Hockenson better than Fant?

Hock seems to catch everything and is a better blocker. What am I missing that doesn't even the two guys out? Fant's speed? Tough to run if you're not catching the ball.

I believe Hockenson is our best TE. Fant has all the measurable in the world, but if I'd rather throw to Hockenson because there's a much better chance it won't be dropped!

That being said, I think we have two great TEs.

I think that Fant will be back for next year unless he starts catching everything thrown to him.

I think he just lacks concentration. He can make all the circus catches, but he seems to lose focus when it hits hit in the hands. BF needs to emphasize catch first, then run.

I believe Hockenson is our best TE. Fant has all the measurable in the world, but if I'd rather throw to Hockenson because there's a much better chance it won't be dropped!

That being said, I think we have two great TEs.

Fant makes some very tough catches like the one in the 4th qtr that was way behind him and low but then he drops some easy ones which I think is a concentration mistake.

Both are very good. Someone needs to work with Fant to look in every pass until is it caught and then to run and to catch the ball with his hands.

I was told that the early long pass he dropped in the first game against NIU he let come into his body and bounce around and he dropped it rather than catching it with his hands.

Hockenson is a true tight end, while Fant is more of a flex tight end, so it's tough to compare the two. It would be nice to see more sets where Fant is flexed, though. However, they did use the two on the same side, where Fant is more of a wingback and it has been very effective. I expect the coaches to continue to use them in creative manners.

I think that Fant will be back for next year unless he starts catching everything thrown to him.

I think he just lacks concentration. He can make all the circus catches, but he seems to lose focus when it hits hit in the hands. BF needs to emphasize catch first, then run.
It's been made clear that BF has nothing to do with execution.

Both guys are going to be cashing NFL checks. To use a vehicle analogy: one is a car and the other is a truck. Both can get you where you want to go it all depends on how you want to get there.

Hockensen is money. Catches virtually everything thrown in his direction.He blocks better. Fant has all the athletic ability in the world - needs to concentrate better on each play because he will continue to be a target in our offense and in every opponents defensive plan.

I am excited to watch both of them this year. Not to mention our other tight ends who are contributing as well.

Fant is a big WR that isn't very good at blocking LBs or DEs. Hockenson is a true TE. He reminds of Brandon Myers. I thought Myers was a heck of a stud overshadowed by Moeaki. We are using Hockenson more than what Myers was early on so that bodes well for us.

Hockenson is better on the field, fant juts has better measurable physical attributes..vertical jump, 40 etc.

I think both tight ends are very good. But Fant is the more talented of the two. Hockenson has benefited from the coverage of Fant.

Hockenson is better on the field, fant juts has better measurable physical attributes..vertical jump, 40 etc.
His vertical jump doesn't serve him well when he tries to basket catch those long throws instead of high pointing them. That's why he dropped that one against NIU. Mugsy Bogues could have covered him on that and broke it up if your going to wait for it to get down to your waist to try and catch it. He's gotta quit doing that

Hock seems to catch everything and is a better blocker. What am I missing that doesn't even the two guys out? Fant's speed? Tough to run if you're not catching the ball.

It's obvious teams are really going to concentrate to take away Fant in Iowa's offense. He probably garners very solid coverage week in and week out. If anything, this is contributing largely to Hockenson's success and he is doing a great job of taking advantage of that and helping the team. This is why many times I will draft the 2nd receiver in the two deeps on my NFL fantasy football team. Often, the #1 WR will get the best coverage guy.

They are a two headed monster and Hockenson will find his way on an NFL team as well. In addition, once Iowa gets a bit more consistent running game and a little more help from the WR game, this will open the TE up that much more.

As others have stated, Hockenson is solid as hell, so it's great to have one TE solid as hell and the other being this home run threat. Quite odd makeup of TE's on a team, IMO. Fun to watch.

Last edited:
Fant has been helping to draw the coverage off of TJ and also he pulled the safety over on the fade to Brandon Smith vs ISU.

I like both of our TE’s. Best TE combo in the country imho. Hockenson can block and has good hands. You want a first down, throw to TJ. Fant has the speed to take the top off of a defense when he catches the ball. Both a very good catching balls in the red zone. Each has his role and as long as we use them both effectively, we can compete with anyone. Now if we can just some help from the wr’s, we can be explosive. Stanley needs to make better reads and be more accurate.