Hopefully this is another Wake-Up call

NikeHawk21

This team has responded well to a bad loss on a couple occasions this year. We haven’t been playing good ball lately for whatever reason. Sure we eeked out a couple wins vs very marginal teams but we aren’t flowing the same way we were earlier in the season.

Hopefully this team sticks together and start playing harder on both ends.

This team has responded well to a bad loss on a couple occasions this year. We haven’t been playing good ball lately for whatever reason. Sure we eeked out a couple wins vs very marginal teams but we aren’t flowing the same way we were earlier in the season.

Hopefully this team sticks together and start playing harder on both ends.

Honestly would you have trusted this team to not come out with big heads in the tournament if they were on a big winning streak? Win 3 straight, then 2 in the Big 10 tournament before a embarrassing blowout loss. That's how I want to get into the tourney.

They lost to an athletic team in an away game. The big ten is tough and we're good but definitely not a championship team. Enjoy the good season hopefully we can get to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

They are 10-5 in the the best conference in the country in 2019. The best conference. 5-2 in February. That's playing pretty well. I know it's hard to have perspective after a beat down, but other good teams have lost in similar fashion in this league on any given night.

Think about that - Iowa is 10-5 in the best conference in the country over the last 2 months and people are still talking about a Fran fade or needing wake up calls?

D0RrOEnX0AIfEZd.png:large

Need to grab 2 out of the last 3. Rutgers is non negotiable...we need a blowout there. Then likely Nebraska, though a win at trash Wisky would be nice.

Pretty much everyone has known that we aren't a great team this year and a 1-3 schedule down the stretch was likely given the schedule. But if it happens, it will be remembered as a Fran fade.

People say we went undefeated in the non conference because our schedule sucked. Then they say we are lucky because we won some close games, like it should never happen. Add those things together and it sounds like a lot of people don't think we are very good. Now people are talking about a late season collapse? How can a bad team who lucked their way to a good record collapse? It should be guys like me, InGoodCo, and Windsor that are talking collapse. You know, the people who actually think this team is good enough to collapse? The negative guys should be taking the "I told you so" route instead of pretending they thought we were good and fell apart. Of course the team still has a chance to win some games too. So there's that.

They are 10-5 in the the best conference in the country in 2019. The best conference. 5-2 in February. That's playing pretty well. I know it's hard to have perspective after a beat down, but other good teams have lost in similar fashion in this league on any given night.

Think about that - Iowa is 10-5 in the best conference in the country over the last 2 months and people are still talking about a Fran fade or needing wake up calls?

D0RrOEnX0AIfEZd.png:large
I’m not saying sky is falling I’m just saying we need to play better. Connor talked about it after the game the effort sucked.

We haven’t been playing well lately it’s just that simple. We played Indiana twice who has won 2 total games in the last 7 weeks. We played NW who is the worst team in the B1G and 69 in the KenPom at home. We played Rutgers who is 79 in the KenPom.

Iowa themselves has fallen from mid 20s in the KenPom to now 33, behind OSU.

So yes while it’s great we won those close games we can still play better ball. This team has shown great resiliency a few times this year, hopefully they can do it again. Regardless of W/L I believe they can play much better ball than they have over the last 5 games.

Pretty much everyone has known that we aren't a great team this year and a 1-3 schedule down the stretch was likely given the schedule. But if it happens, it will be remembered as a Fran fade.

People say we went undefeated in the non conference because our schedule sucked. Then they say we are lucky because we won some close games, like it should never happen. Add those things together and it sounds like a lot of people don't think we are very good. Now people are talking about a late season collapse? How can a bad team who lucked their way to a good record collapse? It should be guys like me, InGoodCo, and Windsor that are talking collapse. You know, the people who actually think this team is good enough to collapse? The negative guys should be taking the "I told you so" route instead of pretending they thought we were good and fell apart. Of course the team still has a chance to win some games too. So there's that.
I’m not saying we are collapsing, I’m saying we haven’t been playing good ball over the last 5 and we need to get back on track. They’ve shown resiliency a few times this year to get it turned around let’s hope they do it again.

I’m not saying sky is falling I’m just saying we need to play better. Connor talked about it after the game the effort sucked.

We haven’t been playing well lately it’s just that simple. We played Indiana twice who has won 2 total games in the last 7 weeks. We played NW who is the worst team in the B1G and 69 in the KenPom at home. We played Rutgers who is 79 in the KenPom.

So yes while it’s great we won those close games we can still play better ball. This team has shown great resiliency a few times this year, hopefully they can do it again. Regardless of W/L I believe they can play much better ball than they have over the last 5 games.

I'm just saying, not that concerned. This conference is a bear and a lot of teams struggle to get to the finish line historically. Now with 20 games? In what might be the strongest the B1G has been in a long while according to a lot of KP matrix? Not shocking. They are capable of playing better, it's just not as concerning to me considering this is part of the season when all the teams play their tough games.

If the physical play with no (foul) consequence continues we will struggle. That’s not our style. I don’t think it’s Michigan’s style either. But our style fits well with how NCAA games are called and we have some talent.

I agree that they can play better. I'm just not sure this team has that high of a ceiling. That doesn't mean they cant get hot at the right time and make a run tho.

I don't think we learned anything about our team last night that we didn't already know. Our best defense is our zone to protect our bigs as well as mask the lack of perimeter quickness that we have with our guards. How do you beat a zone? You shoot over the top of it, which will extend the zone and allow guard penetration or ball reversal entry passes, and you hit the glass. OSU hit a lot of threes last night. Some were open, but they hit atleast four I know of that were desperation at the end of the shot clock, and couple that with a guy that scored 29 when his previous career high was 9. They broke apart our zone with their shooting, broke apart our press with their passing, and Wesson was a load when they broke our zone down. It was textbook and I give them all the credit for that, but most people would take that bet that OSU can't shoot like that again.

With us offensively, it really came down to turnovers, rebounding and officiating. The fact that OSU couldn't miss in the second half really put a lot of pressure on us on offense, and the lack of officiating negated a huge part of our game which is to put a ton of pressure on the interior of their defense, get them in foul trouble and go to the line. The officiating was atrocious, as it has been here lately across the league, and it would take a lot to convince me that there is not an agenda by the B1G to get these bubble teams in the tournament.

So it is what it is. We lost, OSU was better and we move on.

I don't think we learned anything about our team last night that we didn't already know. Our best defense is our zone to protect our bigs as well as mask the lack of perimeter quickness that we have with our guards. How do you beat a zone? You shoot over the top of it, which will extend the zone and allow guard penetration or ball reversal entry passes, and you hit the glass. OSU hit a lot of threes last night. Some were open, but they hit atleast four I know of that were desperation at the end of the shot clock, and couple that with a guy that scored 29 when his previous career high was 9. They broke apart our zone with their shooting, broke apart our press with their passing, and Wesson was a load when they broke our zone down. It was textbook and I give them all the credit for that, but most people would take that bet that OSU can't shoot like that again.

With us offensively, it really came down to turnovers, rebounding and officiating. The fact that OSU couldn't miss in the second half really put a lot of pressure on us on offense, and the lack of officiating negated a huge part of our game which is to put a ton of pressure on the interior of their defense, get them in foul trouble and go to the line. The officiating was atrocious, as it has been here lately across the league, and it would take a lot to convince me that there is not an agenda by the B1G to get these bubble teams in the tournament.

So it is what it is. We lost, OSU was better and we move on.

2 teams that still have a chance to get into the tournament got a lot of help from officials last night.