HN TV: Watch Iowa's Kids Day Scrimmage

Why does it seem like our quarterbacks are staring at the receiver they're going to throw to as soon as they get the snap?

Hard to gauge much off of a kid's scrimmage, but, obviously it's a work in progress. That's for sure.

A couple of observations:

Reiff has a little Mitch King in him. I hope he continues to push, because we're going to need him this season.

I wish Nixon could suit up this season.

Very impressed with Brents. He looks like he could start right now. I've always felt that Oje was/is more of a FS. If he struggles early, I could see Brents getting a good look, or Turner, who has some real physical talent as well.

Sargent looks a lot like James Butler. Good plug-and-play player to have available.

Stanley didn't look as comfortable as I would have expected. He showed some happy feet, and several of his passes were off.

Hooker is Hooker. I've been touting him since last season. He has legitimate AA potential.

Where were the WRs? Way too many short crossing routes and passes to the RBs. Now's the time to work on those much needed impact downfield plays.

I had the same feeling. Gotta love those 2 yard underneath passes.

I get why they are doing it though. They are trying to spread the ball around find themselves some playmakers other than Fant, Easley, and Hockenson. I also suspect they are working to improve Stanley's accurate, timing and touch on the ball. They will probably work on the short to medium stuff than gradually expand Stanley's comfort zone. The situation with the offensive line and suspensions also plays into that. There's not going to be a lot of time to get rid of the ball in the first game. Plenty of short routes.

I get why they are doing it though. They are trying to spread the ball around find themselves some playmakers other than Fant, Easley, and Hockenson. I also suspect they are working to improve Stanley's accurate, timing and touch on the ball. They will probably work on the short to medium stuff than gradually expand Stanley's comfort zone. The situation with the offensive line and suspensions also plays into that. There's not going to be a lot of time to get rid of the ball in the first game. Plenty of short routes.

Hopefully what you're saying about trying to find rhythm with certain players is the case, plus not wanting to show too much in an open scrimmage.

But if KFz decides to go Greg Davis and play everything within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage...well, we've seen this movie before...it doesn't end well. If all you do is throw 2 yard underneath passes, the D just presses up even more. Showing this and having Fant streak, on the other hand, has proven to work well.

I'm sure there's a lot more in the O package then they're willing to show at an open scrimmage.

I was being tongue in cheek about "Lulling the opposition into a false sense of security."

That being said it did look a lot like Davis ball out there. I do know they have been aiming at getting the ball to more targets and develop more playmakers. They have stated as much. I'm not going to write too much into it, based on one practice. It was obvious they were pushing it a little more in spring ball. This was a good deal more conservative. I believe there were no fumbles or interceptions. A number of drops though. Some on pretty routine stuff.

C'mon folks did you really believe you were going to see much extravagance in an open practice?? Not from Kirk. He isn't gonna have an O Lineman practicing punting pre-game like Hayden did.

I will say I did watch the punters and don't shoot the messenger but to me based only on this practice, Rastetter kicked better balls overall.

C'mon folks did you really believe you were going to see much extravagance in an open practice?? Not from Kirk. He isn't gonna have an O Lineman practicing punting pre-game like Hayden did.

I will say I did watch the punters and don't shoot the messenger but to me based only on this practice, Rastetter kicked better balls overall.

<<Rastetter kicked better balls overall>>

He sure kicked us all IN the balls last year (with apology to @DMLadyhawk)