Hopefully this is another Wake-Up call

OSU figured out how to beat us. One pass quick passes to break the press, don't give our slow guards an inch off and on the ball and double team Cook and Garza immediately as they are turnover prone. Recipe for success.

They are 10-5 in the the best conference in the country in 2019. The best conference. 5-2 in February. That's playing pretty well. I know it's hard to have perspective after a beat down, but other good teams have lost in similar fashion in this league on any given night.

Think about that - Iowa is 10-5 in the best conference in the country over the last 2 months and people are still talking about a Fran fade or needing wake up calls?

D0RrOEnX0AIfEZd.png:large

I will add, in addition to playing in the best conference, I think they are probably getting team's best effort against them. Hear me out. Yes, teams at the top of the conference are on the radar and get team's best efforts as well, but Iowa is in a very unique spot at 6th and still ranked and viewed as a Q1 team. Those on the NCAA bubble or needing a Q1 win view Iowa as the best chance to get a Q1 win and hopefully above any bubble. Teams will definitely give their all against Iowa for these reasons, some out of desperation like Indiana or the Ohio States of the world trying to get above that bubble status.

Teams may not have the same mind frame playing a top team such as Mich St or Michigan than having a shot against Iowa. I think you look at this as a silver lining and hope Iowa's been getting every teams best punch, such as the Rutgers and NW teams. They all wanted to knock Iowa off for that "good" win or Q1 win. Iowa's been a target in that 6th position and being the last team ranked.

I agree that they can play better. I'm just not sure this team has that high of a ceiling. That doesn't mean they cant get hot at the right time and make a run tho.
In today’s game it’s all about getting hot, getting help and maybe getting lucky IMO. See Michigan last year. Other teams cleared the bracket. They hit a 40 foot plus shot to advance early. A couple guys started scoring. No one will ever convince me they were the 2nd best NCAA team last year.

In today’s game it’s all about getting hot, getting help and maybe getting lucky IMO. See Michigan last year. Other teams cleared the bracket. They hit a 40 foot plus shot to advance early. A couple guys started scoring. No one will ever convince me they were the 2nd best NCAA team last year.
In a single elimination 68 team tournament the two best teams don’t always make it. Michigan was however a very good team which is why they won the Big ten tournament and went to the national championship game. You don’t win that many single elimination games in a row if you aren’t a pretty darn good club.

In a single elimination 68 team tournament the two best teams don’t always make it. Michigan was however a very good team which is why they won the Big ten tournament and went to the national championship game. You don’t win that many single elimination games in a row if you aren’t a pretty darn good club.
I agree they were good just not special. This is their NCAA gauntlet.

14 - Montana
6 - Houston...miracle shot to advance
7 - Texas A&M
9 - Florida State
11 - Loyola
1 - Villanova

I think this year’s Iowa team could make the finals against this group. I think another 15 to 20 teams also could.

14 - Montana
7 - Texas A&M
9 - Florida State
11 - Loyola
1 - Villanova

I think this year’s Iowa team could make the finals against this group. I think another 15 to 20 teams also could.
Villanova’s opponents...

I don’t think Michigan makes it through this group.

14 - Montana
7 - Texas A&M
9 - Florida State
11 - Loyola
1 - Villanova

Yep, it's all about matchups in the Tournament. Here's who Michigan played and the alternatives. Look at all of the teams Michigan ended up NOT playing. And, does anyone remember Xavier was a #1 seed last year! And so was Nova! The Big East had two #1 seeds!
- #7 Texas A&M (who upset #2 North Carolina)
- #9 Florida State (who upset #1 Xavier (what?) and #4 Gonzaga)
- #11 Loyola (who upsett #3 Tennessee, #7 Nevada, and #9 Kansas State - who beat #5 Kentucky and didn't have to play Virginia)