Help Adam Rittenberg: how to abbreviate Nebraska, Northwestern

What I find hilarious is it is Northwestern University (abbr. NU) and University of Nebraska-Lincoln (abbr UNL or UN). Truly the "N" on their helmets stands for "Nowledge"

So it seems pretty obvious to me Wildcats - NU, Huskers = UN

Then again, who gives a crap. We already have UI for IA and IL. UM of MN and MI and it all works out.

What I find hilarious is it is Northwestern University (abbr. NU) and University of Nebraska-Lincoln (abbr UNL or UN). Truly the "N" on their helmets stands for "Nowledge"

Then again, who gives a crap. We already have UI for IA and IL. UM of MN and MI and it all works out.

I've never been able to figure that one out but then, I'm not from UNebraska.

yeah, here in sioux city the kids that go there refer to it as UN-L as there are several UN schools UN-O(maha) is just an example.

WOW!! Really, for anyone who covers the Big10 this should be a no-brainer.

NW has always been the abbreviation for Northwestern for those that cover the Big10. I've honestly never ever seen Northwestern listed as NU...

WOW!! Really, for anyone who covers the Big10 this should be a no-brainer.

NW has always been the abbreviation for Northwestern for those that cover the Big10. I've honestly never ever seen Northwestern listed as NU...

I think the graphics the BTN uses say "NU," but don't hold me to that.

I've never been able to figure that one out but then, I'm not from UNebraska.
We can end this right here. Abbreviate Northwestern whatever you want, NU, UN, NW, I don't care.

Nebraska will forever be DONU ("Dear Old Nebraska U" for the ignorant).

That blog has been Nebraska overload the last few days. Getting quite annoying.
Cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it. It must suck that Nebraska is more relevant and a bigger draw in it's first year in the Big 10 than Iowa has ever been.

That's why we have 6 of the top 13 games in conference next year, and Iowa only has 2.

Last edited:
We can end this right here. Abbreviate Northwestern whatever you want, NU, UN, NW, I don't care.

Nebraska will forever be DONU ("Dear Old Nebraska U" for the ignorant).

Cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it. It must suck that Nebraska is more relevant and a bigger draw in it's first year in the Big 10 than Iowa has ever been.

That's why we have 6 of the top 13 games in conference next year, and Iowa only has 2.

Insufferable. It's the only word I can think of. And to think the Big Ten schools agreed to let Nebraska into the conference.

Insufferable. It's the only word I can think of.
Insufferable? You must be referring to UI?

And to think the Big Ten schools agreed to let Nebraska into the conference.
You're lucky that the deal wasn't a trade of Iowa and Illinois for DONU. The Big 10 would have agreed to that in a heartbeat, and you'd be playing Texas and Oklahoma every other year.

Last edited:
You're going to lecture us on who is wanted? Really?

We have been in one conference the past 100 years. This will be Nebraska's fourth.

You're lucky that the deal wasn't a trade of Iowa and Illinois for DONU. The Big 10 would have agreed to that in a heartbeat, and you'd be playing Texas and Oklahoma every other year.

Maybe if they'd change it to "DONUT", it would more appealing.

We have been in one conference the past 100 years. This will be Nebraska's fourth.
4 conferences, by 4 do you mean the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association, which split to form the Missouri Valley Conference, then Big 6, then Big 7, then Big 8, then Big 12? You mean that ONE conference? I believe that the Big 10 is the second conference we have been a part of since the 20’s.

You're going to lecture us on who is wanted? Really?
You’re right, Nebraska wasn’t wanted, were they. Oh yeah, our application to the Big 10 was excepted just a year ago, was it not? NU was probably the 3rd choice of the Big 10 (Notre Dame and Texa$$ being 1 and 2), but we were a much better fit.

The better question is: If Iowa was in the Big 12, was disgruntled, and the Big 10 had 1 spot to fill, would YOU be invited to join? What does Iowa bring? A mediocre football team that has no national television presence, no National Championships, 1 Heisman winner, 14 bowl wins, and a mere 11 conference titles? A crappy basketball team? A crappy baseball team? Do you even have a women’s volleyball team? Oh, that’s right, your national power of a wrestling program would probably get you an invite, right? Iowa might as well be ISU or Drake.

And BTW, you're welcome for that boatload of cash your university just made off of new TV deals and the CCG. You can thank DONU for that.

Last edited:
Nebraska has never been NU and Northwestern always has. The University of Nebraska at Lincoln is UNL.

Correct. How anyone can get NU from UNL is beyond me. I now understand why the N stands for knowledge.

Latest posts