Here's How the Players Feel When They Lose...

Oh for sure. Some people were like the best we can do now is a 7 seed and all that. Which doesn’t seem to be accurate. Happens after every loss.

Really we didn’t play our best game and lost a close game to a pretty good team, there is no shame in that.

We saw a different game, as I saw numerous wide open 3 point shots, but that’s okay. I was just trying to back my thoughts up with stats.

I did see open 3's too - absolutely. But Maryland is a good offense, they were gonna get some open looks. A lot of the dunks came after misses. A lot of open 3's came after shot fakes that were contested and turned into open looks. Credit Maryland, one of the better offensive teams in the country. I can deal with an open look here or there. But the fact is, Iowa was getting stops and a lot of times not too long ago they weren't even getting that. I've got to give them some credit, they are playing so much better this season. So, at times, IMO the D was very good. Like the 3 at the top of the key Cowan took as the shot clock ran out that hit the back of the iron and then rolled in. Like 3 of his other shots that were Bohannon esq from NBA land with a guy in his face.

I did see open 3's too - absolutely. But Maryland is a good offense, they were gonna get some open looks. A lot of the dunks came after misses. A lot of open 3's came after shot fakes that were contested and turned into open looks. Credit Maryland, one of the better offensive teams in the country. I can deal with an open look here or there. But the fact is, Iowa was getting stops and a lot of times not too long ago they weren't even getting that. I've got to give them some credit, they are playing so much better this season. So, at times, IMO the D was very good. Like the 3 at the top of the key Cowan took as the shot clock ran out that hit the back of the iron and then rolled in. Like 3 of his other shots that were Bohannon esq from NBA land with a guy in his face.
I’m wondering about the pump fake thing. Baer and Wieskamp literally jump at every single pump fake on the perimeter. A lot of our guys do. I’m wondering if they are taught to do that. Maybe the numbers say if you make the guy put it on the deck it’s the smarter play. To me it seems like it causes a ton of scrambling situations. I yelled at me TV “stopped effing jumping” on a couple occasions Tuesday. They certainly aren’t blocking many jump shots like Uthoff used to do. Part of me thinks they are coached to do it.

That’s a fair point no question.

Did Maryland play good defense on us or did we just miss a ton we normally make and throw a bunch of bad passes? Probably a little of both.

I thought Iowa’s defense was really good for the first 5 minutes but after that they gave up way too many wide open threes. I never thought to myself wow Maryland is just making tough shots right now.
We missed a ton of open 3's, much more than we usually do

I’m wondering about the pump fake thing. Baer and Wieskamp literally jump at every single pump fake on the perimeter. A lot of our guys do. I’m wondering if they are taught to do that. Maybe the numbers say if you make the guy put it on the deck it’s the smarter play. To me it seems like it causes a ton of scrambling situations. I yelled at me TV “stopped effing jumping” on a couple occasions Tuesday. They certainly aren’t blocking many jump shots like Uthoff used to do. Part of me thinks they are coached to do it.

Could be - some coaches might subscribe that a shooter having to re-set might have more time to think about it and miss? I dunno about that really.... all I know is that you and I both wouldn't consider that good defense, but our guy was there and the shooter made himself open. Those are tough and again, Cowan ( I think I have his name right) was taking some incredible shots, late in the clock and hitting em. It wasn't excellent D, but IMO, so much better even compared to earlier in the year. The team is able to get stops. In some cases, multiple stops in a row. That could be from cold shooting or from good D, I give 2 shits less, it's just nice to see from this team when I think about where they were.

I think there might be some confusion here. When people say Iowa played good defense, I think they mean they played good defense "for them". Big difference there. I think iowa played good defense for them against Maryland.

I think there might be some confusion here. When people say Iowa played good defense, I think they mean they played good defense "for them". Big difference there. I think iowa played good defense for them against Maryland.

Id much rather a team beat Iowa this way...by launching 3s... than beating us by just murdering us with penetration and dunks. It happens...teams catch fire. Minnesota did it to us as well.

I agree with you. Baer seems to "over-correct" quite often which causes the scramble which leads to points/fouls. To me, it seems like they freak out instead of playing under control and understanding what's going on