HN Poll: Who Do you Start at QB v Indiana?

CJ. despite his struggles today he keeps the defense from overloading the box and can make throws jake can't.

I think our offensive play calling has more to do with the stacking the box than Jake. I do not believe he was given a fair shake at QB. The play calling at the beginning of the season was horrendous. Like a previous poster said, unfortunately I do not think it will matter who is under center. Although the play calling has improved from the first 3 games, I believe.

All of these drops did not help CJ today. But this was a bad Purdue team. So, that makes this game even more difficult to judge CJ's performance.

If these two were both seniors, I would probably flip a coin on my choice. That said, CJ could has more of an upside, he could really improve. Let's see what he can do.

Let's put it this way… despite having a rather poor outing, while being hurt repeatedly by WR drops, CJB's yards per attempt was 6.6 today. Ruddock's yards per attempt is 6.3 on the season.

How is this even a freaking question? CJB is the better quarterback right now and will only extend the gap as he gains experience.

CJB. He's played well enough IMO in a game and a half and seems like he has the higher ceiling of the two players.. We've seen Rudock for over a year, and although he's serviceable, it seems like we've seen the best that we're likely to see.

No, CJB didn't play a perfect game today but he also made some great throws. Is Rudock any more mistake-proof? He throw a pretty ugly looking INT against ISU just a couple weeks ago..

I say stick with CJB for now and see how he does.

Beathard makes the offense just look better and the deep ball in there. Rudock barely ever throws that. One is a gunslinger and the other is a game manager.

I'll take Brett Farve over Trent Dilfer any day of the week.

I think our offensive play calling has more to do with the stacking the box than Jake. I do not believe he was given a fair shake at QB. The play calling at the beginning of the season was horrendous. Like a previous poster said, unfortunately I do not think it will matter who is under center. Although the play calling has improved from the first 3 games, I believe.

All of these drops did not help CJ today. But this was a bad Purdue team. So, that makes this game even more difficult to judge CJ's performance.

If these two were both seniors, I would probably flip a coin on my choice. That said, CJ could has more of an upside, he could really improve. Let's see what he can do.

Well said.

I'm not sure it matters. I would clearly start CJ, but our offense is still just horrible. I am sick of this offense

if A team we play has a comepetent qb, we are in trouble. This QB played more scared than Jake. I realize our defense did play well, but the fact that Purdue had so many chances late in the game to tie is so depressing

I see this team dropping another 2-4 games this year with this offense

CJ. JR is a good, smart leader, but if CJ can improve his pocket presence and continue to improve accuracy...he opens the run game. Gotta go with CJ.

I expected CJ to be a bit apprehensive starting his first game on the road, even at Purdue. Good thing he had the D to keep Purdue from doing more damage the first half. The jitters were gone the second half. He is the one who should be starting....

The Defense seems to like having him in there, on those long drives they get to relax and plan their destruction....

:cool:

I expected CJ to be a bit apprehensive starting his first game on the road, even at Purdue. Good thing he had the D to keep Purdue from doing more damage the first half. The jitters were gone the second half. He is the one who should be starting....

The Defense seems to like having him in there, on those long drives they get to relax and plan their destruction....

:cool:

Agreed. There had to be a fair amount of jitters, walking on egg shells and not wanting to make any mistakes, to start the game. I want to see how he prepares and reacts to a second start when being the starter isn't "new" to him. Let's see what this cat is really made of. CJ didn't do, or didn't not do, anything that would lead KF to think JR "must" start against IU.

Why would the locker room feel the same way? Because Rudock sucks so much he lead the team to 8 victories last year?
You do realize Rudock barely led the Hawks to victory twice so far this year, and if he hadn't been injured Pittsburgh would have likely been a loss too.

CJB is the better quarterback, or at the least is the one who can run the offense. The locker room knows this.

I'd start CJ. Better arm. Quicker release. More accurate. Not afraid to take risks. Pushes the deep ball. It's not even debatable IMO.
I have a feeling when KF and GD look at the game film, they will see the Purdue DBs give our WRs the kind of cushion that most coaches only dream about. The kind of cushion that defenses don't give us when JR is behind Center.

CJB for certain. It's all about offensive production.

In his last 10 quarters of football, JR led Iowa to 41 points.

In his 6 quarters or football, CJB led Iowa to 41 points.

You do realize Rudock barely led the Hawks to victory twice so far this year, and if he hadn't been injured Pittsburgh would have likely been a loss too.

CJB is the better quarterback, or at the least is the one who can run the offense. The locker room knows this.

I agree. It was obvious last week that the offense had an extra spark when CJ started 2nd half. While CJ did start off slow today, he made up for it.

CJB for certain. It's all about offensive production.

In his last 10 quarters of football, JR led Iowa to 41 points.

In his 6 quarters or football, CJB led Iowa to 41 points.

I didn't realize it was this dramatic. Even just the threat of a downfield passing game helps the entire offense tremendously. Today when CJ threw a long pass that wasn't completed the next couple of plays we had run plays with nice gains.

I didn't realize it was this dramatic. Even just the threat of a downfield passing game helps the entire offense tremendously. Today when CJ threw a long pass that wasn't completed the next couple of plays we had run plays with nice gains.

In the last 6 quarters, CJ has lead Iowa on 5 drives of more than 70 yards. We have scored on four of those drives (3 td's/1 fg). The 5th drive was today when Iowa went for it on 4th and 3, inside the Purdon't 10 yard line, instead of trying a fg. The offense is clicking much better with CJ.

Also, vs PITT, we had 4 possessions, each half. Today, we had 14 offensive possessions. A lot of that had to do with the D, but it also had to do with CJ being quicker with the offense. For me, I'd draw this analogy: CJ is the pitcher that gets the ball, gets the sign and goes. The defense is alert and playing on their toes. JR is the pitcher that takes his time in between pitches and the defense is on it's heels. CJ just brings a better pace to the game.

Last edited:
What's nice is JR is a good QB. It's just that CJB can make certain plays I don't see JR making.

How many D1 programs have 2 QB's this qualified?

Ferentz had a comment about that last week. From memory but I think I'm close: "Usually when you have 2 quarterbacks, it means you have no quarterbacks. We really do have 2 quarterbacks, and that's a good problem to have"

Jon, I'm rather shocked you posed this question and posted this poll. You are usually the voice of reason for all things Iowa sports.

After last week's appearance in the second half, this was CJ's first real experience as the guy under center for Iowa. One would expect him to get better as he gains experience and confidence when the bullets at flying for realz. It just seems a little unfair to the young man to have people compare him to the guy who had the starting job for a year and a half. It would make moar sense to wait and see where CJ is at the end of the season, at least.

CJ. As soon as the receivers got used to catching a ball with velocity. Iowa's O couldn't be stopped. Great combo of sustained drives and big strikes. A little more reps for timing and this will be one of the more potent Iowa offenses.

Plus, Iowa will have the best back-up QB in the conference if something goes wrong. I just hope they go with more Canzeri early and bring in Weisman in later in the game. If they do that, the O will start hitting the 30 mark every game.

Latest posts