Hitchens was Benched v Purdue

Kirk finally tried backups, which you have all been screaming for, and now you're gonna complain.

Frankly, Hitchens has not been very good this year. One reason he posts a lot of tackles is that other teams attack him. He gets a ton of tackles 8 yards downfield.

You've got to admit if Kirk was really doing this to give back-ups time on the field he's going about it in a very inconsistent manner.

Kirk finally tried backups, which you have all been screaming for, and now you're gonna complain.

Yep, these boards have been blowing up the last several weeks because KF won't yank the incumbent starter at Will LB. Actually I'm trying to remember if anyone even clamored for Hitchens to be benched.

I do find it interesting that Hitchens, a 2 year starter, got benched (for performance) in favor of a redshirt freshman who has only seen the field on special teams. What wonderment Fisher/Perry were even ready to play...I don't know if the KF double standard says more about the backups for Hitchens or the backup(s) for JVB.

I forgot. Idiots on the interwebs know more about the team than the head football coach.

If we are to assume your statement is true and KF was simply playing back-ups, then how on earth can anyone justify doing this at the LB position and not at the QB position?

I could have sworn that in the post game interview, Ferentz implied that both Morris and Hitchins were pulled because they were dinged up.

If we are to assume your statement is true and KF was simply playing back-ups, then how on earth can anyone justify doing this at the LB position and not at the QB position?

I don't think he was simply playing backups, he was playing the guys he thought would help the team. He apparently thinks Rudock wouldn't help the team. Which doesn't excuse Kirk from not playing Rudock in PSU garbage time.

I forgot. Idiots on the interwebs know more about the team than the head football coach.

Posters like you are getting old. Anyone that has legitimate questions and critism of the coach is an idiot. You're a fricken lemming if you can't see there are serious problems with our program and the man paid 4 mil to run it.

I bet you think the same thing about Purdue fans that question their brilliant coach Hope.

The problem with Iowa football started with the rabado scare. About the same time, somehow we ended up with a fiery young defensive coach who after one good year (2009) turned into a complete diickhead. Add in Norm's health and we had two years of poor recruiting results and Kaz drove away several others. We lost a few good players to transfers and suddenly, here we are lacking talent. That's the problem, we are lacking talent and experience. Now with the coaches shifting around and new hires, we essentially have all new coaches at every spot implementing new systems.

The Texas guys warned us prior to the season that Davis needed a great QB and fast WR's for his system to work and that we'd witness horizontal play - they were right. Jon Miller warned us pre-season about the read/react passing game and how he feared the worst. We heard pre-season that Vandy & Keenon Davis didn't get along...work ethic thing. We knew the defense could be a problem.

Seems to me, the season has gone exactly the way any intelligent fan would have guessed. Defense is 30th in points allowed - better than predicted. That's an accomplishment considering the offense goes three & out five or more times a game. Ferentz brought the O-line up to par and they were beginning to dominate even with a back-up running back. They went 5 games with no sacks. Then we lost our two best lineman for the season with injuries. Weisman went down with an injury. Davis has been dinged up.....and on and on. The only questionable coaching I've seen has come from Davis.

Hate to tell you guys, but we will be better next year and Ferentz will put us back in the top ten. I almost sense there's a group of haters around here who would rather see us lose so they can rail on Ferentz. Hawk fans huh?!

I noticed Hitchens benching during the game. On the long run that Hyde ran down the RB Hitchens took a terrible angle on the play. Next possession he was on the bench, but I figured he was hurt, but he played on special teams after that. I think Morris was yanked after the same play.

I've been wondering all season why aren't the players wrapping up when they tackle. I don't know how many times I've seen players get hit and they play through that and get additional yards. I've always thought the fundamentals were a baseline for our teams and I'm just not seeing it this year. Maybe it's a leadership thing since I haven't seen anyone on the team step up and be a big time leader like I'm used to seeing.

Win or lose this weekend, probably the latter, I hope to see some angry, aggressive Hawks out there and coaches too. Hoping.

The problem with Iowa football started with the rabado scare. About the same time, somehow we ended up with a fiery young defensive coach who after one good year (2009) turned into a complete diickhead. Add in Norm's health and we had two years of poor recruiting results and Kaz drove away several others. We lost a few good players to transfers and suddenly, here we are lacking talent. That's the problem, we are lacking talent and experience. Now with the coaches shifting around and new hires, we essentially have all new coaches at every spot implementing new systems.

The Texas guys warned us prior to the season that Davis needed a great QB and fast WR's for his system to work and that we'd witness horizontal play - they were right. Jon Miller warned us pre-season about the read/react passing game and how he feared the worst. We heard pre-season that Vandy & Keenon Davis didn't get along...work ethic thing. We knew the defense could be a problem.

Seems to me, the season has gone exactly the way any intelligent fan would have guessed. Defense is 30th in points allowed - better than predicted. That's an accomplishment considering the offense goes three & out five or more times a game. Ferentz brought the O-line up to par and they were beginning to dominate even with a back-up running back. They went 5 games with no sacks. Then we lost our two best lineman for the season with injuries. Weisman went down with an injury. Davis has been dinged up.....and on and on. The only questionable coaching I've seen has come from Davis.

Hate to tell you guys, but we will be better next year and Ferentz will put us back in the top ten. I almost sense there's a group of haters around here who would rather see us lose so they can rail on Ferentz. Hawk fans huh?!

+1

You brought it and I like it, I mean I didn't "like" it, but I liked it. One thing though, I wouldn't consider Donnal our second best OL, but I know what you meant. Just nit picking.

Good post in my book. I believe most rational fans thought a 6-6 season was in the cards. We may have done better had our o-line stayed healthy but the one aspect no one could foresee is Vandy having such a terrible year.

Latest posts