High School Officials

Trinity Christian in Hull does 4:30 starts because of no lights, I love those games because there’s been times if the JV game goes quick I make it home before 9:00
What do you do about low sun angles?

Once you approach 7:30 in the evening or later it's going to be in someone's eyes, batter or fielder, depending on which direction the field is laid out.

Wisconsin plays baseball/softball in the spring season. Games in our conference typically start at 4 or 4:30, doubleheaders sooner. The sun usually isn't a problem, but blustery conditions and temperatures in the thirties can be.

Totally agree about the different strike zones for different umpires and I'm perfectly fine with it, as are most coaches, if it's consistent. That makes it easy for everyone involved. Coaches know it. Players know it. BUT, any coach will tell you that a sure sign of an insecure umpire is when they tell you during the pregame conference where THEIR strike zone is. It's in the rule book where the strike zone is, even if you call it a bit differently. If you give a few inches off the black (or not), we'll figure it out. If you call ankles to armpits we'll figure it out. The only exception would be if a plate is so wide that the outside pitch is unhittable. Had that in a district final against a flame-thrower who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...but could hit the guy's corner. Luckily our guy could hit the corner, too.
The only thing I ever say to coaches regarding strike zones is to middle school coaches. I tell both guys at the pre-game conference to remind their players to be swinging at strikes. I don’t say anything about the zone, but it’s just my subtle warning that I’m not going to stand there for a two hour walk fest. At that level two perfect storms come together, most kids can’t consistently throw strikes down the middle but they do catch the corners, and batters get stage fright and don’t swing at anythjng.

Because of this, people watching assume any taken pitch on the corner is a ball, but I’m not havin it. Middle school games are shit shows to begin with, and with the 5 run per inning rule we don’t need 9 walks in a row just to switch sides.

Kids that age need to learn to swing the bat, and since those pitches are gonna get called when they get to high school it’s better that they learn now.

Last edited:
What do you do about low sun angles?

Once you approach 7:30 in the evening or later it's going to be in someone's eyes, batter or fielder, depending on which direction the field is laid out.

Wisconsin plays baseball/softball in the spring season. Games in our conference typically start at 4 or 4:30, doubleheaders sooner. The sun usually isn't a problem, but blustery conditions and temperatures in the thirties can be.
Some fields just suck worse than others. In Rock Valley (where Boyden Hull/RV plays), the sun sets just to the left of home plate when standing in the field. I just put my hand up and my hat low and try to deal with it but it’s a huge pain in the ass. The problem comes when you turn around to watch a base hit to the outfield (where it’s now bright because of the sun) and then when the throw comes in to a dark infield for a potential tag. Your eyes only adjust so fast.

Trinity’s field faces northwest and it puts the setting sun just outside the left field foul pole. In NW Iowa that’s the orientation that makes the most sense to me, but every field seems to be random. I’m sure it has to do with the layouts they had back in the 50s/60s when most fields were laid down.

I may be wrong in saying this, but if you have a bang-bang play at 1st, for example, I've always said that an umpire wouldn't be able to think about what call he needs to make to give a make-up call. It's second nature and they call it.
Correct

The only thing I ever say to coaches regarding strike zones is to middle school coaches. I tell both guys at the pre-game conference to remind their players to be swinging at strikes. I don’t say anything about the zone, but it’s just my subtle warning that I’m not going to stand there for a two hour walk fest. At that level two perfect storms come together, most kids can’t consistently throw strikes down the middle but they do catch the corners, and batters get stage fright and don’t swing at anythjng.

Because of this, people watching assume any taken pitch on the corner is a ball, but I’m not havin it. Middle school games are shit shows to begin with, and with the 5 run per inning rule we don’t need 9 walks in a row just to switch sides.

Kids that age need to learn to swing the bat, and since those pitches are gonna get called when they get to high school it’s better that they learn now.

In addition, it does no good making pitchers go in high pitch counts with a coffee can size strike zone. No reason to get kids pitching high pitch counts.

Late to the thread, but felt like I needed to chime in.

