Hire Lon Kruger

Vegas for Iowa at his age? I don't see it. He seems like he wants to stay out west where he can retire in the sun and warm weather. There are still better recruiters out there that we can get. Recruiting IS THE KEY. See Josh Pastner or Tony Barbee.

Again I say the Big Ten is going to expand in the next few years. Its going to make the Big Ten the best national basketball conference. That alone helps boost the image of the Iowa job. There are two other things that can be offered to Kruger in Iowa that he won't have at UNLV.

1. Better chance to go deeper in the tournament at a major conference - Big Ten vs Mountain West. The best that Kruger is going to be able to do at UNLV is Sweet 16 runs, nothing wrong with that either. He's not going to get national attention during the regular season like he would with the Big Ten Network. People point out that at age 57 he is not leaving Vegas where he is happy. At no point has he shown that he is willing to stay anywhere. And at 57 I think he would like to make another final four run, in three or four years he could have Iowa built to that.

2. Money talks to Kruger. Everytime he jumped he got more money. Prime example Illinois to the NBA. Yes he has a lot of money, paid by Atlanta, and would be fine in Vegas. But maybe he wants more. We would be able to more than double his salary. Enough to make him think about finishing his career at the University of Iowa.

People are finally atleast mentioning his name. This is much more realistic hire than Pearl leaving, though that would be my first wish. Every aspect of Kruger checks out that there is a possability of him coming. Also we would be assured we have a winning coach, that has already been successful in the midwest - K-State and Illinois.

Well in about four hours we will get a preview from panthers favorite for the position. Maybe Kruger can do something Iowa wasn't able to do this year...... Beat UNI.

I don't think Kruger would have any interest in leaving unlv for Iowa as he is pushing 60 and the Iowa job is going to take a lot of work. He doesn't need the moneyand he is at a place where he won't have to work nearly as hard to get good players

I don't think Kruger would have any interest in leaving unlv for Iowa as he is pushing 60 and the Iowa job is going to take a lot of work. He doesn't need the moneyand he is at a place where he won't have to work nearly as hard to get good players

So you're dismissing the Lon Krueger talk??

No, Slick, we need someone that can take the program forward, and that someone could very well come from a mid-major. It's not about where they've been, it's about having the vision to see where thay can go. To dismiss someone simply because they are now in a mid-major is myopic at best. To dismiss someone because they are from a mid-major and we already tried that is beyond senseless. Perhaps you've overlooked the fact that one of our more recent former coaches has his team ranked #8, has a #3 seed at the Big Dance, and has his basketball program rocking. All at a mid-major!!! So as you can see, there is nothing inherently wrong with a coach at a mid-major.

Didn't he do that for us once too? Sounds nightmarishly similar. Ranked near the top ten, about a 4 seed..... And all the sudden opps pooped em again Northeastern. Yeah he is swell fella and sure he'll have it running down his leg again before the Sweet 16 this year. I hate him sooo much, and wish no good will his way.

I see this as much more likley to happen than Pearl coming. You can't disagree that he could come for the right amount of money. Money can just plain have an impact on peoples decisions. Yes he is set money wise, I get it. But so are many other coaches that leave places for more money, and he has a track record of moving up for money!

"If" he were to come he would sign something along the lines of a seven year deal at 2 million plus. At age 57 if he were to crash and burn after four or five years, which would be unlikely cause it has never happened to him while coaching college, then he would get paid out until he is 65 years old. Right around when he would possible look at hanging it up anyway. So worst case senario for him is he makes big bucks trying to make one more run at a final four. I agree that right now he would have a better chance at UNLV, but he could build us up to where we have a better shot. No doubt about that. I don't like your example of UNLV in the 90's since that group of UNLV players Iowa has been much more relevant until recently... Because of guess who? Lon Kruger

Why Pearl won't come is for the crash and burn reason. He could end up blowing his career if he comes to Iowa, since he is in the prime of his coaching years. Kruger could just retire and be fine with it. If Pearl goes anywhere its going to be up, not down. No way he takes a risk like that at this point of his career.

All these items have been mentioned, but Kruger is in his mid 50's at least, is building a new house in Vegas and maybe most importantly, plays golf as often as he can which means almost daily.

He's not coming to Iowa City folks.

As far as the NIU winning tomorrow. Again, delusional. UNLV will spank them just like we did Kent State the last time we went up against a MVC school in the tourney.

Oops.

On the bright side, I'm guessing you've learned to spell "UNI" now.

Right, because UNI has played so many good teams that its obvious they will beat UNLV. Man I would go so far as to say they would have to be favored to beat Kansas in the 2nd round............ Grow up Peter Pan

Well I guess they played good enough because they won the game. I don't know what game you were watching, but UNI looked pretty good to me.

Kruger would be a great hire, and I would like to here any one say one good reason why he would not be? I don't understand why people want Jacobson? Hey how has that move worked out for ISU. I agree with this thread. We have lived the mid-major coach hire. Get someone with a real background.
Hey there Freshman123456, I hope you are a high school freshman. If you listen to someone, you hear them not here them. If you are attending the U of I, they need to put you into remedial English. I agree with you that Lon Kruger does have a winning track record. Why did he leave Illinois?

Hey there Freshman123456, I hope you are a high school freshman. If you listen to someone, you hear them not here them. If you are attending the U of I, they need to put you into remedial English. I agree with you that Lon Kruger does have a winning track record. Why did he leave Illinois?

Thanks for pointing out my typo. Do you go through and read these or just try to find typos and then complain about them. My typo made it really hard to understand my point, so thanks again for pointing that out. It was well worth your time. Obviously I better make sure I check every post over and over to make sure I dont have one typo.

I believe he went to the Atlanta Hawks after Illinois. So my guess would be for more money?.?.

Thanks for pointing out my typo. Do you go through and read these or just try to find typos and then complain about them. My typo made it really hard to understand my point, so thanks again for pointing that out. It was well worth your time. Obviously I better make sure I check every post over and over to make sure I dont have one typo.

I believe he went to the Atlanta Hawks after Illinois. So my guess would be for more money?.?.

Your guess would be correct. That reason will be a part of why he will come to Iowa for 2 million plus per year over a 7 year contract. The other part will be to come to a major conference school where is success will give him national attention all year, instead of just at tournament time with UNLV.

What is going on with the rumors that the Utah coach has been contacted?

Why would we not get a for sure "NO" from someone like Kruger?

I don't understand this....