Here is the problem with this team/staff..

So you are saying Iowa will have a different gameplan against a good defense? If their plan is to not grind it out in the future, shouldn't they be practicing that now?

I would hope they do; outside of next week they're probably not going to run into a front 7 as porous as the one ISU put on the field last night. They're obviously not going to be able to do what they did last night against Ohio State.

The entire second half was set up for a big play down field on play action but it never worked because receivers were covered up. If you listened to Dolph and Ed that's all they were saying was the receivers were always covered. For that reason, Rudock is getting hit too much. I would work around the clock with Powell on about 10 different plays he can feel comfortable with in a few different formations and see if he can get open. Forget his blocking because Weisman isn't going to break one open anyway. The big pass play set up couldn't have been more perfect but I think they kept running because of lack of confidence in the receivers more than an appreciating for Weisman.

The entire second half was set up for a big play down field on play action but it never worked because receivers were covered up. If you listened to Dolph and Ed that's all they were saying was the receivers were always covered. For that reason, Rudock is getting hit too much. I would work around the clock with Powell on about 10 different plays he can feel comfortable with in a few different formations and see if he can get open. Forget his blocking because Weisman isn't going to break one open anyway. The big pass play set up couldn't have been more perfect but I think they kept running because of lack of confidence in the receivers more than an appreciating for Weisman.

Can't really work around the clock with him since the NCAA does have limitations on how many hours you can practice in a week.

I don't think this team necessarily needs the big plays to win. We just proved it against Iowa State (and even vs Mizzou State).

Certainly it'd be nice and exciting, but winning is as well.

I believe one of the phrases that was tossed around after week 1 was Iowa got "too cute" against northern ill, and it possibly cost us the game.

I think we will be able to have success vs B1G teams with the same offense we had Saturday.

I don't think this team necessarily needs the big plays to win. We just proved it against Iowa State (and even vs Mizzou State).

Certainly it'd be nice and exciting, but winning is as well.

I believe one of the phrases that was tossed around after week 1 was Iowa got "too cute" against northern ill, and it possibly cost us the game.

I think we will be able to have success vs B1G teams with the same offense we had Saturday.

But, Iowa lost to NIU with no big plays...imagine how this is going to work in the BIG when they can't make big plays against far better teams...your evidence is a little terrible.

"Foot off the gas" implies we "let up, didn't play hard, felt sorry and let them back in" which is complete BS.

It also implies we made a conscience decision to do something like that, which again, is complete BS.

We ran D schemes to not get burned by the big play, and it didn't work.

Talk about going away from something which worked all game (regular D gameplan) to something that didn't!

But, Iowa lost to NIU with no big plays...imagine how this is going to work in the BIG when they can't make big plays against far better teams...your evidence is a little terrible.

Did you watch the NIU game? The long bombs and the flea flicker? Those were big plays/trick plays that the OP is calling for. I'm simply saying that we don't need the big plays/trick plays to win. Saturdays game plan can win games.

Did you watch the NIU game? The long bombs and the flea flicker? Those were big plays/trick plays that the OP is calling for. I'm simply saying that we don't need the big plays/trick plays to win. Saturdays game plan can win games.

Honestly, against who? The worst team in the Mini 10...congrats.

I did watch the NIU game and just because those plays were tried, were they successful?

Eda is referring to the bomb on 3rd and 1 at the end of the 3rd quarter. That being said, if the last two weeks have shown us anything, it's that the coaching staff has figuring out where it's bread is buttered.s

I don't want to speak out of turn, but I believe his argument is that some of those "cute" plays weren't needed.

Honestly, against who? The worst team in the Mini 10...congrats.

Without a doubt the next 3 games are winnable with that offense. Additionally, the Purdue and Wiscy games can be won in the same fashion. And one could make an argument that controlling the clock and keeping a high powered offense (like NW and Nebby) offense off the field.

I don't see why you feel the need to argue against this offense?! Am I being trolliolioled?

Eda is referring to the bomb on 3rd and 1 at the end of the 3rd quarter. That being said, if the last two weeks have shown us anything, it's that the coaching staff has figuring out where it's bread is buttered.s

I don't want to speak out of turn, but I believe his argument is that some of those "cute" plays weren't needed.

Pretty much. I was speaking to the OP's point that this team NEEDS to run the big plays. My point is that we don't necessarily need it. If we have a game plan that works (ie. ISU/pounding the ball), why go away from it just for the sake of having "the big play ability".

I'd also add that the game plan from yesterday will win games against B1G opponents. SportsTalent disagrees.

as far as big plays, yeah, it would be nice to have a home run back and so forth.

but, it is not bad to have a team that can put a drive together that gives the defense a chance to rest.

in '97, iowa was 'loaded' on offense, but was a team that lived and died by the big play. seemingly the only way they could score was a big play - so the year was in large part 'big play' or '3 and out'. what happened was in games that mattered, the defense eventually got gassed due to this and the team lost. nothing wrong with a team that can move the ball, on the ground, and eat clock. yes, you have to score on top of it.

Latest posts