HOW ABOUT JOE MOORHEAD???

Teddy

Might be a very good hire. He's always done well as an OC, pretty average as an HC. Also has some interesting recruiting connections.

Thoughts?

Might be a very good hire. He's always done well as an OC, pretty average as an HC. Also has some interesting recruiting connections.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure he would move the needle for me.

Some excerpts from his Wiki page below. He was like 0-5 in postseason games as a head coach. He was 11 games over .500 as a HC. He's 4-20 at Akron as a HC. I realize you are asking about hiring for the OC position at Iowa, but I think his teams records and lack of success in the postseason shows that something is amiss.

"Moorhead led the Bulldogs to an 8–4 record in 2018, tied for the most wins for a first-year coach in school history. However, his second season got off to a rough start when it emerged that 10 players allowed a tutor to take tests and complete coursework for them. The players were all suspended for eight games, severely limiting the Bulldogs' depth. Fans were also angered by a pedestrian offense and upsets by Kansas State and Tennessee."

I listed Moorhead in my original thread on the subject.

Much like Chryst and Philbin, he would be a "comfortable" choice for Kirk. Even though he has failed thus far as a HC, he was very effective as an OC during his Penn State tenure.

Unlike Chryst, Moorhead probably would be in it for the long hall even if successful. I doubt he would have a quick opportunity to jump into another HC position. If Chryst came in and turned things around, it's hard to imagine he would last over two seasons. Someone would poach him.

I listed Moorhead in my original thread on the subject.

Much like Chryst and Philbin, he would be a "comfortable" choice for Kirk. Even though he has failed thus far as a HC, he was very effective as an OC during his Penn State tenure.

Unlike Chryst, Moorhead probably would be in it for the long hall even if successful. I doubt he would have a quick opportunity to jump into another HC position. If Chryst came in and turned things around, it's hard to imagine he would last over two seasons. Someone would poach him.
I dunno. Looking at his coaching Hx he moves pretty much every or every other year, even more than most coaches working up the ladder, I think.

I dunno. Looking at his coaching Hx he moves pretty much every or every other year, even more than most coaches working up the ladder, I think.
He definitely has jumped around, but after failing as a HC, it will be hard for him to get another chance at least for a few years. If he has success, no doubt he would open some eyes though. Probability-wise, (assuming similar success) it's more likely that Chryst would garner offers sooner.

That's the uncomfortable paradox we are facing as Hawkeye fans - any coach who comes in and turns this offense around will be viewed as a miracle worker, and will be tough to keep in the fold. Offensive coordinator for Iowa is very unlikely to be viewed as a destination job.

The ideal way for Kirk to frame it would be to identify someone who is young and talented and hang the future "replacement when I retire" carrot in front of him. I just don't know if that's how Kirk will approach this. If he does, my fear is that it would be Budmayr.

The ideal way for Kirk to frame it would be to identify someone who is young and talented and hang the future "replacement when I retire" carrot in front of him. I just don't know if that's how Kirk will approach this. If he does, my fear is that it would be Budmayr.
And this is how I view the Chryst hire, entice for future hc position

I'm not sure he would move the needle for me.

Some excerpts from his Wiki page below. He was like 0-5 in postseason games as a head coach. He was 11 games over .500 as a HC. He's 4-20 at Akron as a HC. I realize you are asking about hiring for the OC position at Iowa, but I think his teams records and lack of success in the postseason shows that something is amiss.

"Moorhead led the Bulldogs to an 8–4 record in 2018, tied for the most wins for a first-year coach in school history. However, his second season got off to a rough start when it emerged that 10 players allowed a tutor to take tests and complete coursework for them. The players were all suspended for eight games, severely limiting the Bulldogs' depth. Fans were also angered by a pedestrian offense and upsets by Kansas State and Tennessee."
No one can win at Akron, they haven't been good since Neil Young wrote OHIO. That is a dead end job that doesn't pay well.

Bill O'Brien may well be out of a job at the Patriots if Belichick is gone, unless they would hire him as the head coach. Currently the OC & QB coach and a friend of Kirk Ferentz. Likewise if he came, could be short term if he empowered the offense.

I would be on board if KF hired an NFL guy, like O’Brian. Has a big upside including being tough enough to stand up to Kirk. Good Godfrey, he worked with BB! But in the end, when we look at Chryst, Moorhead, Philbin, I am frankly impressed with those under consideration. Yes. I am aware that none of the above have said yes to Iowa, as far as we know, anyway.

I hope he picks the best possible recruiter. The best OC in the country isn’t going to light it up with our talent on the line, at receiver or at QB.

I would be on board if KF hired an NFL guy, like O’Brian. Has a big upside including being tough enough to stand up to Kirk. Good Godfrey, he worked with BB! But in the end, when we look at Chryst, Moorhead, Philbin, I am frankly impressed with those under consideration. Yes. I am aware that none of the above have said yes to Iowa, as far as we know, anyway.
I think they prob already have one pegged.

Latest posts