Here is how Nebraska handles underage drinking bust.

loesshillshawk

NEBRASKA FB PLAYER TO DO COMM SERVICE

LINCOLN, Neb (AP) _ Nebraska football player Niles Paul will do community service for his conviction for underage drinking.

The senior wide receiver requested community service in lieu of a $400 fine given to him by Lancaster County Judge Jean Lovell on June 25.

The 20-year-old Paul pleaded guilty to being a minor in possession of alcohol in connection with a May 28 incident. A charge of public urination was dropped.

Lincoln police have said an officer spotted the 20-year-old Paul urinating on a fence. A preliminary breath test measured Paul's blood-alcohol at .104.

Paul pleaded guilty to reckless driving following an incident in spring 2009. He was fined $150, and he went to pretrial diversion for a charge of minor in possession.

NO SUSPENSION FOLKS....

iowa fans complaining that other teams don't hand out adequate punishments to football players? now I've seen it all...

Based on that information, how do we know there won't be a suspension? That info says nothing more than what the legal system is going to do with him...I'm not saying he WILL be suspended, just that based on the information provided, it's a bit premature to assume it.

Certainly looks sketchy on the surface, but can we please maybe not turn HN into another neurotically-obsessed-with-all-consuming-rage-CycloneFanatic in regards to Nebraska?
Makes us look like... well, Cyclone fans.

I don't see much reason to treat athletes different than ANY student attending these institutions. They pay the price society has set and you move on. Time to get over the need to pile on athletes beyond what society expects. If they impact team activities then the coach handles it. All this fan angst over who deserves more punishment is silly.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Kid was a little drunk and not 21. The way people overreact on this message board to "college" offenses is beyond me. Underage drinking, sneaking into bars its just what college age kids do. Now if kids start committing assaults, thefts, sexual assaults, weapons possession, drugs with intent to sell...now we got problems.

Anyone else find it odd that the article states that the kid is a Senior and only 20 years old? Did he start college at 16?

I think the point is, people rage on KF for how he handles things. Our guys (esp SRs) will sit a game for this type of offense.

Nowhere in the article does it mention how Nebraska is handling this. It talks about the legal aspect of the situation, the football ramifications aren't even brought up.

Most of the comments in the thread make no sense.

Last edited:
My intent was to show that our troubles are no greater then other Universities...other Universities tend to look at these problems as trivial and usually hand out no in game suspensions. Nebraska has historically given no game suspensions for alcohol related issues. Heck Florida had 18 arrest for alcohol last year....remember reading anything about their players and the punishments they receive??? Kirk gets abused for not handling things, I think quite the opposite he hands out fair and consistent consequences.

My intent was to show that our troubles are no greater then other Universities...other Universities tend to look at these problems as trivial and usually hand out no in game suspensions. Nebraska has historically given no game suspensions for alcohol related issues. Heck Florida had 18 arrest for alcohol last year....remember reading anything about their players and the punishments they receive??? Kirk gets abused for not handling things, I think quite the opposite he hands out fair and consistent consequences.

Agreed. The article doesnt state what his punishment might be from the coaches but, it is
a minor offense and should be treated as such.
For the record, the only people who think Kirk is "soft" on discipline are Cylcone fans. Sure we have our share of run-ins with alcohol-related offenses but, its not like Kirk pretends they never happened. If it is minor (i.e MIP, public intox) and the first offense for the player...it should not warrant a suspension in my opinion. If it is a DUI or something more serious, players almost always receive some type suspension (1-2 games). Even more serious or multiple offenses will get a possible dismissal.

There is a reason that Kirk is one of the most respected coaches in the college FB (according to any NFL coach or scout) and it has nothing to do with cyclone fans' opinions of him....that much i can assure you.

Agreed. The article doesnt state what his punishment might be from the coaches but, it is
a minor offense and should be treated as such.
For the record, the only people who think Kirk is "soft" on discipline are Cylcone fans. Sure we have our share of run-ins with alcohol-related offenses but, its not like Kirk pretends they never happened. If it is minor (i.e MIP, public intox) and the first offense for the player...it should not warrant a suspension in my opinion. If it is a DUI or something more serious, players almost always receive some type suspension (1-2 games). Even more serious or multiple offenses will get a possible dismissal.

There is a reason that Kirk is one of the most respected coaches in the college FB (according to any NFL coach or scout) and it has nothing to do with cyclone fans' opinions of him....that much i can assure you.
Thanks but this isn't his first offense...and the word out of Lincoln is handled internally...no missing PT.

Well I think the legal drinking age should be 18 (you can vote and serve in the military but you can't drink? Puritanical.) so I don't think mere possession of alcohol by a freaking 20 year old is really worthy of much punishment. Somebody has to say it, so I will.

Driving drunk or getting into a drunken rage and fighting is an entirely different story.

Latest posts