I worked in Iowa for 7 years- 7 baseball seasons (all levels of high school), 2 basketball (mostly sub-varsity with a handful of varsity games). In 7 years I had one major problem with a baseball coach (player ejected) and one easy one (coach ejected). Parents weren't even that bad. In 2 years of basketball I didn't have many problems at all, but a lot of the ones I did have were self-inflicted because I was new. But, in all those years, I got to know a lot of coaches, ADs, and partners really well and was doing pretty well for myself. I had two great assigners who took care of me and were good at their jobs. When I got a new job 9 hours away, the first thing I thought of was how I would keep officiating if I took it.

Then I moved to the southern plains two years ago (state to remain nameless since I'm still here). I worked a full varsity baseball schedule last year and it was the worst season I've had. Coaches want pitches up, down, in, out, then scream when they don't get it. Started working basketball, mostly junior high because sub-varsity isn't much of a thing. You'd think these players were going straight from middle school into the NBA. The kids, for the most part, aren't bad. The parents are bad, but you can tune them out, and the coaches are worse. My first season last year, I gave out 3 T's and tossed a coach. This year, through four games, I've handed out 3 T's and a warning. And I'm a pretty tolerant official because I've been doing it for 15 years. The worst part about it though is my assigner. It's VERY much a good old boys system down here. I have no prospects of advancing without kissing ass (which I'm not going to do), and until some of the older guys fall over on the court, they're not retiring. My assigner isn't supportive, doesn't let us select games, and sends me 70 miles for a 7:00 start on a work night, then wonders why I turn back games.

I love officiating. It's a different dimension to the game that even changes how I watch as a fan. The pay is even pretty good- honestly, I don't feel like I'm getting robbed for $110 for three junior high games. It's the screaming from the coaches, the refusing to pay for 3-man so I can't get a good look at the entire court, and the pressing up 35-2, then yelling I didn't call a charge (damn right I didn't) that really have me thinking I'm done with basketball until I move again.

Late to the thread, but felt like I needed to chime in.

I worked in Iowa for 7 years- 7 baseball seasons (all levels of high school), 2 basketball (mostly sub-varsity with a handful of varsity games). In 7 years I had one major problem with a baseball coach (player ejected) and one easy one (coach ejected). Parents weren't even that bad. In 2 years of basketball I didn't have many problems at all, but a lot of the ones I did have were self-inflicted because I was new. But, in all those years, I got to know a lot of coaches, ADs, and partners really well and was doing pretty well for myself. I had two great assigners who took care of me and were good at their jobs. When I got a new job 9 hours away, the first thing I thought of was how I would keep officiating if I took it.

Then I moved to the southern plains two years ago (state to remain nameless since I'm still here). I worked a full varsity baseball schedule last year and it was the worst season I've had. Coaches want pitches up, down, in, out, then scream when they don't get it. Started working basketball, mostly junior high because sub-varsity isn't much of a thing. You'd think these players were going straight from middle school into the NBA. The kids, for the most part, aren't bad. The parents are bad, but you can tune them out, and the coaches are worse. My first season last year, I gave out 3 T's and tossed a coach. This year, through four games, I've handed out 3 T's and a warning. And I'm a pretty tolerant official because I've been doing it for 15 years. The worst part about it though is my assigner. It's VERY much a good old boys system down here. I have no prospects of advancing without kissing ass (which I'm not going to do), and until some of the older guys fall over on the court, they're not retiring. My assigner isn't supportive, doesn't let us select games, and sends me 70 miles for a 7:00 start on a work night, then wonders why I turn back games.

I love officiating. It's a different dimension to the game that even changes how I watch as a fan. The pay is even pretty good- honestly, I don't feel like I'm getting robbed for $110 for three junior high games. It's the screaming from the coaches, the refusing to pay for 3-man so I can't get a good look at the entire court, and the pressing up 35-2, then yelling I didn't call a charge (damn right I didn't) that really have me thinking I'm done with basketball until I move again.

I've really learned a lot about the officiating landscape from reading this thread. I didn't know about assigners and how much they can effect an official. Interesting stuff. It is going to make me look at officiating much differently as a fan and much more patient and tolerable. You guys do a great job.

