Henry Marchese Commits

I agree, but I think it has far more to do with the GD routes than the athletes. You don't need to have burner speed to get open. You just need to run good routes well. We haven't had good routes under Davis.

Who was the last reciever Iowa has had that was a burner and highly successful?

Tim Dwight

As others have said, we need guys who can get open, and most importantly, catch the ball. Looks like Marchese can do these things and hopefully he can contribute early.

Catching the ball is key, but if you can't get open it doesn't really matter. Iowa had zero separation ability the past several years.

Our WRs have trouble creating separation on there own, but so do most, except for the very elite. Very rarely are wrs clearly open D1 level unless "schemed" open, "thrown" open, or busted coverage.

This is absolutely not to say I wouldn't like to see more talent at WR, I would, and we need it. It IS to say although we had one NFL level Wr talent, an NFL TE, and a very legit #2 slot wr in Vandeberg, in '15......"separation" was still a huge issue and the passing game was well below avg....we had enough receiver talent in '15 to have a more effective passing game.

I will continue to contend that scheme, pass routes, pass playcalling, WR coaching, rarely throwing in the middle, and not taking more 50/50 shots(thus not moving safeties back) has had just as much to do with separation, as lack of talent, if not more, the last 5 years.

Again, I see teams all over D1 football, many with less talent at WR than Iowa, have significantly more throwing success. And few had even close to the level of running game Iowa had the last 2 years.

Would Love to see more high level talent at WR. I'm just not sure it would have been helped as much as many believe, given how we used it the last 5 years....

And I do think there's a really we are going after bigger "possession" receivers...and I have a feeling(and really hope) the passing game might look something like what PSU had under O'brian.....Oliver would be IDEAL in that scheme. I could be wrong...but it makes sense....

Last edited:
I agree, but I think it has far more to do with the GD routes than the athletes. You don't need to have burner speed to get open. You just need to run good routes well. We haven't had good routes under Davis.

Bingo. Speed obviously is great...but not if unused, is used poorly, or the speed can't catch.

I do like that both Marchese and Brandon Smith will both come in and be our two tallest receivers the second they walk on campus. Height on the outside will help greatly for them to be able to go up and get it, and also go across the middle.

And while it may be coincidence, I think the reason for this sudden move to to this kind of receiver, points to the type of passing game we might see...fingers crossed.

And while it may be coincidence, I think the reason for this sudden move to to this kind of receiver, points to the type of passing game we might see...fingers crossed.
Agreed completely. Would love to see this sort of passing game in the future. Put a little more weight on both of these guys and let them go across the middle and be able to take hits and such. Also getting Smith-Marsette and using him on outside bubble screens or jet sweeps, could really help keep the defense honest. Stretching the field horizontally, will open it up vertically.

I'm referring to the type of receiver, not level. We have trended away from taller, possession type receivers recently, and now I believe we have 2 in the class.

That said, this kid looks pretty solid in measurables.

Carry on though captain miserable.
Yes they are great fits -- we need any kind of receiver we can get and they don't have better offers. It's perfect!

Not to derail this thread completely, but Iowa tends to get pretty good athletes at TE. Under Davis they weren't allowed to go down the middle more than twice a season.

Maybe we should use our strengths?? I honestly don't get too bent out of shape with the WR we recruit. Other "lower level" schools show it's possible to have success.

Our issue is scheme and KF insistence on blocking and character

Not to derail this thread completely, but Iowa tends to get pretty good athletes at TE. Under Davis they weren't allowed to go down the middle more than twice a season.

Maybe we should use our strengths?? I honestly don't get too bent out of shape with the WR we recruit. Other "lower level" schools show it's possible to have success.

Our issue is scheme and KF insistence on blocking and character

Blocking and Character are fine, even great, to have as priority, but I agree completely on the rest.

Part of it was the routes, but I also think part of it was the decision making that Greg Davis' system required the WR's to progress through. It was complicated. It was a constant uphill battle. Clearly the Hawks have struggled finding burners at WR who can get open simply from their speed and quickness, but then they were making it even more difficult on them to get open because they were asking them to think about what cut to make or what route to run in the middle of the damn play. You want your players to be going full speed and not thinking. Davis' system didn't really allow for that. It was counterproductive. Just call a damn play and tell them what route to run. Maybe have a couple adjustments that can be made, but don't design the offense off of adjustments or your players will spend so much time thinking that it slows them down. Let your coaches and QB do the thinking, and let your playmakers make plays.

Part of it was the routes, but I also think part of it was the decision making that Greg Davis' system required the WR's to progress through. It was complicated. It was a constant uphill battle. Clearly the Hawks have struggled finding burners at WR who can get open simply from their speed and quickness, but then they were making it even more difficult on them to get open because they were asking them to think about what cut to make or what route to run in the middle of the damn play. You want your players to be going full speed and not thinking. Davis' system didn't really allow for that. It was counterproductive. Just call a damn play and tell them what route to run. Maybe have a couple adjustments that can be made, but don't design the offense off of adjustments or your players will spend so much time thinking that it slows them down. Let your coaches and QB do the thinking, and let your playmakers make plays.
Yup

Marchese might be just as good as Martin for all we know. He's bigger than OM and his 40 time is better. Film looks like he runs good routes and has good hands but, admittedly, there won't be film on receivers when the drop passes so who knows.

Latest posts