Honest question...when Ruddock does the dreaded "check down"

Seth53

Has the following play **ever** been anything other than a stretch to the short side of the field?

What is going on with that? I truly don't get it.

I'd like an answer to that question as well. Lets say I was a defensive coordinator. On 1st down, I'm playing 8 men in the box, tight to the outside of the OTs. That will trigger the audible to the flat (or the check down) on the short side of the field. As soon as he makes that audible, I have my LBs sprint to the flat to make the easy tackle. My CBs are playing right over the WRs, a step inside and looking right in at the QB. Hoping to get a jump on that flat pass or assist in making the tackle for a 2 yard gain.
It's not hard to dictate what our offense does. It's poorly schemed.

One other thing to pay attention to....when JR is under center, look at the side his hips are open to....that's the side the run is going to....if they're square to the LOS, then it's going to be a pass. Also, I think whichever side of the OL he audibles to first, it'll be a run to that side. His tells are just awful....

One other thing to pay attention to....when JR is under center, look at the side his hips are open to....that's the side the run is going to....if they're square to the LOS, then it's going to be a pass. Also, I think whichever side of the OL he audibles to first, it'll be a run to that side. His tells are just awful....

Wow. If this is true, it needs to be corrected immediately.

Every time he checks down I die a little bit inside, my blood pressure raises one point, I get another grey hair, my life blood is sucked out of me drop by drop.

Every time he checks down I die a little bit inside, my blood pressure raises one point, I get another grey hair, my life blood is sucked out of me drop by drop.

I think you may have associated your well-being a bit too closely with Iowa football. Just my opinion.

I've used this before, but it's like sticking toothpicks in my eyes, putting my nut sack in a blender. Anything but the check down please

And the h3ll of it is, the defense sees it as we telegraph it and they adjust and it goes for 2 yards.

Once, maybe twice, but over a dozen times this year?

Again, I just don't get it.

Wow. If this is true, it needs to be corrected immediately.

I guess i haven't really been paying attention after the standard point/double point to mike linebacker that every QB does I just assumed that was it.

628x471.jpg

So what is going on here?

dmrdc5-6cj92udqblgx525ks8_original.jpg

My fear of Rudock all along is that he is KF's wet dream @ qb - all brains and no balls, so to speak. Not "no balls" in the sense of questioning his toughness (which I don't), but in the sense I think he's terrified to make an even moderately risky decision.

My fear of Rudock all along is that he is KF's wet dream @ qb - all brains and no balls, so to speak. Not "no balls" in the sense of questioning his toughness (which I don't), but in the sense I think he's terrified to make an even moderately risky decision.

It may very well be that Ruddock doesn't even know what a moderately risky decision is. Could it be that G.D. and K.F. have never reviewed w/ him what a pass outside of -1 yards is? His only exposure to this would be watching Bethard in which i'm sure K.F./G.D. would consider a huge misque in our scheme. I'm going to go ahead and give the benefit of the doubt to the player; whereas w/ G.D./K.F. i'm going to place blame as their track record has shown this to be the case.

tldr; Ruddock not scared just never shown how to QB (intentionally)

To the op's question I saw a check down against Maryland where the running back turned it inside the right tackle. It was to the short side of the field and may have been a stretch play. Come t think of it it was a stretch play. The running back cut back. I guess this long answer really means no I haven't.

I'd like an answer to that question as well. Lets say I was a defensive coordinator. On 1st down, I'm playing 8 men in the box, tight to the outside of the OTs. That will trigger the audible to the flat (or the check down) on the short side of the field. As soon as he makes that audible, I have my LBs sprint to the flat to make the easy tackle. My CBs are playing right over the WRs, a step inside and looking right in at the QB. Hoping to get a jump on that flat pass or assist in making the tackle for a 2 yard gain.
It's not hard to dictate what our offense does. It's poorly schemed.

that's when you should run a skinny post down the middle of the field to a TE. The key is downfield Greg Ferentz!

that's when you should run a skinny post down the middle of the field to a TE. The key is downfield Greg Ferentz!

How soon we forget. What was the first play the offense ran? An audible that sent Jake Duzey on a skinny post. Went for 12 yards. Another play that screams "Why not run this play more often?"

Isn't the dreaded "check down" the play/process that basically hamstrung JVB his senior year and turn what was once thought to be a promising season at QB into a disaster??

I we talking audibles or check downs?

both have generally led to a less than 3 yard gain.

This was my question as well. Was confused reading through the tread, wondering, "Do the people that think they know more than Ferentz/Davis not even know the difference between an audible and a check down?" Yikes!

Thing of it is, the play has actually worked well in the past with Marcus Coker(osu 2010 , mich 2011), who had a couple of TDs on it I believe. I just don't think the right side of the line is as good as it has been in the past though.

This was my question as well. Was confused reading through the tread, wondering, "Do the people that think they know more than Ferentz/Davis not even know the difference between an audible and a check down?" Yikes!

haha. I based my response on the title of the OP "check downs" w/o really reading the responses. Now reading through, it is clear that this should have read audibles.

Tecmo Bowl is how i would describe our "audible" options.