Herbstreit picks Ohio State over Iowa in B1G Title game

Idk ... OSU is in the weaker division (Legends? Leaders?), and they do have Wiscy at home. I'm not convinced that Wisconsin will be a world-beater--they lost two All-American linemen, a great tight end, and possibly the big ten's best defensive player from a year ago (Watt). I think OSU wins that one but loses to Nebraska, and their championship bid will come down to the Penn State game.

Agreed, Wisconsin was not that dominant outside of blowing out Indiana and a Persa-less Northwestern. They lost to TCU, they lost Michigan St, they beat us and ASU by only one point. I see them losing at least two big ten games, and one of them will be against OSU.

I dont think Herbie is an OSU homer at all...in his job...he certainly loves Ohio State, but I have found him to be objective. It's not a stretch to pick them to win the Big Ten...their defense is going to be good, they have a good to great OL..and they will play Tressel ball again this year and 8 or 9 wins is probably the minimum.

Herbie isn't a homer at all. He does like OSU but in fact he has caught a lot of heat around Columbus for his blunt honesty about their program on and off the field. Anyone who actually listens to his commentary is well aware of this.

I'm not surprised he picked them to win the B10. They have the most talent in the conference.

As for the Iowa pick, its a bit surprising. Hope he's right.

Based on my expert analysis I'd give the following odds for each team to win their Division:
Legends:
NE 50%
IA 30%
MSU 15%
UM 2%
NW 3%
MN (did hell freeze over?)

Leaders:
OSU 35%
Wisc 35%
PSU 15%
IL 10%
PU 5%
IU (see MN)

Ohio State's schedule sets up quite nicely. Their two most important games, Wisconsin & Penn State, are in Columbus.

Historically, Wisconsin has done very well in Columbus over the last ten years or so. But it is still "The Shoe." O$U & Penn State have played every year since Penn State joined the Big Ten. JoePa has only won one game in Columbus.

Because of the schedule, I think the Bucks have a better chance of winning the division this year than they do next year.

Agreed, Wisconsin was not that dominant outside of blowing out Indiana and a Persa-less Northwestern. They lost to TCU, they lost Michigan St, they beat us and ASU by only one point. I see them losing at least two big ten games, and one of them will be against OSU.
What? They barely lost to TCU, have you watched the game? Should of stuck with beating them up. Plus TCU had a very high ranking D. We always play them tough and we supposedly had an elite D last year. MSU got lucky. I am betting that TCU loss has some people in Bucky land fired up. If I had to lay money on it right now I to would go for us and Whisky. OSU and NEB could make it tough, but they have way more to overcome than either of us.

Not to rattle any cages, I just don't think throwing out Wisconsin's loss to TCU is fair to TCU or Wisconsin. We don't give TCU nearly enough credit, because they weren't from an AQ conference and why should Wisconsin feel embarassed about losing to an incredibly talented team. Did losing to TCU sting, I'm sure it did, but because it was a loss, not because of who they lost to. Wisconsin had a great season last year and I'm sure they'll be motivated to make another run.

Media guys can really stop pretending that they don't know which division is which. Getting rather old...and its not that hard to figure out, especially when your job is college football.

what an idiot - just another media member who has no idea what hes talking about

Oh wait, he picked Iowa to make the title game? In that case I've always felt like Herbie is a vary fair analyst

OSU is an underdog in their division this year, but not so big an underdog to declare Herby's pick a homer pick without some corrobrating evidence.

It may, in fact, be a homer pick, but how could you tell? It isn't like OSU is going to go 5-7 this year.

What? They barely lost to TCU, have you watched the game? Should of stuck with beating them up. Plus TCU had a very high ranking D. We always play them tough and we supposedly had an elite D last year. MSU got lucky. I am betting that TCU loss has some people in Bucky land fired up. If I had to lay money on it right now I to would go for us and Whisky. OSU and NEB could make it tough, but they have way more to overcome than either of us.

Yeah, I said they lost to TCU, are you saying they did not lose that game? And if you're saying MSU got lucky than Wisconsin got lucky against OSU. It works both ways.

A few thoughts here:

I do not think it is far fetched at all, if I were a betting man I would bet against it, but it would not shock me if it happened.

Those who stated Tressel ball are spot on....Bauserman is like 30 years old and seems like he has been in the program forever ....Tressel ball 2002 style. Rod Smith is the second coming of Eddie George and when Herron comes back that will be a lethal running attack.

Nebby will lose at least one game because Martinez can't consistently throw the football.

As for Herbstreit I do not have a problem with him I think he is a guy that wants the best of both worlds he wants to be universally loved by buckeye nation and he wants to be a fair and objective part of the media. I think he has recently come the conclusion that it is not possible.

I don't think picking Iowa is far fetched.

Nebraska may be a better team, but look at their schedule. At Wisconsin, At Penn State and Home against Ohio State? Compare that to Iowa who plays: Purdue, Indiana and Penn State. Nebraska could easily lose 2 of 3 and we should win 2 of 3.

Michigan is going to be Michigan again, but not this year. I do not believe in Michigan State, although they will be formidable, they were simply the most overrated 11-1 team of all time last year. Minnesota and Northwestern could both be good, but shouldn't be title contenders.

We get both Michigan's at home and there will likely be more Iowa fans in Minneapolis and Evanston than for their respective teams.

Add to this that our O-Line could be nasty and that we have a running back that will always fall forward.

The only thing that concerns me is our lack of depth. Iowa should only have one conference loss going into Lincoln. They will probably have more, but they really shouldn't.

Gotta disagree. While I think Nebraska COULD be a win for the Hawks, I think we are too "green" in the first half-to-three-quarters of the season to avoid a slip-up against either PSU, UM or MSU. And frankly, Purdue with Marve could still kill our secondary.

The ISU and Pitt games will be very telling.

EDIT: I see us having a better chance of playing in January (bowl game) than December (Inaugural B1G Championship Game)

OSU is an underdog in their division this year, but not so big an underdog to declare Herby's pick a homer pick without some corrobrating evidence.

It may, in fact, be a homer pick, but how could you tell? It isn't like OSU is going to go 5-7 this year.

Signed,

2010 Texas Longhorn Football Team :D

Latest posts