Hey kids we are going to the circus tonight...I mean Hilton, the official Iowa vs Cyclowns Game thread

We have to go 10-8 in the remaining B1G to keep a winning conference record.

And we have to play Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota twice, Wisconsin, and Michigan State yet.
Ain’t no tournament happenin this year boys. Which I guess is consistent with expectations.
Ain’t no way 10-8 is happening.

Those of us in central Iowa it is brutal.
C'mon now. It's not that bad. ISU was bound to win sometime against Iowa in one of the major sports. The last 5-6 years have been great. Even this year, we single handedly ruined their anticipated dream football season and kicked their ass in wrestling. (Even with our National Champion and another runner up sitting out) Also, keep in mind, all of these events were held in Ames this year and we won 2/4. Iowa will sweep next year in Iowa City.
Any Cyclone fan who wants to discuss the game from last night will get to hear about the football game from me, because it was like that game never happened. It was never discussed once in the office as I respected their misery and never made a comment.

Outclassed last night, not so much in losses to Purdue (not #1 btw) and Illinois (will likely vie for Big title). Hope it was a fluke and not a harbinger of things to come.........

Ain’t no tournament happenin this year boys.

There are multiple post season tournaments. I think this team could still make a prestigious tournament, which requires an INVITATION. Not a personal attack against you, but the fan base expectations of which "level" of bowls or tournaments they think they deserve is getting a little bit old.

Its odd because this is probably the best defensive team Fran has ever assembled but they can't win when they shoot 28% from the field (20% from 3) and then kept giving the other team 2-3 chances because they can't rebound worth a shit.

But I love how they fly to the ball and create turnovers. If they even shoot 40% last night they would have made it a much closer game and if a few of them would have been 3 pointers who knows what could have happened. Early on I thought for sure this was going to be one of those games JBo goes off, it started to happen and then he got shut down. It amazes me how he can't make a 8 or 4 foot jump shot but can hit a 3.

Its odd because this is probably the best defensive team Fran has ever assembled but they can't win when they shoot 28% from the field (20% from 3) and then kept giving the other team 2-3 chances because they can't rebound worth a shit.
I'm no expert, but it seemed like last night they couldn't match ISUs intensity when IA had the ball. Lots of dribbling 30' from hoop, then a jacked up shot.

I know Fran's always pushed for more offense out of fast breaks. But even then you won't get many fast breaks when they give up that many offensive rebounds to the other team.

We have to go 10-8 in the remaining B1G to keep a winning conference record.

And we have to play Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota twice, Wisconsin, and Michigan State yet.
Ain’t no tournament happenin this year boys. Which I guess is super far off of expectations.

Yea ... have stated my expectations several times (even with the solid efforts at P-don't and vs Illannoy) ... this is a 7-8 win team in the Big14 - max. The ceiling is the NIT with around 17 wins and they still have to beat the last 3 non-cons (UT State and W Illannoy are decent). Any more, not sure if 17 wins gets NIT.

I just love how some of you are so quick to write the season off. They are about to go on a 4 game winning streak and then let's take it one game at a time. WAY too early to be writing off NCAA tournament chances. I highly doubt we will see another game where Keegan struggles as badly as he did against Iowa State.

I just love how some of you are so quick to write the season off. They are about to go on a 4 game winning streak and then let's take it one game at a time. WAY too early to be writing off NCAA tournament chances. I highly doubt we will see another game where Keegan struggles as badly as he did against Iowa State.
I do wonder if Keegan isn't 100% physically healthy. He just seems slower and timid than earlier.

Not quick, just being real. Also, not a dis on the team - love the grit and honestly see this as one of Fran's better defensive teams.

They just don't have the reliable shooting (Jo-Bo has 1 decent game of every 3) size or strength to "beat" teams. They'll always compete and their effort + taking care of the ball will give them a punchers chance but it's really hard to see them get past "being competitive" against most Big14 teams without them having their own off nights.

I agree with you that K will probably not struggle to score anything as badly as last night. I also think they won't see another opponent with that level of energy and intensity as ISU had. 1) it's ISU 2) it's Hilton 3) the B14 isn't going to be nearly as stoked to beat a low-mid level Iowa team. That's why they might sneak a couple surprise W's.

However, it's an easy game-plan to beat Iowa going forward - double-team and harass Keegan and make the rest of the team beat you. That's where that lack of reliability from the shooters and lack of a 2nd go-to guy (like Joe-Vies was to Luka) will be Iowa's achilles heel.

Not quick, just being real. Also, not a dis on the team - love the grit and honestly see this as one of Fran's better defensive teams.
Dude it's only been 10 games and that was a brutal 4 game stretch. WAY too early to "being real" if that's what you want to call it. To me "being real" is understanding they are only 10 games in, have lost their best player for 1 of those games and he's probably still not 100%. "Being real" also should understand that very rarely does any team shoot 27% from the field and 18% from 3 but bad shooting nights can happen.

I'm gonna wait to pass judgement. I see 4 very winnable games in front of them, so hopefully they can get some of that confidence back and Keegan gets back on track. If they head to Wisconsin on a 4 game winning streak anything can happen.

