Hoops Forecast: Basabe & McCabe Projections

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Next in our series of 2012-2013 Iowa basketball player projections is a look at Melsahn Basabe & Zach McCabe. Read our thoughts on Devyn Marble & Aaron White at this link.

Melsahn Basabe's 2011-2012 stats: 8.2/ppg, 4.8/rpg, 1.0/blocks: We all know that this past season was not what anyone expected out of Melsahn Basabe. That goes for Mel, Fran McCaffery and the fans. As a true freshman, he averaged 11/ppg, 6.8/rpg and 1.3 blocks per game. That was one of the best seasons by an Iowa freshman big man since Jess Settles. Basabe added over 20 pounds of muscle in the off season which seemed to slow him down. While lithe and springy as a freshman, he was lumbering and at times unmotivated as a sophomore. Basabe shot 65.7% from the free throw line in 2011-2012 compared to over 71% as a freshman. He shot over 57% from the floor as a frsehman and saw that mark drop to below 50% as a sophomore.

Basabe showed signs of his old self in Iowa's two-game NIT stretch. He averaged 16 points & 6.5 rebounds per game during that stretch in just 16 minutes per game. He was running and active in the lane on both ends of the floor. His 13 point, 7 rebound and five block performance against Indiana at home late in the year was also very encouraging.

AREAS TO IMPROVE: We won't see Basabe carrying that extra weight heading into next season. It just didn't work for him, something that was evident the first month of the year. Iowa will also have some help in the pivot next year with Adam Woodbury, Kyle Meyer and Gabe Olaseni. Can those three provide 12 points, 8 boards and 2 blocks per game from the 'five' hole? If so, that helps keep Basabe in the four. A more agile Basabe playing the four is good news for Iowa. Basabe was also more effective as a freshman in the fast break, something a lighter frame will help.

That said, he needs to develop a 'go to' move in the paint with his back to the basket. He's not really a strong jump shooter and I don't know that he ever will be. He's a jumping jack who can fill the running lanes and score opportunity buckets for you in transition or off misses. In Iowa's offense, he needs to be more like the gazelle than the galoot.

ROUGH PROJECTION: Iowa had fewer forward options when Basabe was a freshman. They had Jarryd Cole in the paint which allowed Basabe to be the four. Next year, Basabe can move back to where he is getting more minutes as a four. He'll likely still see some minutes as a five, but he can use his athleticism in transition to score points. He is obviously capable of putting up the numbers he achieved as a freshman, but that may be too high of an expectation for two reasons. One of those reasons is between Mel's ears; does he have the desire to get back there? Only he can answer that. The next reason is a good problem for the program to have; Iowa has more options in the front court. Aaron White will play some four minutes and perhaps some time at the three. Zach McCabe can play both of those positions for a spell, too. Meyer may be better suited for the four spot than the five. However, Basabe is going to have every chance to play the 25 minutes per game he played as a freshman vs the 19.0 he averaged in Big Ten play this past year. He averaged just 6.5/ppg and 3.5/rpg in Big Ten play. He averaged 13.0/7.3 in Big Ten play as a freshman in over 26 minutes per game. I'll go with 10/ppg and 6.0/rpg along with 1.5 blocks per game, though Basabe could exceed those numbers as has in the past.

Zach McCabe 2011-2012 stats: 7.8/ppg, 4.6/rpg, 1.0/apg: There were times during this past year where Zach McCabe looked like he had turned a major corner and could grow into a formidable foe for Iowa opponents. He scored 20 points in back to back games (at Purdue and home against Nebraska, both losses and both games where Iowa led by double digits in the first half) but it took him another ten games after that to score his next 41 points. In that 10 game stretch, McCabe amassed 34 fouls. Over Iowa's last three games, McCabe averaged 13.6/ppg, 5.3/rpg and 4.0/fouls per game.

McCabe really improved his shooting from his freshman to sophomore season, hitting 44.9% from beyond the arc compared to just 28.6% his freshman year. He made 26 trey's as a freshman on 84 attempts compared to 22 on 49 attempts as a sophomore. He averaged 2.0 more points per game as a sophomore and 1.0 more rebounds. The biggest improvement I saw from McCabe, aside from consistency from beyond the arc, was his ability to take players off the drive and finish around the rim.

AREAS TO IMPROVE: The single biggest area where McCabe needs to improve is simply staying on the floor longer. His 119 fouls far and away led the team, as Aaron White's 73 was second on the team. McCabe averaged .15 fouls per minutes played this season, or 3.4 per game. That was 1.2 more fouls per game as a sophomore compared to his freshman season yet he averaged just 1.9 more minutes per game.

Compare those numbers to one of Iowa's more prolific 'foulers' in recent memory, Glen Worley. Worley was whistled for 116 fouls as a sophomore but his average was one foul for every .16 minutes played. As a junior, Worley committed 119 fouls but averaged 27.7 minutes per game for an average of .138 fouls per minute played. So McCabe's 2011-2012 season was one of the most foul-plagued campaigns by a key Iowa player in perhaps the last quarter century.

