Holy shit - 1986 Iowa basketball recruiting video

SwirlinLingerie

So, maybe others have seen this before, but I first discovered it last night.

For someone who grew up in Iowa City in the 1980s, this is pretty much the greatest thing ever.

There are a lot of feels for me in this one - a lot of feels.

Lots of texts flying around with buddies from high school last night over this. I'm still absorbing it all.

Not even sure what to break down first - so much to talk about.

So, maybe others have seen this before, but I first discovered it last night.

For someone who grew up in Iowa City in the 1980s, this is pretty much the greatest thing ever.

There are a lot of feels for me in this one - a lot of feels.

Lots of texts flying around with buddies from high school last night over this. I'm still absorbing it all.

Not even sure what to break down first - so much to talk about.

Great find.

Derrick Rose's agent is in that video.

What the hell is this supposed to mean? Just because there's an agent doesn't mean anything. The connection between disgraced Michigan booster Ed Martin and George Raveling is nothing but a conspiracy theory based on nothing other than conjecture, hearsay and innuendo. Raveling legitimately recruited all those dudes who just happened to want to play at Iowa and the fact that those recruiting classes set the high water mark of the program for the past 4 decades doesn't mean shit. I will not stand by idly and listen to these scurrilous attacks.

Oh wait, you mean BJ Armstrong? Carry on.

Wow. That's amazing.

Dude, did you ever get Hawkeye Fever working? I thought you said you bought the record. If you have it working can you please rip it onto YouTube tonight so we can jam out before we kick Auburn's ass tomorrow? Thanks.

Dude, did you ever get Hawkeye Fever working? I thought you said you bought the record. If you have it working can you please rip it onto YouTube tonight so we can jam out before we kick Auburn's ass tomorrow? Thanks.
I did buy it, it's still in the cellophane. Frickin record players everywhere I look are $399.

Like wine snobs did to wine, the fake news of audiophilia plus hipsters have driven the price of that commodity through the roof.

I did buy it, it's still in the cellophane. Frickin record players everywhere I look are $399.

Like wine snobs did to wine, the fake news of audiophilia plus hipsters have driven the price of that commodity through the roof.

Good God. Welp, I guess we'll just have to wait until this all asset class bubble unwinds and you can get one one eBay for fitty bucks. *Kicks pebble*

I wonder if Lohaus majored in business...considering he ran the Airliner into the ground....

Can you get any more 80's than that?

Nautilus strength equipment.

Black and Gold striped hawkeye polo shirts.

Sir Jamalot filling the lane and finishing like no one has done at Iowa before or since (including Doug Thomas).

Dick Enberg and Al McGuire at the mike for a Saturday afternoon telecast.

I lived all that and more. The game footage wasn't taken during the Davis era however. It was Raveling's final season. Iowa went away from the cursive gold in Tom's first year. And #4 Andre Banks never played for Davis.

Those locker room facilities were considered state of the art then. They would be horribly antiquated today.

Sir Jamalot filling the lane and finishing like no one has done at Iowa before or since (including Doug Thomas).

I lived all that and more. The game footage wasn't taken during the Davis era however. It was Raveling's final season. Iowa went away from the cursive gold in Tom's first year. And #4 Andre Banks never played for Davis.

Those locker room facilities were considered state of the art then. They would be horribly antiquated today.

George was a magnificent recruiter

Couldn't handle the goldfish bowl atmosphere at Iowa

Had to relax on the bench in a leisure suit by himself during games as time went on

Villanova All-American

I remember that thread. I’d like to hear that, too…

C’mon Fryowa, bone up and get that sound system

I will forever, without remorse, **hate** UNLV.
Can't hate on UNLV. You don't play uptempo and press ALL season regardless of lead and then decide to slow it down.

No doubt they were best team in country. One unfortunate halftime adjustment... Still stings after all these decades but reminder that those teams had DUDES!!

I noticed that too. I think it was a recruiting pitch video made during Davis' first fall on campus, so all the game film was from the year before. No 3 point line either, which was implemented in Davis' first year.

In a lot of ways, that video was the peak of Iowa basketball. Players recruited by both Lute and Raveling, with Davis teaching full court pressure and explaining what it was like to be a D1 player in Iowa City. He probably understood and was ok with the fish bowl more than any other basketball coach from the 80s on.

Last edited:
I wonder if Lohaus majored in business...considering he ran the Airliner into the ground....

I would suspect he did. I heard a rumor that he even invented an infinite money hack whereby he would post items that were purportedly for sale on the internet, collect the funds, then not deliver the item. Dude would be richer than Bill Gates if the stupid cops hadn't shut down his infinite money hack.