Honest SEC speed question

How well did the other conferences fair?

First off, I have to correct my previous post. I actually took data from the 2012 combine (if it really matters). Just wanted a small sample an I used times below 4.5. Anyway, the breakdown was:

Big Ten 11 (including McNutt's 4.48)
ACC 11
SEC 10
Big 12 9
PAC 12 4

The SEC has more talent on a per team basis than any other conference. The reason is rather boring, more schools are in talent rich areas and the kids growing up only care about football. And has said before, they have guys with speed and size. Anyone can get a track guy to run a 4.4 but if he can't do anything else, who cares?

Kirk is 4-1 against the SEC, so obviously being bigger and more physical doesn't work...

This brings up an interesting question. Is Kirk 4-1 (counting Mizz win because they are a current SEC member) against the SEC in bowl games or 3-1 (not counting the Mizz win because they were not in the SEC at the time Iowa played them)?

First off, I have to correct my previous post. I actually took data from the 2012 combine (if it really matters). Just wanted a small sample an I used times below 4.5. Anyway, the breakdown was:

Big Ten 11 (including McNutt's 4.48)
ACC 11
SEC 10
Big 12 9
PAC 12 4

Thanks

In all honesty, I think football speed is more important then just speed. How quick and agile a guys is without pads means nothing. NFL combine should make them run with and without pads on. It would help gauge the drop.

In all honesty, I think football speed is more important then just speed. How quick and agile a guys is without pads means nothing. NFL combine should make them run with and without pads on. It would help gauge the drop.

Jerry Rice is the perfect example of this. He was never known as a speed WR but how many times did he get run down from behind?

Last edited:
With me being from the south I watch alot of sec football. The big diffrence I see as far as speed diffrence is in the Dlines and LBs other than that I think the BIG matches up good in speed.

This is a fact. Joe Haden a cornerback for the Browns ran an embarrassing 4.7 I believe at the combine coming out of Florida. He is arguably one of the better cover corners in the league now.

As for the speed deal, to me it's fairly simple, it's all about the demographics. There is clearly a bigger talent pool in the southeast and it isn't close. Even Texas and California. More people living in warmer areas where they can play football 24/7. It's also an easy collegiate baseball excuse as well.

Honestly, the biggest difference when people sa SEC speed is merely from the o and D-lineman....that's the biggest differences, skilled positions are the same or close to just about everyone else. I know the Big 10 usually likes those big strong 6'3" 330lbs guys up front......the sec will take them a little lighter if they can run.....it's more of why you see them average 305 to 315 across both fronts.....but most of those guys are running 5.0-5.3's. The big defensive ends...averaging 250-280...those guys run anywhere from a 4.5 t a 4.9. Barkevious Mingo last years d-end from lsu a 4.6 guy.

Latest posts