Hear me out

A little about me... I've been given the banhammer on this site before, for my cynical views of the football team, particularly the head coach.

As I was sitting in kinnick today, I was actually very impressed with our team.

Despite losing to a "MAC team" (who I may remind you, has a very mobile and good to very good QB, and will most likely be a top 25 team at some point this season) I think I saw a TON of improvement.

Ruddock was on point for most of the game, aside for a couple miss read passes. (Both picks).

The only thing I left kinnick upset about is why Ruddock didn't play last year?

He is light years ahead of how vandenburg played last year.

Going into half time, we had scored 24 points. That got me super stoked on our D, and looking at the yardage, also our offense.

Bottom line, it's more productive this year which is what all of us complainers wanted.

One thing, the old Captain Kirk came out in the 3rd and we stopped blitzing (no pressure from the dline again, picked right up from last year) and we stopped blitzing and their QB got comfy.

MM was a beast today.

Ruddock has 100% heart. He WILL win us some games this year.

Weismann didn't look half as dominant as I thought he would.

We passed several times down field, despite what I've seen written on here.

Overall, I actually, to my surprise, left kinnick sunburnt, and much much more optimistic about this season than I came to kinnick.

>passed several times down field

Yeah, so does every other team. The issue is that, starting last year, the downfield pass is treated as a trick play and not a necessary part of the offense.

Sure there were signs of improvement, but how much improvement is there when the end result is always the same?

First game of the year we showed some rust; big whoop. I know we lost the game but I saw that coming a ways off. We will come out with all cylinders firing next Saturday because I have 90% faith in our couching staff.

This feels like a rebuilding team who is showing something. They were more exciting to watch today than they were at all last year. Rudock showed some things too. I don't think we'll be good at all but they could be interesting to watch from a "they are learning" perspective. I don't know, I kind of feel like we could be building back to a respectable team again.

Ruddock still has some glaring issues to iron out but he was alright.

Our secondary is terrible, they bit hard on double moves and play fakes and they looked lost most of the game.

Like...watching his intended receiver off the line?

Rudock made some huge mistakes but he was at least fun to watch. I didn't have to panic and hold my breath every time he threw the damn ball (looking at you Vandy). He'll be fine in time and, like others, I have some optimism for him.

I'm not sure where our TEs were today or why Shumpert got so many throw his way. Weisman didn't do as much as I had hoped but it was nice to see Bullock and Canzeri make some plays.

Our secondary looked horrendous at times (most times) today.

Honestly, if we'd have won by 3, I'd have been looking forward to the rest of the season but we lost in typical Iowa fashion. I truly think as long as Ferentz is at the helm, nothing is going to change. It doesn't matter who is on the field.

Weisman didn't do as much as I had hoped

You know what's weird about this statement? Weisman actually rushed 20 times for an even 100 yards today. I've seen it posted a couple of times now that some people expected more out of Weisman...the holes this year weren't truck-driveable like they were last year and I thought he did a good job of getting a 5 yard gain out of plays that should have been 2-3 yard gains.

Not really disputing or arguing your point...just making an observation because I didn't realize his day was that good either.

Iowa had 202 yards rushing and 458 total offense. Production wise it was a pretty good day. There were some huge breakdowns in the defense which is where most of the problems came from.

First game of the year we showed some rust; big whoop. I know we lost the game but I saw that coming a ways off. We will come out with all cylinders firing next Saturday because I have 90% faith in our couching staff.

You know mo st is a big drop off in competition? Beating them will prove nothing and you really can't evaluate if there is improvement due to the competition.

I saw that same promise that some of you saw. And I saw a team that came out with some emotion and fire. I also saw some guys that could make plays.

Unfortunately, I also saw the same pathetic coaching that we're getting used to (and really tired of).

You know mo st is a big drop off in competition? Beating them will prove nothing and you really can't evaluate if there is improvement due to the competition.

One more game to work out the rust on a less superior team is invaluable. Now if they lose next Saturday I will be extremely upset and will no longer defend ferentz.

One more game to work out the rust on a less superior team is invaluable. Now if they lose next Saturday I will be extremely upset and will no longer defend ferentz.
But you'll defend him with that's the ONLY win of the season? 15 yrs and a record as bad as year 1.

Overall the offense is improved over last year. They are not where any Hawk fans want them, but they aren't last years offense either. That's a plus. Damon Powell. CJ. Good job by the receivers. Iowa actually has a bit of a deep threat. Definite step forward.

One of the picks was a tip ball, not Ruddock fault. Rudock, overall played very well. One badly thrown ball at the wrong time cost. Period. He did a great job for his first start. There's more upside than I expected with Rudock.

The offensive line did a good job, although there were some missed assignments and other things that need to be cleaned up. They are a strength and will get better as the year progresses. Good use of the running backs. Kept them fresh. At times the offense lacked the crisp efficiency needed to be effective.

