Hiring Keno Davis...

1. does this please the big $ boosters?
2. does this please the fans...?
3. does this please the players?

p.s. to all Lickliter haters...don't expect a magical turnaround and NCAA berth next year, just because Davis steps into the picture...

1. No. There will be no consensus.
2. Yes, fans were horrified by the way Davis was thrown out, even if they were secretly excited for the Alford era to begin.
3. Don't know until that happens.

But, he is an Iowa guy, and it rights a wrong in many fans minds. He will be given a longer leash. He will create hope, and I bet the incoming recruits all stick around with that as well. The situation will be better for him than it was for Lickliter.

But whomever they hire needs to have total control over the program.

In other words, have control over the presentation of games... be able to wrap students around the court if he wants etc.. etc...

In other words, have control over the presentation of games... be able to wrap students around the court if he wants etc.. etc...
I thought Lickliter was told he had that, as well....

In other words, have control over the presentation of games... be able to wrap students around the court if he wants etc.. etc...[/QUOTE]

exactly....the students want to do what they see on TV...$1 freakin' hot dogs won't bring back the students...HOWEVER, wrap them around the court, put them all in yellow t-shirts and let them bobble up and down and scream their lungs out...NOW, you have a home court advantage...
other programs do it...why can't we? just move the old fart $ donors up the stairs a little so they can still sit down the whole game and see over the student's heads, and everyone's happy.....

I would be excited to see Keno as Iowa's coach. Here are a couple of reasons why.

1. Keno runs a fast paced offense with providence, he knows how to adapt to his players. When at Drake, when they had their magical run through the MVC, he used several different offensive sets with them.

2. Keno knows how to recruit from all over. He has connections from the East Coast, to down south. He goes after mid-level talent, but he coaches them up into great ball players. He also can get the In-state recruits, such as he did at Drake.

3. Keno is having a good year at Providence, nothing too spectacular, but they did beat a ranked team last weekend. You look at Ken's roster and you will see some good players, they are evenly balanced and work together.

I am all for hiring this guy, I think he would make a great addition to the hawkeye family. I would buy season tickets again if he was the coach!

I'm not sold on Keno. He hasn't established that he can produce a winner from his own recruits yet. I like the Baylor coach a whole lot better with what he has been able to accomplish there......altho he is from the state of Indiana. Third times the charm maybe???

Ghost-

I was attending Drake during '08 and to say that no one cared about basketball is completely mischaracterizing the student body. The student section at many of those games was packed well in advance of the game and I remember standing in a line 25 people deep waiting to get tickets to the Creighton game.

Granted, that has nothing to do with Iowa basketball or even the mention of Keno Davis becoming the next coach at Iowa, but the Drake student body did, indeed, care about basketball.

Go Hawks!

You guys are nuts...Keno's team play NO DEFENSE. Just like Pearl's teams....remember the record holders for blowing the biggest leads in NCAA tournament history....Mr. Davis at Iowa vs UNLV, and Pearl at Tennessee can't remember versus who....

There is no chance that Keno Davis will come to Iowa. I repeat, NO CHANCE. ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT IOWA FIRED HIS DAD? LOL

I'm not exciting about the prospect of another mid-major coach. I know Providence is a Big East school, but I still don't consider them a major school. I think hiring an assistant coach who is a major recruiter that a top school is a good route for Iowa to go, especially in order to change the direction of the program. I think Louisville assistant Steve Masiello would be a great choice. He has been rated as a top-25 assistant nationally by rivals and is in his early 30's and single, so he would be able to bring a ton of energy to the program. Also, since he's a Pitino guy, I would expect a solid defensive effort every night.

I would be excited to see Keno as Iowa's coach. Here are a couple of reasons why.

1. Keno runs a fast paced offense with providence, he knows how to adapt to his players. When at Drake, when they had their magical run through the MVC, he used several different offensive sets with them.

2. Keno knows how to recruit from all over. He has connections from the East Coast, to down south. He goes after mid-level talent, but he coaches them up into great ball players. He also can get the In-state recruits, such as he did at Drake.

3. Keno is having a good year at Providence, nothing too spectacular, but they did beat a ranked team last weekend. You look at Ken's roster and you will see some good players, they are evenly balanced and work together.

I am all for hiring this guy, I think he would make a great addition to the hawkeye family. I would buy season tickets again if he was the coach!

1. He used the same offensive and defensive sets that his father used. It makes sense that he had success with them, as his dad had been coaching Drake for 3-4 years prior to Keno.

2. He was at Drake for one year. Any in-state recruits he got came from his dad.

i dont understand why people are so in love with this guy. he went to the tourney once with players he and his dad recruited. Not sure why the kids came if it was because of him or another coach or his dad. Last year they had a good season and now they are like 12-7. nothing pops out as cant miss. i would like to see how his first recruits turn out and if he does anything at all at PU. I don't think anyone out side of Iowa would even notice if we hired him. I really don't know who we would get but i just don't see why he is so great. I personally like his uptempo style but they are like the old suns and the new Knicks. Score points but guard no one.

Let me emphasize the most important words in your post looking at it from the status of the program today:

You guys are nuts...Keno's team play NO DEFENSE. Just like Pearl's teams....remember the record holders for blowing the biggest leads in NCAA tournament history....Mr. Davis at Iowa vs UNLV, and Pearl at Tennessee can't remember versus who....

There is no chance that Keno Davis will come to Iowa. I repeat, NO CHANCE. ARE YOU FORGETTING THAT IOWA FIRED HIS DAD? LOL

Finally something I agree with you on chosen...everyone forgets that Mr. Davis was thrown out/fired. I don't care if it was a different AD. Keno may go somewhere that he can play and beat Iowa on a regular basis but I don't think he's going to coach in Iowa City, especially not with the state of the program, I think Keno has bigger designs for his coaching career. If he did come to Iowa it would definitely not be his "destination" job...

I thought Lickliter was told he had that, as well....

Did someone forget to tell him he was responsible for the coaching aspect of the program too?

For the record, I would not be wowed by Keno coming to Iowa. We need someone more established as a program builder. I can't tell you who that would be, but I'm pretty sure Keno isn't that person.

Latest posts