HN Iowa-Northwestern Analysis & Prediction

I really hope Iowa wins for obvious reasons, but I am really looking forward to the tenor of the board tomorrow after the W

I have a feeling there will be a lot of this from the people who think there is no hope

"I knew if KF stopped being so conservative we would win"
"About time the coaches got it together"

Ignoring the fact that NW's D is horrible. We can score on them using the no huddle or the pro set. Around 10 pm tomorrow night everything will be good for 3 weeks (until Michigan thrashes us)

Jon:

This is all you needed to say.

"Since, Nolan MacMillan went down, Iowa's offense has died, averaging just under 15 points a game." in essence, his loss was about as substantial as the loss of Stanzi in 2009.
Can't be pinned on the loss of ONE o-lineman.

With KOK at the offensive play calling helm and a mediocre D I don't see anyway we win outside a torential down pour that sees the Hawks getting 3 more TOs than NW.

Marcus Coker had some success last week, but he was the lone ball carrier for the Hawkeyes. My guess is that Coach Ferentz didn't want to put his young running backs into that road environment nor did he want them testing their mettle in the pass blocking game against an aggressive Penn State defensive game plan.

This was something that stuck out to me last week. How is it ok to give Canzeri a shot at returning kicks in a hostile environment with 11 guys running full speed at him with marginal blocking, yet it's not ok to give Coker a blow by putting him (Canzeri) behind 6-7 OL types for a few carries?

It would be nice to get one of the two freshman into the game to threaten the edge on our stretch play...Coker just isn't doing it for whatever reason.

I'll be interested to see what they do with the no-huddle. I feel like we didn't have the same tempo against Penn State that we did vs. Pitt and ULM. Against Pitt it was more out of necessity, but against ULM we were ripping off plays pretty quickly. The PSU game reminded more of an ISU type no-huddle, where we were in no particular hurry to get plays off...we just didn't huddle up.

We heard from Norm all summer about how this defense was going to be the fastest he's ever had...based on those statements, theoretically we SHOULD have had trouble with PSU (given their straight ahead, power tendencies) and theoretically SHOULD be more suited to defend a spread like NW's. We shall see...

I don't think NW def. is as good as last year and if we open up the off. we should be able to beat them this time.If we sit on a small lead then they will come back and bite us in the butt again.We need to score often and don't let off the gas pedal.
IOWA-38 NW- 24

How bad is our Offense given the fact that Purdue has now scored 10 points on PSU this weekend and KOK had 2 WEEKS to get ready. This may be like that last Minnesota game that Fry coached where we lost by 50 at home.

Last week was an aberration, hopefully not the status quo. There is no reason we should lose again to NW. It is time to get the Purple Monkey off our backs once and for all....

I shall go out on the limb once again and boldly predict a magnificent Hawkeye Victory.....

Isn't Ohio State the only team in recent memory that can beat the Hawks 4 times in a row....

I don't think NW def. is as good as last year and if we open up the off. we should be able to beat them this time.If we sit on a small lead then they will come back and bite us in the butt again.We need to score often and don't let off the gas pedal.
IOWA-38 NW- 24

Pretty close Grandpa! Nice win tonight! A "W" is a "W".

Go Hawks!

Latest posts