At times, it seemed like McCabe's reputation preceded him, as he was the victim of more than a few phantom calls. But McCabe cannot draw a foul 20 feet from the basket and he did that more than a few times. His feet are not quick enough to contain a guard that far away from the hoop when he gets caught in a switch coming off a hedge. Back off and give up the 21 foot jumper, a shot that is going to fall maybe 35% of the time and live to fight in the paint on the other end.

McCabe's ability to take four's off the drive is far too important to this team, especially when he is dialed in from beyond the arc. The opponent has to respect that element of his game which means they have to guard him more tightly on the perimeter. That's a green light to take the slower footed four to the rack and score, draw a foul or both. He has the skill, he has a bit of a mean (not dirty) streak to him and he needs to be on the floor 25 minutes per game.

ROUGH PROJECTION: McCabe made decent statistical improvements this past year without a huge jump in minutes played. If he can cut down on his fouls by one per game, get back to 2.5 or 3.0 fouls per game, his numbers are going to go up even if he plays the same amount of minutes. I believe his skill set is capable of averaging more than 10 points per game and six rebounds per game, but will be play a smarter brand of basketball on the defensive end? Limiting fouls outside the lane will go a long way to curing his ills. I think he can do just that and will look for 10&6 from McCabe in 2012-2013.

FRONT COURT TOTALS: When you combine McCabe, Basabe and White's totals from this exercise, you get 34 points per game and 19 rebounds per game. That's an increase of seven points per game and four rebounds per game. Are those totals unrealistic? The numbers projected for Basabe in both scoring and rebounding are beneath those he put up as a true freshman. If McCabe can stay on the floor for four or five more minutes per game, multiplied by his points per minute performance as a sophomore, you get to 9.2/ppg, just 0.8/ppg less than the 10.0/ppg projection.I believe these numbers are attainable for this talented trio.

The problem with these projections is that with White, Basabe and McCabe you have 3 guys who are going to be in your top 7 next year who are best at the same spot. It will be very interesting to see how the minutes play out. All things being equal, you would like either Woodbury and Olesani on the court especially in Big Ten play, but if they are not effective we will have to go back to either Basabe or McCabe at the 5.

Thus predicting the relative contribution of Basabe and McCabe is even more difficult than it is normally. Looking at the way things stand, I think White has to play 28-30 minutes and unless he is getting some of those at the 3 (which is probably a bad idea) there is not a lot of room at the 4 position.

Whoever winds up starting, as a team we have to be able to find a combination of 9-10 guys who can push the pace offensively but still get some stops on the defensive end so things don't get out of hand. This probably means nobody playing more than 30-32 minutes per game. Right now we probably need another player at the wing position to be able to do this effectively.

The problem with these projections is that with White, Basabe and McCabe you have 3 guys who are going to be in your top 7 next year who are best at the same spot. It will be very interesting to see how the minutes play out. All things being equal, you would like either Woodbury and Olesani on the court especially in Big Ten play, but if they are not effective we will have to go back to either Basabe or McCabe at the 5.

Thus predicting the relative contribution of Basabe and McCabe is even more difficult than it is normally. Looking at the way things stand, I think White has to play 28-30 minutes and unless he is getting some of those at the 3 (which is probably a bad idea) there is not a lot of room at the 4 position.

Whoever winds up starting, as a team we have to be able to find a combination of 9-10 guys who can push the pace offensively but still get some stops on the defensive end so things don't get out of hand. This probably means nobody playing more than 30-32 minutes per game. Right now we probably need another player at the wing position to be able to do this effectively.

I think McCabe can get four or five more minutes per game, same with Basabe. I think they can get their increases in that time.

I'd actually like to see Iowa run more zone defense in the half court set too, so they can use those three on the court together more often.

I see you're sticking with the extremely optimistic outlook for Basabe. If Basabe lost minutes from year one to year two with Brommer and Archie as his main backups. He's not going to gain minutes with Woodbury and Meyer coming in and White's continued improvement.

I don't really see Babase or McCabe's minutes increasing next year. I just can't see where those minutes would come from unless somebody gets hurt or Woodbury isn't ready to contribute.

Brommer and Archie averaged a total of 15.4 mpg combined. We have Woodbury and Meyer coming in, and Olaseni is still on the team. Unless Woodbury and Meyer average less than 15.4 mpg combined, it seems to me that Basabe and McCabe's combined minutes will decrease. McCabe seems like a good fit at the 3, and could see some time there, but I think he'll be fighting Marble and May (if healthy) for minutes at that spot.

