Horrendous Defensive Gameplan

Seriously? Did you even watch the game? Toussaint was completely outmatched last night. It was painful to watch. That would be the last thing I would criticize Fran for.
I disagree 100%. Simpson could not stay with him, and at the end of the game Simpson got cocky and tried to prove that he could blow by Toussaint. He couldn't. Toussaint turned him over.

Toussaint is the future of this program. He's the best defensive player on the team and he needs to be on the floor more.

. . . . . On Toussaint, I have no clue why Fran is helbent on holding him back it seems . . .

In both halfs, Toussaint got pulled (at least against Mich) as soon as he turned the ball over. The guy is a freshman playing in a true road game. Leave him in. Iowa was within 7 points in the 2nd half with Toussaint in the game. Mich went on a 6 or 8 pt run as soon as Toussaint sat. Iowa never got into single digits again.

Seriously? Did you even watch the game? Toussaint was completely outmatched last night. It was painful to watch. That would be the last thing I would criticize Fran for.
He was outmatched on defense? Fran pulled him twice for turnovers not for defense. Who on Iowa wasn’t outmatched on defense last night? Our guards couldn’t get anything due to Michigan’s pressure defense, but Toussaint got by his guy a few times. Did you watch the game? I’m thinking you didn’t. Toussaint is far from perfect, but last night is a game we needed more of him, many posters have said the same thing.

Here is a stat to back up my claim that Toussaint is our best perimeter defender:

Defensive ratings Iowa (lower number is better - I only included regulars):
1. Toussaint 99.1
2. Garza 100
3. Kriener 100.1
4. Wieskamp 102.5
5. McCaffery 105

Advanced defensive stats are far from perfect, but that is saying that Toussaint is our best perimeter defender by a decent margin.

I disagree 100%. Simpson could not stay with him, and at the end of the game Simpson got cocky and tried to prove that he could blow by Toussaint. He couldn't. Toussaint turned him over.

Toussaint is the future of this program. He's the best defensive player on the team and he needs to be on the floor more.
In both halfs, Toussaint got pulled (at least against Mich) as soon as he turned the ball over. The guy is a freshman playing in a true road game. Leave him in. Iowa was within 7 points in the 2nd half with Toussaint in the game. Mich went on a 6 or 8 pt run as soon as Toussaint sat. Iowa never got into single digits again.
Thank you. I’m glad I’m not the only one who saw what was happening out there.

Toussaint has been on the floor a few times over the last four games where Iowa’s defense actually looked respectable got some stops and then we made some runs. The defensive rating stat I included above has him as Iowa’s top defender, and I’m not surprised by that. Offensively he does have some issues, but last night he was needed on that end for his penetration as Michigan’s game plan was to pressure our slower guards.

Thank you. I’m glad I’m not the only one who saw what was happening out there.

Toussaint has been on the floor a few times over the last four games where Iowa’s defense actually looked respectable got some stops and then we made some runs. The defensive rating stat I included above has him as Iowa’s top defender, and I’m not surprised by that. Offensively he does have some issues, but last night he was needed on that end for his penetration as Michigan’s game plan was to pressure our slower guards.

Like someone else said, Toussaint should be seeing the court 30 min game. Especially in close games. He brings a new speed the defense isn't expecting, causing the defender to foul when T blows by them. He's going to be really dangerous when he starts making his shots.

Like someone else said, Toussaint should be seeing the court 30 min game. Especially in close games. He brings a new speed the defense isn't expecting, causing the defender to foul when T blows by them. He's going to be really dangerous when he starts making his shots.

The point I was making is that in game like Michigan, where every guard in the game is uber athletic and JBo/Connor/CJ can't penetrate or get their own shot, Toussaint has to get a much larger piece of the minute pie. He can do things the others can't and create opportunities for others. He puts pressure on the defense. Fran's a good offensive coach...at his next press conference...I bet dollars to donuts he says he should have played him more.

Toussaint is also a better defender than any of the three above.

Scoring 90+ and losing reminds me of the ‘17-‘18 season hope this was an outlier not a sign of things to come

Toussaint will get more minutes when Jbo shuts it down.

I have been staring at this roster for like 10 minutes now, playing with various lineup combos. 2 guys standout: Evelyn and Weiskamp. Everyone else you know what you are getting. If Evelyn was more of an offensive threat you could put him on the floor more. Weiskamp struggled big time in this game on the defensive end, but we have all seen that he can be a good defender.

Those 2 guys create flexibility on both ends of the court.

Toussaint will get more minutes when Jbo shuts it down.

I have been staring at this roster for like 10 minutes now, playing with various lineup combos. 2 guys standout: Evelyn and Weiskamp. Everyone else you know what you are getting. If Evelyn was more of an offensive threat you could put him on the floor more. Weiskamp struggled big time in this game on the defensive end, but we have all seen that he can be a good defender.

Those 2 guys create flexibility on both ends of the court.
I can't put my finger on what is going on with Wieskamp, but his play so far this season concerns me. Maybe it's just the old sophomore slump, but unfortunately, this team is not deep enough to absorb that. He's got to wake up and start playing like we all know JW can play.

I can't put my finger on what is going on with Wieskamp, but his play so far this season concerns me. Maybe it's just the old sophomore slump, but unfortunately, this team is not deep enough to absorb that. He's got to wake up and start playing like we all know JW can play.

I agree. It just seems like this team has so much more to offer, which is a good thing. Wieskamp can play much better. CJ can get healthy and take on a bigger role. Joe T can start getting more minutes and settle down a bit. We are already a third of the way through the season and look like a bubble team. If the three things that I mentioned can all happen fairly soon, we can be a tournament team.

The point I was making is that in game like Michigan, where every guard in the game is uber athletic and JBo/Connor/CJ can't penetrate or get their own shot, Toussaint has to get a much larger piece of the minute pie. He can do things the others can't and create opportunities for others. He puts pressure on the defense. Fran's a good offensive coach...at his next press conference...I bet dollars to donuts he says he should have played him more.

Toussaint is also a better defender than any of the three above.

Mich & SDSU. Our close losses.

I saw iowa didn't have any defensive rebounds in the last 10:20 of the game. That seems impossible.

This is what we get with Fran. It is Iowa basketball. Basically the opposite of Iowa football. Ten years with Fran. We know what we are getting.

That's exactly what l saw. Joe T and the second team were starting to rattle Michigan then Mac puts in a clearly in pain JBo and they go on a 6 to 8 point run. Mac waited until the 2 minute Mark to start playing Joe T on D and alternating JBo on Offense. So Mac knows Joe T plays better defense but Mac doesn't seem to value it. JBo apparently has pain in both hips now, hours on a plane, bus, and sitting can't be helping much. Is playing JBo worth it to pick up a couple of wins. I think Mac needs to see the bigger picture now and use this year to set up next year. I really don't care about this teams win/loss record if they are building to something great next year.

Latest posts