Herman for DC?

Hawkeye1313

This is unconfirmed but received word that he is now the front runner. He is the LB's coach for the giants and was DC at Michigan for 9 years.

Yes, definitely a name I hadnt thought of but he had great defenses at Mich under Lloyd Carr. I guess that would make sense if as some people said KF was waiting for something to break at the pro level.

This could really excite the fan base although the very small percentage of negative Nellies will always want to gripe about it.

He also got fired under Carr and Michigan's defense was perceived as regressing into mediocrity later in his career.

I don't know that it's fair to attribute the success of the NC team with him specifically. That D was built by Mattison and anchored by Charles Woodson.

I think he'd be a solid acquisition as a DC, don't get me wrong, but people need to be a little careful heralding his time in Ann Arbor.

He also got fired under Carr and Michigan's defense was perceived as regressing into mediocrity later in his career.

I don't know that it's fair to attribute the success of the NC team with him specifically. That D was built by Mattison and anchored by Charles Woodson.

I think he'd be a solid acquisition as a DC, don't get me wrong, but people need to be a little careful heralding his time in Ann Arbor.

I agree with all of this. Michigan's jump in D performance from 2005 to 2006 was staggering when English took over for Herrman. That said, I would still be VERY excited to have Jim Herrman (still have a sinking feeling that it's Parker). Sometimes a new voice is all that's needed, and Herrman coordinated several great Ds at Michigan from 1997 to 2004, but don't expect the Hawks to magically start holding teams under 200 yards if we do hire him.

Last edited:
I agree with all of this. Michigan's jump in D performance from 2005 to 2006 was staggering when English took over for Herrman. That said, I would still be VERY excited to have Tom Herrman (still have a sinking feeling that it's Parker). Sometimes a new voice is all that's needed, and Herrman coordinated several great Ds at Michigan from 1997 to 2004, but don't expect the Hawks to magically start holding teams under 200 yards if we do hire him.

not without the talent on the field.

not without the talent on the field.

Exactly. Even in years like 2000 and 2003, his Michigan Ds had great linebacker play and lockdown corners. It's tough to envision the Hawks right now replicating that style, but I would be happy with anybody who could inspire a fresh 'edge' and some hitting like we saw back in 2003-04 from Norm's early defenses.

Interesting. Never really thought of this name coming up. In tot he point where I just want them to name someone already.

Read a thread about him on the Michigan site. Said hes very good with LB's, plays a soft defense and struggled with mobile quarterbacks. Sounds like a perfect fit for Iowa.

Read a thread about him on the Michigan site. Said hes very good with LB's, plays a soft defense and struggled with mobile quarterbacks. Sounds like a perfect fit for Iowa.

Now that is funny and appropriate.

But if we did better on 3rd down holds especially 3rd and > 7 yds I would love it.

Latest posts