Hitchens was Benched v Purdue

Hitchens has had a habit all year long of diving at runners and not wrapping..going for the blowup knockdown as opposed to tackling. He was guilty of this on Saturday, too

I watched Morris do this a few times Saturday also, just throwing his shoulder instead of wrapping up. Maybe some practice on fundamental tackling is in order.

Good point. I have the feeling there were other things leading up to this game, and the benching occured because KF finally pushed too far.

And it seems like it takes alot to push KF too far, as he rarely benches starters.

Kirk finally tried backups, which you have all been screaming for, and now you're gonna complain.

Frankly, Hitchens has not been very good this year. One reason he posts a lot of tackles is that other teams attack him. He gets a ton of tackles 8 yards downfield.

My guess is Hitchens said or did something royally wrong to end up on the sideline for the second half. It's not the norm for KF to bench a player for a half.

It's the only way I've seen Micah Hyde make tackle.

Then you have not been watching very close. Also like I said in another thread, with a full head of steam and out in space (away from the sidelines) that is an easy way to get them to cough it up. Playing LB and getting over by the sidelines, this does not work. If they step out, you get flagged, if they dont you see them bounce off and keep going, just like they did Sat. In space with a head of steam blow them over (but you had better really make sure you bring it). Along the lines, wrap up.

Yes. Because I'll watch Iowa again next season. And the season after that. And on and on. I start to watch for future players, and improvements by players coming back.

I take a long term view on these things, as I do with almost everything else in my life, and I don't see the downward trend continuing after this year. Next year won't be pretty, but should be better. 2014 will be very acceptable given how things currently stand and recruiting.

Having said this, if it doesn't change slightly next year, and especially in 14, I'll have to rethink this.

I'll bet you voted for B.O. Things gotta get better eventually, right?:rolleyes::cool:

Cotton was the gunner on punt coverage. He has been a bright spot. I think he is a junior. We've been trying to get him in the offense, and IM, need to keep trying. He definately hasn't quit, and I'm glad he's coming back.
The reason they have trouble getting him involved in the offense is because he has hands like two blocks of granite. Guy has more dropped passes in limited action than any player in the history of football.

Hitchens has had a habit all year long of diving at runners and not wrapping..going for the blowup knockdown as opposed to tackling. He was guilty of this on Saturday, too

If that is the case then Hyde should have been benched a long time ago. That guy never wraps up and just tries to cut the legs out from the back/reciever.

I posted this in another thread that Hitchens and Morris were benched, and was essentially told that I was I crazy. Nevermind the fact that my seats are directly behind the Iowa bench, and both Hitchens and Morris were in full view of me with their helmets on walking around. They may have been "hurt", but that wasn't why they were taken out of the game. They were blowing coverages and missing tackles all over the place.

Latest posts