Here is the problem with this team/staff..

HaydensHawk

Big plays...

We destroy Iowa State on both sides of the ball and yet the game is close... Why?? Iowa State although inferior had some explosive plays that went for touchdowns. You can call it a breakdown by Iowa if you want to, but bunterage dude is just fast.

If Iowa wants to compete a high level, which I believe they can, they are going to have to diversify the running game (ie change of pace back - Canzeri) and they are going to have to throw down field (Damond Powell---hello?) a couple of trick plays per game would be nice to see.

So we have been able to be more physical than our first 3 opponents, we lose one and win two, but when we get the the B10 we won't be able to grind our way to victory.

Big plays...

We destroy Iowa State on both sides of the ball and yet the game is close... Why?? Iowa State although inferior had some explosive plays that went for touchdowns. You can call it a breakdown by Iowa if you want to, but bunterage dude is just fast.

If Iowa wants to compete a high level, which I believe they can, they are going to have to diversify the running game (ie change of pace back - Canzeri) and they are going to have to throw down field (Damond Powell---hello?) a couple of trick plays per game would be nice to see.

So we have been able to be more physical than our first 3 opponents, we lose one and win two, but when we get the the B10 we won't be able to grind our way to victory.

Honestly this is BS.

We ran the ball 60 times because they couldn't stop us...there was no point in doing anything fancy when it was as simple as it was up front....don't show anything you don't have to for future opponents.

Remember, this was 27-7 and completely in control....the comeback had nothing to do with the offense. We played prevent D which allowed 1 score....we had amazingly bad special teams on the onside kick and and again played prevent.

Ferentz said, we have 7 mins left and are up 20....they are not going to get 3 TD's in that span even if I just do the plain jane O and D. As close as it ended up he was right.

You can complain all you want...we got a win and we dominated until we let our foot off the gas.

I agree the staff came in with a game plan and worked well. We won. Bad news is the team we beat is not very good. Did Powell or Vandeberg even get in the game ? Our secondary scares me to death

Defense relaxed and gave them momentum back...mark of a young team with a bad secondary. Our safeties need to stop watching their receivers and our corners run past them every other play...it would help the corners.

Honestly this is BS.

We ran the ball 60 times because they couldn't stop us...there was no point in doing anything fancy when it was as simple as it was up front....don't show anything you don't have to for future opponents.

Remember, this was 27-7 and completely in control....the comeback had nothing to do with the offense. We played prevent D which allowed 1 score....we had amazingly bad special teams on the onside kick and and again played prevent.

Ferentz said, we have 7 mins left and are up 20....they are not going to get 3 TD's in that span even if I just do the plain jane O and D. As close as it ended up he was right.

You can complain all you want...we got a win and we dominated until we let our foot off the gas.

This is correct. The point is to win the game. Can you imagine how angry people would be if Iowa got away from the running game and managed to lose in the process?

Iowa State was bad. Bad enough that Iowa could line up and continually convert running it right at them, despite ISU knowing exactly what was coming. That's obviously not going to work against better teams, but it worked in this game.

Big plays...

Look on the bright side. You not a cyclown fan.:)

Last edited:
Shane touches on the problem above.

The SECONDARY (Safeties)- We won't be able to stop anyone from passing.

That was what people were saying in 2002 too. Of course, this offense no where near as explosive. KF went with basics in order to establish something on offense. This team is still learning how to win. After 7 straight losses, it has to build itself up. The diversity will come for the offense. Hopefully, the defense continues to improve too.

how can you tell when Iowa's O takes its foot off the gas?

sat up all night pondering that question.

We have three problems that will have to be overcome for us to go bowling. The question becomes, how much can they improve and can we steal a game against MSU, Wisky, NW, or Nebraska.

1) Defensive Line getting pressure with four. If we can't do it against ISU consistently...well, we need to keep searching.
2) Defensive backs out of position. Wow...#1 above compounds this...double moves all night for very good teams. Big, Big Concern.
3) Our WR's are downright terrible right now. Outside of KMM, I don't know anyone who has proven they belong on the field. YOU CAN'T DROP BALLS RIGHT TO YOU! It's a turnover when you do and you have to punt. Granted you may gain field position through the punt, but you are still giving the ball back to the other team. Your offensive line performs, your quarterback performs, and you drop the ball. Inconceivable...and I know what that word means.

I agree the staff came in with a game plan and worked well. We won. Bad news is the team we beat is not very good. Did Powell or Vandeberg even get in the game ? Our secondary scares me to death
Major liability, as usual. But, hey, there were a few sacks and pressures on ISU's QB....

Honestly this is BS.

I can buy that but with out adding some big play capabilities in the future Iowa will struggle to win many more games.

What I can't buy is why Iowa always lets the foot off the gas and plays prevent defense and can't execute on special teams.

how can you tell when Iowa's O takes its foot off the gas?

sat up all night pondering that question.

When the defense sells out to stop the run and you don't try to beat them over the top. IE just trying to take time off rather than score more points.

I can buy that but with out adding some big play capabilities in the future Iowa will struggle to win many more games.

What I can't buy is why Iowa always lets the foot off the gas and plays prevent defense and can't execute on special teams.

Your're probably right, but Iowa didn't need to do anything fancy last night. Rudock could have walked up under center, told ISU what was coming, and Iowa still would have ran it down their throats.

Iowa wasn't playing prevent defense. They kept blitizing Slingin' Sammy, but couldn't come close to him, which is why all of those clown receivers were open down field.

As far as that onside kick goes...that was the best kicked onside attempt I have ever seen. I didn't necessarily see a failure of execution by our special teams, just amazing execution by ISU.

Iowa wasn't playing prevent defense. They kept blitizing Slingin' Sammy, but couldn't come close to him, which is why all of those clown receivers were open down field.

As far as that onside kick goes...that was the best kicked onside attempt I have ever seen. I didn't necessarily see a failure of execution by our special teams, just amazing execution by ISU.

Hell, their kicker did the same thing on their 2nd attempt, and got the exact same bounce.

Your're probably right, but Iowa didn't need to do anything fancy last night. Rudock could have walked up under center, told ISU what was coming, and Iowa still would have ran it down their throats.

So you are saying Iowa will have a different gameplan against a good defense? If their plan is to not grind it out in the future, shouldn't they be practicing that now?

Latest posts