Brommer and Archie averaged a total of 15.4 mpg combined. We have Woodbury and Meyer coming in, and Olaseni is still on the team. Unless Woodbury and Meyer average less than 15.4 mpg combined, it seems to me that Basabe and McCabe's combined minutes will decrease. McCabe seems like a good fit at the 3, and could see some time there, but I think he'll be fighting Marble and May (if healthy) for minutes at that spot.

no way Brommer and Archie averaged 15 mpg, in fact it would be hard finding more than a few games in which they got a combined 15 min

mccabe is a worse fit at the 3 than white is. white is a defensive liability as a 3. mccabe would be a defensive...i dont know what 10x worse than liability is. mccabe will play at the 3 sparingly and against only teams that play bigger slower men at the 3 spot. and still white is the better fit and still white will only play 5-10 min max at the 3 spot a game.

there will be 5 main guys taking time at the 4 &5 spots. white, basabe, mccabe, woodbury, meyer...olaseni will maybe get time and i see that as mop up minutes like this yr. that is 80 minutes split between 5 guys. that would be an average of 16 min a player.

the following is what i predict for time at the 4 & 5 spots...the + means time at another position:

white - 20+ min (the plus accounts for time at 3)
basabe - 18 min
mccabe - 15+ min (the plus accounts for time at 3)
woodbury - 17 min
meyer - 10 min

mccabe and white will play time at the 3. white 5-10 min a game which gives him a 25-30 min game time. mccabe will play 3-5 min at the 3 which will give him 18-20 min game time. this still leaves marble at the 3 for probably 20+ min along with time at the 2 and 1 for marble puts him around 27-30 min a game. the 30 min a game mark is what i see our guys top out at. no more 35+ min players like gatens as we want to run.

no way Brommer and Archie averaged 15 mpg, in fact it would be hard finding more than a few games in which they got a combined 15 min

You're right, I wasn't taking Brommer and Archie's DNPs into consideration.

Olaseni played in 18 of 35 games, 90 minutes total....out of 35 total games, that's an average of 2.5 minutes per game. Brommer played in 30 games 237 minutes. 237 divided by 35 is 6.8.

I will take the under

I figured so much, you've got White playing 28-30, Basabe 25, McCabe 25. So even if White plays a portion of that at the 3 spot, you still only have about 10-15 mins to split between Meyer and Woodbury. After watching us get demolished inside in several games this year, I think it's unrealistic that Fran isn't going to be able to find more than 10 mins a game to split up between our two freshman big guys.

I guess I just don't see that Jon. Maybe in nonconference we can get away with that but against good teams we are getting killed defensively. It will be very interesting how it plays out. McCabe at the 5 gives you a great 3-point threat but we have to find away to stop teams away from home to win more ball games. I think part of our defensive problems is that we didn't have enough depth for our guys to score and defend well. Hopefully this will be improved next year. However, lack of size and quickness was also a major factor. Thus playing White at the 3 or McCabe/Basabe at the 5 will still be an issue.

I don't think Bryce was operating 100% the entire season. When Mike Gesell arrives, he should be in very good shape, and that will make a diffenence with Basabe especially. He was at his best when he and Bryce worked together. It only happened a few times last season. That will certainly change when Gesell gets on the floor.....

I can definitely see Mel getting at least 12 points a game next season. He will benefit the most from Woodbury and Myers' presence in the middle. There were times last season, not that frequent, unfortunately, that you could see what Mel is capable of.....

There were a lot of games we would not have won without Zach. His footwork vastly improved from his freshman year, and he stopped forcing the ball inside among traffic. He is much smarter and skillful now, and is hard to stop when he gets the ball down low around the basket. That will continue, and when he stops lowering his shoulder on offense, smashing into people, he will be more foul free and on the floor more, which can only help the team.....

Big things lie ahead for the Hawks.....

:)

I will take the under
Woodbury gets 18 just on the fact that it will allow Mel and Basabe to stay at the four the majority of the time and for defensive purposes.I think he plays about 22-25 MPG.

I am in agreement with Jon and take the under on 18min a game.

If history is an indicator and you look at IA's last two legitimate centers, Jared Reiner and Acie Earl it will be less.

Reiner played 12 min a game his freshman year and Earl after RS played 16.

I really like Woodbury and believe he will be a very good to great center for the Hawks. Just maybe not in his first couple of years.

As for Basabe and McCabe, I think both improve. Basabe slightly but I think McCabe may end up being our 3rd leading scorer and have a great year.

I am in agreement with Jon and take the under on 18min a game.

If history is an indicator and you look at IA's last two legitimate centers, Jared Reiner and Acie Earl it will be less.

Reiner played 12 min a game his freshman year and Earl after RS played 16.

I really like Woodbury and believe he will be a very good to great center for the Hawks. Just maybe not in his first couple of years.

As for Basabe and McCabe, I think both improve. Basabe slightly but I think McCabe may end up being our 3rd leading scorer and have a great year.

And those teams have nothing at all to do with the 2012-2013 Iowa team. This team needs a big guy. Who is going to get all the minutes at the 5 if Woodbury plays less than 18 MPG?

Latest posts