I've really learned a lot about the officiating landscape from reading this thread. I didn't know about assigners and how much they can effect an official. Interesting stuff. It is going to make me look at officiating much differently as a fan and much more patient and tolerable. You guys do a great job.
I know you might take this as sarcasm coming from me, but it's not...

Give it a try. It's $50 to register, the IASHAA will send you the rules book, umpire/officials manual, and case study book as part of that $50 for whichever sport you do. You could easily get middle school or freshman games and see if you like it. From post history I think I remember that you do a lot of youth baseball and basketball stuff, those are two sports that you can make some money at if you enjoy it (football is shitty money comparatively). If you do USSSA stuff I'm sure there are umps local to you who could set you up with gear.

The biggest prerequisite for officiating isn't necessarily knowing all the rules and procedures. You can learn all of that, and even knowing the rules cover to cover is only maybe 30% of officiating. You have to get comfortable with the mechanics of it and, like rules, you can learn it with experience. The biggest requirement for being a competent official is your demeanor. When people ask me about getting started, the first thing I ask them is how they handle getting yelled at and insulted for doing the best possible job they can do, because that's the key to whether you'll enjoy it or not. If you can laugh at it and know that you're doing your job to the best of your ability you'll love it. If you take it personal it will be a depressing job that you'll want to quit; if you get angry you won't last long because you'll be blowing your lid eight times a week.

My best friend is a football rules and game play encyclopedia, and on top of that he's quick. It boggles my mind. But he's a hothead if people confront him or insult him. He'd never be able to ref even a middle school game because he'd go nuclear the first time some coach yelled that he missed a hold.

All in all though it;s very rewarding if you work sports that you love. I played baseball from 5 years old through college, and it's a way for me to stay involved without having the constraints and frustrations of coaching.

Last edited:
The worst part about it though is my assigner. It's VERY much a good old boys system down here. I have no prospects of advancing without kissing ass (which I'm not going to do), and until some of the older guys fall over on the court, they're not retiring. My assigner isn't supportive, doesn't let us select games, and sends me 70 miles for a 7:00 start on a work night, then wonders why I turn back games.
I'd quit if I had that much trouble getting decent games. Baseball is one thing that I love beyond coaching or officiating, and that type of experience would make me hate it. WOuldn't be worth it to me.

I'm spoiled with the assignors that I have around here to be honest. One is a local AD who schedules officials for several schools (I only get maybe three or four games from him), and the other is a local official who gets me the rest. He basically has taken over the majority of the baseball scheduling from ADs around here because there are over 1,000 JV/Varsity games to line up in our 5 conference area, plus non conference games and tournaments. Basically ours works like this..

We have our meeting at a local sports bar or pizza place in October, and there are maybe 12 of us who attend. People who go there in person get first dibs on the games he has. He has a gigantic list of dates, and we start in April and go day-by-day-by-day all the way till the end of July. He'll go, "May 28, Fryowa, can you take Sibley at HMS?" "May 29, can you take Woodbury Central at Ridgeview?" and so on down the line for every weeknight of the summer. I take whichever ones I feel like; this year I think I have 48 dates so far, probably 85% of them are JV/V double headers. He knows what time I get off work and which games are closest to where I live, and he does a good job getting games as close as possible. I'm blessed to live almost exactly in the middle of the area we work in, so that's one thing I have going as well. The guy does little stuff too like he buys the meal for any new guys who come out, makes sure it's in writing that I don't work varsity plate if I ump my hometown, shit like that.

The people who don't come to the meeting get whatever's left over, but it works out well because most of them are guys who only want to work maybe 10 or 12 games a year. We have one guy with a small local insurance company who only ever wants like 5 or 6 and he's happy as a clam. Good ump, too.

Again, can't stress enough how important it is to have a good assignor who will work with you. If you have to fight that crap in addition to the travel, testing, parent abuse, etc., it's too much like work. The day I have a dickhead assignor is the day I put my stuff on Craigslist. I can make $3-4K in easier ways over the course of the year if I was worried about money.

Last edited:
But among those who take it seriously at all, make up calls aren’t a thing. It’s a point of pride to be 100% impartial, and if you’re in the midst of veteran guys and start suggesting that you might have leaned one way or another to try and compensate for a missed call you’re gonna get excoriated right away.

