Herbstreit picks Ohio State over Iowa in B1G Title game

He based it on our history of doing well in years we are picked to be rebuilding. He also picked OSU to beat us in the title game.

It would be amazing to make the first Big Ten championship game. How about the storyline of Vandenberg getting his second shot at OSU and taking them down?

OSU to win their division? I just don't think that they can. They'll be close, but with all they are going through now I just can't see them beating Wisconsin unless Wiscy gets hit hard with the injury bug.

On the one hand Ohio State could falter because of all the controversy, but some teams really pull together when something like that happens and that could be the case with Ohio State. Look, we all know they still have tons of talent, so basically it comes down to whether their coaches can pull the team to together and play up to their potential. IF they do they can easily win their division. Despite Wisconsin getting Russel Wilson, they did lose a lot from last year.

What a homer. ;)

Edit: this was supposed to be taken as tongue in cheek. I always though Herbie as being a fair analyst. Maybe too fine a line for sarcasm in hindsight.

And, speaking of objective, Iowa rolls 48-7. ;)

Last edited:
Doesn't take much going out on a limb to pick Ohio State, winner of 6 consecutive B1G titles, to again play for the championship.

Definite homer pick, though.

I don't think picking Iowa is far fetched.

Nebraska may be a better team, but look at their schedule. At Wisconsin, At Penn State and Home against Ohio State? Compare that to Iowa who plays: Purdue, Indiana and Penn State. Nebraska could easily lose 2 of 3 and we should win 2 of 3.

Michigan is going to be Michigan again, but not this year. I do not believe in Michigan State, although they will be formidable, they were simply the most overrated 11-1 team of all time last year. Minnesota and Northwestern could both be good, but shouldn't be title contenders.

We get both Michigan's at home and there will likely be more Iowa fans in Minneapolis and Evanston than for their respective teams.

Add to this that our O-Line could be nasty and that we have a running back that will always fall forward.

The only thing that concerns me is our lack of depth. Iowa should only have one conference loss going into Lincoln. They will probably have more, but they really shouldn't.

I dont think Herbie is an OSU homer at all...in his job...he certainly loves Ohio State, but I have found him to be objective. It's not a stretch to pick them to win the Big Ten...their defense is going to be good, they have a good to great OL..and they will play Tressel ball again this year and 8 or 9 wins is probably the minimum.

I dont think Herbie is an OSU homer at all...in his job...he certainly loves Ohio State, but I have found him to be objective. It's not a stretch to pick them to win the Big Ten...their defense is going to be good, they have a good to great OL..and they will play Tressel ball again this year and 8 or 9 wins is probably the minimum.

We all know you're pretty objective in your job too Jon, but let's face facts.......you're still a homer too! ;)

I don't think picking Iowa is far fetched.

Nebraska may be a better team, but look at their schedule. At Wisconsin, At Penn State and Home against Ohio State? Compare that to Iowa who plays: Purdue, Indiana and Penn State. Nebraska could easily lose 2 of 3 and we should win 2 of 3.

Michigan is going to be Michigan again, but not this year. I do not believe in Michigan State, although they will be formidable, they were simply the most overrated 11-1 team of all time last year. Minnesota and Northwestern could both be good, but shouldn't be title contenders.

We get both Michigan's at home and there will likely be more Iowa fans in Minneapolis and Evanston than for their respective teams.

Add to this that our O-Line could be nasty and that we have a running back that will always fall forward.

The only thing that concerns me is our lack of depth. Iowa should only have one conference loss going into Lincoln. They will probably have more, but they really shouldn't.
We have NW at home so yeah I am pretty sure there will be more Iowa fans at that game.

It would be a lot of fun, but not a very likely matchup, IMO. I think Iowa has an OK chance of making it...I don't give OSU a very good chance of making it.

It would be a lot of fun, but not a very likely matchup, IMO. I think Iowa has an OK chance of making it...I don't give OSU a very good chance of making it.

Idk ... OSU is in the weaker division (Legends? Leaders?), and they do have Wiscy at home. I'm not convinced that Wisconsin will be a world-beater--they lost two All-American linemen, a great tight end, and possibly the big ten's best defensive player from a year ago (Watt). I think OSU wins that one but loses to Nebraska, and their championship bid will come down to the Penn State game.

What in the name of all that is Holy Husker?!? Husker hate of Herbie commencing in 3...2...1.

No hate coming from this Husker. In fact if I had to put money on it, I'd pick Iowa to win the Legends division. As BSprinsteen said, the schedule difference is going to be big. Throw in the fact that Iowa is being overlooked, and NU has to adjust to a new conference, and I see a Iowa-Wisconsin champ game.

Latest posts