same conference record, I think the 2000 team would have had a good shot at 6-6 with a schedule like 2012 (wins over NIU, UNI, and CMU; loss to ISU).

It would then take a 2006-like meltdown in conference for the 2012 Hawks to finish 6-6. I'm not saying the Hawks will be great, but we've got Minnesota, Penn State and Purdue at home, and Indiana still on the schedule. It seems like some are bracing for a 5-7 season, but I just don't see it. Maybe if we lose to ISU and have some key injuries, then things could fall apart, but I think there is still far more talent in the program (even accounting for differences in era) than there was in 2000. Maybe if the 2012 Hawks played a 2000-esque non-con schedule, then they might be looking at 4-8 or 5-7. As it stands, though, I would hope that 6-6 is the floor, and think that 8-4 is the likeliest outcome given the schedule.

I think our overall team depth was much shallower in 2000 than 2012, although DL can't get much less experienced than this year's group. There were obviously some very good young players in 2000 who had yet to play or show much. Hopefully we have a bunch of those stories for 2012 ;)

I'll bite on this one. It seems to me that this team does have some potential to surprise some folks. If the Hawkeyes start 5-0 going into their bye week, I think they have a great chance at grabbing an 8-4 record, but it will have to be the offense that does it. Given the fact that the DL is going to be super green this year really does have me worried. All of Iowa's great teams had great defenses that revolved around how well the DL played. The big questions this year are: How well will the defensive front gel and when? Also, can this offense win games for the Hawks until the defensive line comes around? But, I think they have a good shot at hitting that 5-0 record before the bye week. After the bye week, the schedule gets fun. I just hope they don't lay an egg against MSU the week after. There are games in there that Iowa should win, but always drop one...or two depending on the year. There are also games that Iowa should probably lose, but pull a rabbit out of a hat every once in a while. Among the should wins: Penn State, Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue. I say they win 2 or 3 of those. Among MSU, Mich, and Nebby, I think Iowa wins 1. Best case scenario 9-3. Worst case 6-6. Likely 7-5 or 8-4 before the bowl game. I'm leaning moreso 7-5.

I have said this multiple times but will keep saying it. Iowa has GOT to win those first 5 games to have a decent season and get to a bowl. They lose any of those first 5 games and a 5-7 season is a possibility.

This year will be a lot like 2001.

I would agree with that. Senior QB-led offense, young (and hopefully emerging) defense with a strong secondary. If this team goes 7-5 or 8-4 with some close losses, it may be a harbinger for a great 2013 like both 2001 and 2008 were for their successive years. A lot of development to go on the DL, though, as was said earlier, before we are talking about a total breakout.

I have said this multiple times but will keep saying it. Iowa has GOT to win those first 5 games to have a decent season and get to a bowl. They lose any of those first 5 games and a 5-7 season is a possibility.

Either way, I think this team is an "above .500 team" no matter how they do in the 1st 5 games, but you are right, they really must win the first five games in order to lay the ground work for a successful season. Hopefully some guys will emerge on the DLine...

Latest posts