But I love how they fly to the ball and create turnovers. If they even shoot 40% last night they would have made it a much closer game and if a few of them would have been 3 pointers who knows what could have happened. Early on I thought for sure this was going to be one of those games JBo goes off, it started to happen and then he got shut down. It amazes me how he can't make a 8 or 4 foot jump shot but can hit a 3.

This is the best defensive team Fran has ever had but they can't win when those who are the best defensive players are sitting on the bench for 24 to 25 minutes a ballgame. Iowa is not going to have many shooting nights last night if ever, but Fran needs to wake the hell up moving forward and start the players that should be starting!! But sadly it won't happen!!

This is the team that should start EVERY GAME!!!
Keegan M
Kris M
Patrick M
Tyler U
Tony P

Jbo, Joe T, Rebraca, Josh O, Sandfort. CMac (Note: CMac only as last resort!!) off the Bench

This is the best defensive team Fran has ever had but they can't win when those who are the best defensive players are sitting on the bench for 24 to 25 minutes a ballgame. Iowa is not going to have many shooting nights last night if ever, but Fran needs to wake the hell up moving forward and start the players that should be starting!! But sadly it won't happen!!

This is the team that should start EVERY GAME!!!
Keegan M
Kris M
Patrick M
Tyler U
Tony P

Jbo, Joe T, Rebraca, Josh O, Sandfort. CMac (Note: CMac only as last resort!!) off the Bench

B10 "bigs" will eat that lineup alive. Which of those starters are you going to assign to guard Cockburn the next time they play Illinois? Rebraca and Josh and GOT to be played, the are the only 2 with any prayer of being able to body up a B10 big.

My only real complaint is the minutes given to Connor as he is worthless on offense. I think Fran is doing a good job with JBo, he's only out there when he's scoring.

B10 "bigs" will eat that lineup alive. Which of those starters are you going to assign to guard Cockburn the next time they play Illinois? Rebraca and Josh and GOT to be played, the are the only 2 with any prayer of being able to body up a B10 big.

My only real complaint is the minutes given to Connor as he is worthless on offense. I think Fran is doing a good job with JBo, he's only out there when he's scoring.

I guess we watch a different game ssc because a similar Lineup to that was keeping Iowa in that game against Illinois. The starting Lineup was GETTING DESTROYED at the start of the game and start of the 2nd half only to have the Bench tighten things back up and make it respectable. The starting lineup is Iowa's biggest problem IMO aside from the at times ridiculous subbing patterns of Fran. Iowa is going to play from behind all year if that continues to be put out there

Sure Illinois is going to be a matchup nightmare for Iowa and many other teams due to Cockburn but as we move away from that game it's that Lineup that gives Iowa it's best chance!! So why not go small and as athletic as you can. Rebraca doesn't honestly impress me whatsoever anyway..

I guess we watch a different game ssc because a similar Lineup to that was keeping Iowa in that game against Illinois. The starting Lineup was GETTING DESTROYED at the start of the game and start of the 2nd half only to have the Bench tighten things back up and make it respectable. The starting lineup is Iowa's biggest problem IMO aside from the at times ridiculous subbing patterns of Fran. Iowa is going to play from behind all year if that continues to be put out there

Sure Illinois is going to be a matchup nightmare for Iowa and many other teams due to Cockburn but as we move away from that game it's that Lineup that gives Iowa it's best chance!! So why not go small and as athletic as you can. Rebraca doesn't honestly impress me whatsoever anyway..

You mean when Cockburn was on the bench, yeah, the smaller lineup did fine. But when Cockburn was in there Iowa's smaller lineup could NOT stop him and if you didn't see that then you are blind. There is no way in hell Iowa can beat teams in the Big Ten without either Rebraca or Josh O in the game. I haven't been all that impressed with Rebraca either but he at least gives us a fight chance against stopping the opposing BIG in the post.

You mean when Cockburn was on the bench, yeah, the smaller lineup did fine. But when Cockburn was in there Iowa's smaller lineup could NOT stop him and if you didn't see that then you are blind. There is no way in hell Iowa can beat teams in the Big Ten without either Rebraca or Josh O in the game. I haven't been all that impressed with Rebraca either but he at least gives us a fight chance against stopping the opposing BIG in the post.
Ok! Cockburn played all but 10 minutes in that game ssc!! You might want to go re-watch it because he was on the court when Iowa went on that run in 1st half he may of had a breather here and there but he definitely was on the court. The Boxscore doesn't lie :)

Ok! Cockburn played all but 10 minutes in that game ssc!! You might want to go re-watch it because he was on the court when Iowa went on that run in 1st half he may of had a breather here and there but he definitely was on the court. The Boxscore doesn't lie :)
You are only fooling yourself if you think Iowa can get away with a small lineup in Big Ten play.

New Information: We aren’t very good and won’t win many games. No Big Dance. Probably no NIT. Fran doesn't play the right guys, ever. We aren’t tough. Our point guards are weak sticks. Our defense is awful. Long list of players who should never, ever see the floor. CHA is a tomb. Students don’t come to games. Huck Finn and his bunch sit on their hands. Blue Hairs suck! It’s Barta’s fault. Fran should move on. Does that about cover it?

Latest posts