The defense needs some work. They will get better. Linebackers, as expected are a highlight. Line still needs work. But they were up against a very experienced offensive line. Secondary needs work. Again they were up against one of the nations best QB's. It's not doom and gloom time. This defense is better than last year's.

Special teams. Fake punt? Again? Kickoffs. Excellent. Did NIU even get to come out of the end zone? Punt coverage good.

This was a tough team loss. But Iowa played tough and showed a lot of promise.

I agree, all is not lost. Ruddock seemed poised for a guys first start. I was hoping that we would get a glimpse of the freshman running back but we kept seeing Weisman slamming into 9 man fronts and I think Bullock is still juking as we speak. One cut and go my man. Tanner Miller was nowhere in sight on the few deep balls that were thrown. Not that this shocks me but I didn't see him even on the slow mo reply.

Rudock made some huge mistakes but he was at least fun to watch. I didn't have to panic and hold my breath every time he threw the damn ball (looking at you Vandy). He'll be fine in time and, like others, I have some optimism for him.

I'm not sure where our TEs were today or why Shumpert got so many throw his way. Weisman didn't do as much as I had hoped but it was nice to see Bullock and Canzeri make some plays.

Our secondary looked horrendous at times (most times) today.

Honestly, if we'd have won by 3, I'd have been looking forward to the rest of the season but we lost in typical Iowa fashion. I truly think as long as Ferentz is at the helm, nothing is going to change. It doesn't matter who is on the field.

What plays did you see Canzeri make?

Ill address a few things:

First Jon- I was abrasively anti ferentz. I was justifiably banned.

Ruddock- that's I said a few things during the game, he was watching where he was throwing the whole time. There were a few times where he had open WRs (the first pick, he could have went up the middle sooner and had a huge gain for an open WR but waited and I thought his arm got hit, leading to the pick). He also threw some spot on accurate passes. At the end of the 3rd, that was a catchable ball (I'm a student, it was right in front of us)

Weismann had good production, number wise, but he was arm tackled up high by a dback, I don't think that happened much last year. He, minus one play, wasn't the dominant force he was last year.

NIU- I keep seeing people say that they're a MAC team. While this is correct, please keep in mind this is a very GOOD Mac team. Not the easy win NIU from years passed. They have an experienced team that went to a bcs bowl last year. We cost them a perfect season, and they played as though they remembered it.

Play calling- after a TD to the TE, I was severely disappointed we didn't take advantage of his (CF) size and use him 8-10 more times. Our play calling and scheme is decades behind the top teams, but there's really nothing we can do besides complain, until Kirk is gone.

Ruddock, I don't know if you guys noticed, played his *** off. He made a tackle to save a TD, he was down field on the last play of the game, he ran for a TD.. He has newbie mistakes that at least I, will be patient with because of how he played overall. I honestly think the kid has a bright future, and I'm rarely optimistic on ferentz picked QBs.

On a side note, how cool was it having brad banks back on the field for a few minutes?? (Idk if they showed that on tv)

Ill address a few things:

First Jon- I was abrasively anti ferentz. I was justifiably banned.

Ruddock- that's I said a few things during the game, he was watching where he was throwing the whole time. There were a few times where he had open WRs (the first pick, he could have went up the middle sooner and had a huge gain for an open WR but waited and I thought his arm got hit, leading to the pick). He also threw some spot on accurate passes. At the end of the 3rd, that was a catchable ball (I'm a student, it was right in front of us)

Weismann had good production, number wise, but he was arm tackled up high by a dback, I don't think that happened much last year. He, minus one play, wasn't the dominant force he was last year.

NIU- I keep seeing people say that they're a MAC team. While this is correct, please keep in mind this is a very GOOD Mac team. Not the easy win NIU from years passed. They have an experienced team that went to a bcs bowl last year. We cost them a perfect season, and they played as though they remembered it.

Play calling- after a TD to the TE, I was severely disappointed we didn't take advantage of his (CF) size and use him 8-10 more times. Our play calling and scheme is decades behind the top teams, but there's really nothing we can do besides complain, until Kirk is gone.

Ruddock, I don't know if you guys noticed, played his *** off. He made a tackle to save a TD, he was down field on the last play of the game, he ran for a TD.. He has newbie mistakes that at least I, will be patient with because of how he played overall. I honestly think the kid has a bright future, and I'm rarely optimistic on ferentz picked QBs.

On a side note, how cool was it having brad banks back on the field for a few minutes?? (Idk if they showed that on tv)

I keep hearing that we should throw to cjf. In 4 years has he shown that he knows how to get open? He couldnt do it under okeefe or davis. Maybe, just maybe he is the hole at TE. i have never seen a guy with his size at TE who does so little

Latest posts