So, the "make-up calls" are just further evidence of how bad the refs are! ;)

I'd quit if I had that much trouble getting decent games. Baseball is one thing that I love beyond coaching or officiating, and that type of experience would make me hate it. WOuldn't be worth it to me.

I'm spoiled with the assignors that I have around here to be honest. One is a local AD who schedules officials for several schools (I only get maybe three or four games from him), and the other is a local official who gets me the rest. He basically has taken over the majority of the baseball scheduling from ADs around here because there are over 1,000 JV/Varsity games to line up in our 5 conference area, plus non conference games and tournaments. Basically ours works like this..

We have our meeting at a local sports bar or pizza place in October, and there are maybe 12 of us who attend. People who go there in person get first dibs on the games he has. He has a gigantic list of dates, and we start in April and go day-by-day-by-day all the way till the end of July. He'll go, "May 28, Fryowa, can you take Sibley at HMS?" "May 29, can you take Woodbury Central at Ridgeview?" and so on down the line for every weeknight of the summer. I take whichever ones I feel like; this year I think I have 48 dates so far, probably 85% of them are JV/V double headers. He knows what time I get off work and which games are closest to where I live, and he does a good job getting games as close as possible. I'm blessed to live almost exactly in the middle of the area we work in, so that's one thing I have going as well. The guy does little stuff too like he buys the meal for any new guys who come out, makes sure it's in writing that I don't work varsity plate if I ump my hometown, shit like that.

The people who don't come to the meeting get whatever's left over, but it works out well because most of them are guys who only want to work maybe 10 or 12 games a year. We have one guy with a small local insurance company who only ever wants like 5 or 6 and he's happy as a clam. Good ump, too.

Again, can't stress enough how important it is to have a good assignor who will work with you. If you have to fight that crap in addition to the travel, testing, parent abuse, etc., it's too much like work. The day I have a dickhead assignor is the day I put my stuff on Craigslist. I can make $3-4K in easier ways over the course of the year if I was worried about money.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with basketball after this year just because it's not worth it. After that 7:00 start with 3 elementary school games, I hit a deer on the way home (well, the deer hit me) and totaled my car. I emailed him and said I couldn't go back to the same school, same time two days later because I didn't have a car. His response? "Ok." Two weeks ago my kid was sick, wasn't sure how he was going to be two days out when I had games. I emailed him and told him I had a sick kid, apologized for the late notice, and said I couldn't take the chance of working. Response? "Come sit in my chair and see if you turn back games."

Compared to my baseball assigner, who I've never met in person but emailed last year when I got threats walking off the field, telling him I wasn't going back in two weeks? Didn't get a reply, but at least I got pulled off the games without a guilt trip.

The biggest think I miss about eastern Iowa is my assigner. He made my (our) life easy and even though he was slow to get the ball rolling each year, always had games for us and ALWAYS had our back. I deal with enough crap from 8-5, I don't need to deal with it at night and on weekends too.

I'm not at all saying I'm perfect and definitely not looking for pity, but it's not as simple as just showing up, working, and counting your money on the way home. There's a lot of politics that go into it and sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. But like Fryowa said, give it a shot, meet some guys in your area, and see if it's worth it for you. Especially if you work basketball or football, there are tons of games out there.

I know this is off topic, but this is the most active place on the board and I wanted to get some feedback. If it angers you, I apologize.

To any of you folks on the board who officiate freshman through varsity sports (or the equivalent age groups in AAU, USSSA, American Legion), what sport do you do and what is the pay per hour or game in your area?

We had our association meeting last night and divvied out most of next summer's JV/varsity baseball double headers and weekend tournaments. According to our assignor, he lost 11 umpires last year and gained 3, and lost 8 so far this year and gained one for a net loss of 15. Our group covers several conferences; I work mostly Siouxland, Lakes, War Eagle, Twin Lakes, and Western Valley and being so short one could work every single night (and Saturday) from opening day until playoffs. I've never seen such a lack of people to work. To add to the problem, we're pretty close to SE SD and SW MN, and legion games pay better than high school in Iowa (although the fan/coach abuse is way worse).

