Honest SEC speed question

vegashawki

Why is it they are so much faster in SEC? Do they do different speed drills in their football camps, run with longer strides, or perhaps just believe they are faster so therefore they are? And recruits that come to the B1G from SEC country at which point on the map do they lose their SEC speed? Missouri has SEC speed now so.... how did they find away around it how did they fool the SEC speed monitors? Honest question because all the talk of SEC speed has me seriously confused and I no longer want to feel like a bride left at the alter- confused and alone.

As you cross the Ohio River, your leg muscles begin to contract abnormally and do not regain elasticity and flexibility until you cross back over.

Because ESPN says it's true. Outside of that, they really aren't. As a whole, there were 10 SEC players at the NFL combine that ran sub-4.5. Not saying that's bad, but you always hear about these 4.4 and 4.3 guys, but they just don't exist outside of the exceptional player.

I just heard SEC speed references 5 times in about 10 minutes on espn. Ugh.

Its quantity, depth, and location. Honestly, the only true speed variance is when referencing speed of the dline, again...depth and quantity. Its sooooo over exaggerated its sick.

I think the real difference is on the DLine. I've seen some of those teams and the DLinemen are freeks. And they have more guys with Powel speed - LSU will probably have half a dozen guys who can run line Powel.

I think the real difference is on the DLine. I've seen some of those teams and the DLinemen are freeks. And they have more guys with Powel speed - LSU will probably have half a dozen guys who can run line Powel.

Speed is neutralized by going directly at those guys and running more inside zone than outside zone...also by running play action boot legs to keep them honest and their gaps.

I think we do both of those very well when we let ourselves (meaning playcalling and not overthinking things)

I think the existence of SEC speed is primarily found in the big guys. Lineman on both sides of the ball, backers, power RBs, in the SEC all these guys are quick. In the Big 10, there are a lot of slow lineman (many of which are really good), but there aren't really any slow lineman in the SEC.

The little guys (WRs, DBs, returners) are fast everywhere. The pac 12 has guys with great speed, the Big 10, SEC, and east coast all have very fast little guys. So when people (analysts) address the speed thing from a skill position perspective, I disagree with that.

Although, if one is to argue that the SEC has better players all around, then they probably are faster.

So when people talk about "Will the Big 10 team be able to handle the SEC team's speed, I think they are really asking,

Can a huge (and slow) O Line from the Big 10 block SEC D lineman and LBs?

Honest point: research shows stride length has NO bearing on speed. In fact, most people on this planet have similar stride length (I know, it doesn't seem right. But it is).

Fun point: SEC speed develops once the temperature gets over 65 degrees over a period of 7 months. Any less and it goes away. Thus the effect on recruits from the midwest, etc. I hear Nebby is installing a huge heater later this month.

Kirk is 4-1 against the SEC, so obviously being bigger and more physical doesn't work...

Are you saying what I think you're saying...is it possible Kirk out coaches the great SEC coaches then due to the lesser talent we have in the B1G?! Shut the front door! The fact that he is 4-1 against SEC superiority is blowing my mind.

Why is it they are so much faster in SEC? Do they do different speed drills in their football camps, run with longer strides, or perhaps just believe they are faster so therefore they are? And recruits that come to the B1G from SEC country at which point on the map do they lose their SEC speed? Missouri has SEC speed now so.... how did they find away around it how did they fool the SEC speed monitors? Honest question because all the talk of SEC speed has me seriously confused and I no longer want to feel like a bride left at the alter- confused and alone.

As one moves closer to the polar regions of the planet, gravity acts differently. Since the earth is spherical but not completely round (as once thought). The surface of the earth closer to the poles is closer to the earths core that at the equatorial region. So with less gravity to slow you down the faster you fun. And if you believe this I have some ocean-front property in Arizona to sell ya. :mad:

its all a hoax. when Urban Meyer came up north he also brought the speed with him for all to enjoy.

Because ESPN says it's true. Outside of that, they really aren't. As a whole, there were 10 SEC players at the NFL combine that ran sub-4.5. Not saying that's bad, but you always hear about these 4.4 and 4.3 guys, but they just don't exist outside of the exceptional player.

How well did the other conferences fair?

Latest posts