HN Poll: Who Do you Start at QB v Indiana?

Based on the first half of Purdue you can see why the coaches are having a hard time deciding who to QB. The receivers didn't make it any too easy to evaluate with the number of dropped passes. Field position became an issue much of the first half. It affected the play calling making it easier for the defense to defend. Overall that first quarter of Beathard's first start would not be a good job audition.

The second quarter improvement seemed to have Beathard settle down and get into the flow of a game. The drop by Hillyer of the pass to him in the end-zone was the culmination of what had to very frustrating. Getting to half time tied took some pressure off to a degree so that Beathard could make the half time adjustments.

Iowa had some red zone problems with Beathard. There was a long drive where Iowa came away with no points when leading by 7 points. Kirk gave Beathard the opportunity to get a TD by deferring from a FG. If folks look at those four downs it has to be an area of concern.

Since it was only his first six quarters of play you have to cut him some slack, but we have to remember this was Purdue. There are some things that Beathard brings that Rudock doesn't and vis a vis. The ability to run the QB option and the ability to roll to the right when everyone is rolling left is better with Beathard. The other big thing is the arm to throw the long ball and to zip the ball to the receivers (not sure receivers were use to the speed).

Rudock might be a bit better in the red zone at this point, but Beathard is probably more likely to get you to the red zone. I voted for Beathard, but it wasn't easy to make the pick.

Based on the first half of Purdue you can see why the coaches are having a hard time deciding who to QB. The receivers didn't make it any too easy to evaluate with the number of dropped passes. Field position became an issue much of the first half. It affected the play calling making it easier for the defense to defend. Overall that first quarter of Beathard's first start would not be a good job audition.

The second quarter improvement seemed to have Beathard settle down and get into the flow of a game. The drop by Hillyer of the pass to him in the end-zone was the culmination of what had to very frustrating. Getting to half time tied took some pressure off to a degree so that Beathard could make the half time adjustments.

Iowa had some red zone problems with Beathard. There was a long drive where Iowa came away with no points when leading by 7 points. Kirk gave Beathard the opportunity to get a TD by deferring from a FG. If folks look at those four downs it has to be an area of concern.

Since it was only his first six quarters of play you have to cut him some slack, but we have to remember this was Purdue. There are some things that Beathard brings that Rudock doesn't and vis a vis. The ability to run the QB option and the ability to roll to the right when everyone is rolling left is better with Beathard. The other big thing is the arm to throw the long ball and to zip the ball to the receivers (not sure receivers were use to the speed).

Rudock might be a bit better in the red zone at this point, but Beathard is probably more likely to get you to the red zone. I voted for Beathard, but it wasn't easy to make the pick.

I think CJ's slow first quarter start was a combination of many things that you outlined: 1) first start jitters, 2) lack of overall timing, 3) WR's dropping (at least) 2 first down catches in the first quarter, and 4) field position.

I think CJ did very well in overcoming all of those by the 2nd quarter. That is a pretty quick turnaround considering the quantity of the different types of adversities in the first quarter.

I voted Betheard. But, is it really going to matter? Kf will still run the same ultraconservative system. Voted for Betheard's ceilling. Now, will we ever see it to its fullest?

You do realize Rudock barely led the Hawks to victory twice so far this year, and if he hadn't been injured Pittsburgh would have likely been a loss too.

CJB is the better quarterback, or at the least is the one who can run the offense. The locker room knows this.

You do realize that vs UNI the defense not able to cover a running back out of the backfield has more to do with how we won, than the quarterback play, right?

Additionally, you also realize we left a lot of points on the field vs ball state, right?

Trying to pin the way we won both of those games on the quarterbackis denying facts.

Although I do look forward to hearing more terrific and first-hand knowledge and insight from you on how the locker room feels. Go on…

I agree. It was obvious last week that the offense had an extra spark when CJ started 2nd half. While CJ did start off slow today, he made up for it.

I wonder since you are crediting CJ for the spark last week, are you also blaming him for the offensive inefficiencies in the first half this week?

I wonder since you are crediting CJ for the spark last week, are you also blaming him for the offensive inefficiencies in the first half this week?

He came out jittery, which you have to expect with a QB in his first start. He got over the jitters and his receivers started dropping balls. He was actually fine after the pick 6 in the first half. Even with the drive killing drops, he did enough to have Iowa in the lead without the end-zone drop.

Those drops were just velocity issues with the receivers. That is an extremely common thing with receivers who are used to catching a QB with weaker arm.

So then the D gets credit for today's win, not CJB. Therefore it doesn't really matter who plays QB.
Iowa has just passed the part of their schedule (Pitt and Purdue) where their opponent's QB is horrendous. If either opponent had a good QB, Iowa loses because (A) Iowa's defense wouldn't hold the other offense down and (B) Iowa's offense wouldn't score enough to win.

Now Iowa moves on in their B1G schedule to, for example, Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers (is Maryland's starting QB out with an injury?), and Iowa will need offense to win those games. Iowa doesn't play Meechegan this year. Start CJB. He's Iowa's better QB, anyway... Until Iowa gets a Norm-type of dominating defense, Iowa will need a good offense.

Last edited:
I would go with Bethard as long as I can. He has long way to go as far as experience but I think the guy has a chance to very special. The guys have to catch the ball. He did a good job of not letting that get in his head. Two weeks will help a lot. Just hope he practices well enough KF starts him. He need to work through his mistakes

He came out jittery, which you have to expect with a QB in his first start. He got over the jitters and his receivers started dropping balls. He was actually fine after the pick 6 in the first half. Even with the drive killing drops, he did enough to have Iowa in the lead without the end-zone drop.

Those drops were just velocity issues with the receivers. That is an extremely common thing with receivers who are used to catching a QB with weaker arm.

Jitters? Eh, maybe. But he did play an entire half last week, and another series earlier in the year. He also got significant playing time later in the year last year when JR was banged up.

As for the velocity issue… I'm not buying it at all. As previously stated, he's had playing time before the 1st quarter today. Was he not throwing with the same velocity last week in the Pitt game? Also, does he not throw to the receivers in practice?

Beathard grew quite a bit IN ONE GAME. He went from the pick 6 sputterer, to the ball handoffer to a stacked box, to the dropped ball recipient throughout the game (I saw CJB get viably irate with Hillyer when Hillyer dropped a TD pass in the 2nd), to the runner (don't run too much), to the cautious passer, to the fit the ball into a small window passer that only the Iowa receiver could get.

He really didn't get rattled when things didn't go his way. I guess he's supremely confident in his own ability... and he should be.

What can CJB work on? Learning the routes more. Don't stay in the pocket too long. Learning how to take a 'dive' when Iowa's comfortably ahead.

Last edited:
Iowa has just passed the part of their schedule (Pitt and Purdue) where their opponent's QB is horrendous. If either opponent had a good QB, Iowa loses because (A) Iowa's defense wouldn't hold the other offense down and (B) Iowa's offense wouldn't score enough to win.

Now Iowa moves on in their B1G schedule to, for example, Indiana, Maryland, and Rutgers (is Maryland's starting QB out with an injury?), and Iowa will need offense to win those games. Iowa doesn't play Meechegan this year. Start CJB. He's Iowa's better QB, anyway... Until Iowa gets a Norm-type of dominating defense, Iowa will need a good offense.

Flip your calendar back, Homer. We don't play Rutgers until 2016.

Latest posts