Football in this area is the same way in regards to numbers. I've gotten asked to start that again as well, but haven't decided if I want to give up Friday nights.

Scum bag parents and a handful of coaches are the biggest reason for baseball non-retention by far, but we are trying to make the case for more pay. Area AD's are saying 1) they can't afford it, and 2) even if they could, $10-15 wouldn't draw new people in.

Right now, a JV/V double header pays $110-115 in our area, and football crews in the area (I've only worked football in one conference myself) pay $100.

If you officiate...what sport, how much do you make, is there a shortage in your area, and is there a lot of competition from club sports like AAU? I'm looking for any sports, not just baseball or football.

Varsity Football- $100-$115
Varsity DH Basketball- $100-$115
Weekend b-ball tourneys- $25 a game

Looking for any games this summer? We have 10 dates that we don't have umpires for. A team in the area only has umpires for 1 game this year. Our assigner has told us to look at dropping non-conf games and moving conflict games to those spots or play Saturdays or mornings. Our AD has said he would pay big bucks, which we know won't help. Sad.

Looking for any games this summer? We have 10 dates that we don't have umpires for. A team in the area only has umpires for 1 game this year. Our assigner has told us to look at dropping non-conf games and moving conflict games to those spots or play Saturdays or mornings. Our AD has said he would pay big bucks, which we know won't help. Sad.
Super funny you mention that, 2 weeks ago I got asked if I’d coach varsity ball again at my alma mater. Our school pays $6,350 for each head coach plus $500 for baseball because we have to mow the field ourselves. I canceled my umping contracts but luckily I had someone to take my dates. The team is pretty bad (no youth support in my town unless parents do it themselves) and our numbers are terrible. We have 3 seniors (one sucks and wouldn’t play MS ball) and 2 juniors. The bright side is that the current middle schoolers are decent and my son’s 8th grade team has 6 kids who’ll play varsity as freshman. Part of me is torn though because now I’ll have coached my son every single game of his life and I’ll never get to actually sit and watch one of his games from outside the dugout. Not sure how I feel about that tbh

But I totally hear ya on the umpiring shortage. Guys just won’t do it anymore, and because of the reduced number of games or outright cancellations last year, guys are finding out it’s nice to have their summers and not get screamed at for $130 a night minus gas money. Hell, now I have to be committed 6 days a week but I get to show up, coach hitting which I love, and hit infield and fungos every night.

A couple schools around here are paying like $250 plus mileage for some of the games around July 4th and still can’t find anyone. If I was a college kid who liked baseball and had my summers off I’d be making BANK doing MS double headers in the morning and JV/V at night. You could pull in $7-8K easy peasy and not report it (not that I would ever do such a thing to the IRS who I love deeply and appreciate if you guys are listening).

If you do run stuck just DM me what part of the state you’re in and I’ll pass the word on. Thanks for hitting me up, I appreciate the offer big time.

Good luck to you this year, I’m 100% sure you’re gonna have more success than we will this year. Knock ‘em dead.

Super funny you mention that, 2 weeks ago I got asked if I’d coach varsity ball again at my alma mater. Our school pays $6,350 for each head coach plus $500 for baseball because we have to mow the field ourselves. I canceled my umping contracts but luckily I had someone to take my dates. The team is pretty bad (no youth support in my town unless parents do it themselves) and our numbers are terrible. We have 3 seniors (one sucks and wouldn’t play MS ball) and 2 juniors. The bright side is that the current middle schoolers are decent and my son’s 8th grade team has 6 kids who’ll play varsity as freshman. Part of me is torn though because now I’ll have coached my son every single game of his life and I’ll never get to actually sit and watch one of his games from outside the dugout. Not sure how I feel about that tbh

But I totally hear ya on the umpiring shortage. Guys just won’t do it anymore, and because of the reduced number of games or outright cancellations last year, guys are finding out it’s nice to have their summers and not get screamed at for $130 a night minus gas money. Hell, now I have to be committed 6 days a week but I get to show up, coach hitting which I love, and hit infield and fungos every night.

