How an 8 Team Playoff Should Work.

This years matchups would be:

8 USC @ 1 Clemson
7 Auburn @ 2 Oklahoma
6 Wisconsin @ 3 Georgia
5 OSU @ 4 Alabama

Could you imagine a #4 Iowa hosting a #5 USC in Kinnick in the snow? Kinnick playoff games would be nuts!

I don’t get those who say 8 teams is too many Does the NCAA tournament suck because 68 teams make it and only 10 have a legit shot at winning it?

It is litterally 1 more game, and it would be awesome to see all teams actually have a chance of getting into the playoffs. Right now it is a rigged system. Everyone knows that any team not named Bama would have never made the CFB playoffs.

Like I said two years ago, rankings by humans are stupid and biased. The only thing you’re doing is making it 4 spots deeper.

It needs to be P5 + 3 with set criteria before the season so everyone knows exactly what they have to do to make the playoffs. You could have people who’d argue about the at-large requirements, but it’s a lot harder to argue about what team is 9th best. And...as long as the requirements are defined before the season, all teams have an equal chance to make it.

Your solution is in no way different than what they have now with the exception of more teams.

Reread my post. I said they need an RPI like metric to help them make their decisions.

I'm with those that believe that a criteria for selecting the 4 teams needs to be established before expansion. The variables consistently change year to year when selecting 4 teams not sure how it would be any different selecting 8. It needs to be more about resumes and less about politics. A teams total body of work needs to focused on as opposed to the names on the front of the uniforms and what conference/conferences they represent.

Reread my post. I said they need an RPI like metric to help them make their decisions.
Remember when the BCS computer system determined the rankings? It was always way out of whack. Fans did nothing but bitch when their team didn't get ranked where they thought they should and many times they had legitimate complaints.

You have (among others):

BCS
Sagarin
Anderson and Hester
Colley
Massey
Wolfe
Billingsley...

All different computer metrics that...guess what? Give completely different results because they're designed by humans. Who have biases and design their systems to emphasize or not emphasize certain aspects of a team's performance. Good luck getting people to agree what system to use; they'd yell even louder than they do now.

Why the hell do you want to start that crap again when all you need to do is say the P5 champs are in and (before the season) spell out here's how the three at large teams get in?

There's no ambiguity, there's no complaining that Ohio State didn't make it because we didn't use such and such computer ranking, and there's no bitching that your team didn't make it because everything you need to do is spelled out in black and white before the year starts.

This years matchups would be:

8 USC @ 1 Clemson
7 Auburn @ 2 Oklahoma
6 Wisconsin @ 3 Georgia
5 OSU @ 4 Alabama

Could you imagine a #4 Iowa hosting a #5 USC in Kinnick in the snow? Kinnick playoff games would be nuts!
You wouldn't have Iowa hosting anyone.

They would use existing bowl games which wouldn't be held in Kinnick.

Otherwise you have the 8 best teams in the nation not playing in the most prestigious bowls, which the NCAA would never allow to happen. Who would play in the Sugar, Rose, Orange, Cotton, etc. Bowls?

Latest posts