A couple schools around here are paying like $250 plus mileage for some of the games around July 4th and still can’t find anyone. If I was a college kid who liked baseball and had my summers off I’d be making BANK doing MS double headers in the morning and JV/V at night. You could pull in $7-8K easy peasy and not report it (not that I would ever do such a thing to the IRS who I love deeply and appreciate if you guys are listening).
Awesome! Glad to hear you've come to the dark side. You'll love it. The camaraderie with the other coaches, BSing with the 3rd baseman, the fun you have with the kids, and teaching the game. I've been doing it a long time and have won (and lost) a lot of games. I'm getting to the point where I'm not as super die-hard about winning (still want to shoot myself every time we lose), because I enjoy the kids, seeing them improve, teaching them to be young men, and shooting the shit with them, especially that bottom end JV kid sitting on the bench during the JV game. He's the kid that you want to keep out because it's better, happier, and safer than being at home. I've gotten to the point in BB and FB where I enjoy the teaching the game more than the games. I know for a fact that it's why I don't have as much success as I used to, so it may be time to hang it up. This will be my 31st season (counting college) and I still love it, but if I'm asked to leave by the school, the parents, or my wife, I'll be done and retire happy.

I have 2 boys playing for me. I agree with you. It would be nice to be able to sit in my lawn chair under a shade tree and watch them play. When I got the chance in their spring leagues I just sat, watched and enjoyed it. Didn't yell at the umps, coach, or my kids. My wife said I'll never make it as a baseball parent/fan. :)

Awesome! Glad to hear you've come to the dark side. You'll love it. The camaraderie with the other coaches, BSing with the 3rd baseman, the fun you have with the kids, and teaching the game. I've been doing it a long time and have won (and lost) a lot of games. I'm getting to the point where I'm not as super die-hard about winning (still want to shoot myself every time we lose), because I enjoy the kids, seeing them improve, teaching them to be young men, and shooting the shit with them, especially that bottom end JV kid sitting on the bench during the JV game. He's the kid that you want to keep out because it's better, happier, and safer than being at home. I've gotten to the point in BB and FB where I enjoy the teaching the game more than the games. I know for a fact that it's why I don't have as much success as I used to, so it may be time to hang it up. This will be my 31st season (counting college) and I still love it, but if I'm asked to leave by the school, the parents, or my wife, I'll be done and retire happy.

I have 2 boys playing for me. I agree with you. It would be nice to be able to sit in my lawn chair under a shade tree and watch them play. When I got the chance in their spring leagues I just sat, watched and enjoyed it. Didn't yell at the umps, coach, or my kids. My wife said I'll never make it as a baseball parent/fan. :)
I coached the same team about 9 years ago and had a blast, but I work 45 hours a week at my day job. I was coaching my kid's rec and travel teams at the same time, too, so from March till August I had zero me time. That was an interim gig until they found a teacher to coach which took three years. It was a blast but I got run too thin. My whole life revolved around trying to find time once a week to mow my lawn, haha.

Now my kid is in middle school and we aren't doing tournaments (only about 6 players interested), and the school lets me have practice at 5:30 since they know I work. The best part of baseball every night is that it gives me a valid excuse to not go to track meets :) His whole life I've been fortunate to have a job that encourages leaving for family stuff and up until the other day I've never missed a sporting event whatsoever...but this winter I told him, "Son, I've never missed an event in the ten years you've been in sports, and I think that's earned me an exemption to track meets." He only goes out because our FB coach wants it and he had no problem with me bailing (he's not a good runner).

There's nothing in the entire sports world worse than a MS or HS track meet. It's either 34 degrees and raining with a 40 mph wind, or it's 89 degrees with no wind staring straight at the sun for 6 hours. Never fails that your kid has a field event right at the start and then a relay or something at the very end. They went to Cherokee last week, left the middle school at 2:30 and the bus got back to town at 11:10PM

I remember when $60-$75 was a good double header night doing high school baseball...$85-$90 maybe the last year I did it..has to be 18+ yrs ago....damn Bob Seger moment...."twenty years...where'd they go...twenty years...I dont know..."