Heads rolling today....

Those programs all have a losing record and nothing else to lose at his point.

Washington and Florida likely won't make bowl games.

Iowa is 7-2 right now. Firing an OC mid season would be mind bogglingly stupid if you still have a chance at the division. You think it's just a matter of making a couple phone calls and then you have someone who can either learn our offense or teach 30 guys a new one?

Good lord you guys are ridiculous.

And then what happens when BF's replacement can't win a game because our OL is Swiss cheese? Fire him at the end of the season too? Or maybe just start firing dudes unitl it works, right?

Fire the brand new OL coach who only has freshman and sophomores to work with outside of the center (other than a 5'10" senior guard.

Yeah that sounds like a great plan mid season. It'll definitely make Iowa look like a good job for a good candidate and wouldn't at all make us look like nebraska.

BF isn't going to be fired mid season so let's move on from that scenario. I would like to see Iowa change a few things. Perhaps let's try something different than running off tackle on 3rd and 9. Maybe at crunch time when getting a first down is paramount we have last year's all big ten RB in the game instead of a third string RB. I'd also like to see Iowa not go into the conservative shell for an entire half in an attempt to protect a lead. One last thing I would like to see is Bruce and Johnson on the field from the start of the game and both being utilized often.

And then what happens when BF's replacement can't win a game because our OL is Swiss cheese? Fire him at the end of the season too? Or maybe just start firing dudes unitl it works, right?

Fir the brand new OL coach who only has freshman and sophomores to work with outside of the center (other than a 5'10" senior guard.

Yeah that sounds like a great plan mid season. It'll definitely make Iowa look like a good job for a good candidate and wouldn't at all make us look like nebraska.
Not advocating firing anyone midseason.
But I am curious to know what is the 'cliff' for you? At what point do you agree it's time for a change?
We are, once again this year, among the worst FBS teams in total offense. This year the excuse a poor offensive line, other years its the receivers, or it's poor recruiting, new QB - always something trotted out as an excuse why we are at the bottom of the offense rankings year in / year out.
When in fact we have an offense philosophy that is "defensive" - designed to 'minimize losses'.
I believe we might do better with merely an average offense. But that will require change...

BF isn't going to be fired as long as Kirk is coach.

This is all you really had to say let's face it Iowa is playing for the same thing Washington and Florida are playing for, a bowl game. I know some still think Iowa can still win the West but that is highly unlikely. The reason why this is dumb to talk about is because of this very statement. Kirk is NOT going to fire his son, it will not happen....period!

Not advocating firing anyone midseason.
But I am curious to know what is the 'cliff' for you? At what point do you agree it's time for a change?
It's very simple.

Yet it's something that folks can't seem to grasp for whatever reason. Just like if I told someone that the probability of flipping a coin for 1,000 straight heads is the exact same as any other random combination. You can show people math and facts, but it doesn't register because they get blinded by either stupidity or the hubris of thinking their team (a la nebraska) is much more relevant than it actually is.

The simple fact is this...coaching changes end up with worse results way more often than not, and at the very best they replicate the same poor results. Only in a VERY few instances does a coaching staff come in and improve things, and even rarer yet is it that a staff comes in and improves on a staff with a WP north of .700. To do that would require luck akin to winning the lottery.

That's all fine and dandy if you're a team with a garbage record, or a lot of scandal, or you're already playing musical coaches. But if you aren't...if you're an Iowa team that has had 42 years of stability, been relatively scandal-free, has a rabid regional fanbase, and success that many teams would kill for (yes, more programs than not would love to be in our shoes whether you're happy with it or not), it's monumentally stupid.

Essentially what you're doing by saying you want a different staff is equivalent to,"I've spent $1,000 on scratch tickets but only broken even. I'm going to buy $1,000 more because surely I'll win this time." Because of hubris, you've completely ignored the fact that you've been unbelievably lucky to break even. And even dumber yet you think the odds of better success are in your favor (which they are absolutely not).

Truly elite coaching staffs are not assembled with skill. Elite coaching staffs are a product of luck that makes administration look like they knew what they were doing, as well as recruiting power. Iowa does not have recruiting power, so that leaves luck. And terrible odds.

So you somehow know Iowa simply can't hire a good coach at Iowa after Ferentz retires? What are your sources or what brand of chrystal ball are you using?

It's very simple.

Yet it's something that folks can't seem to grasp for whatever reason. Just like if I told someone that the probability of flipping a coin for 1,000 straight heads is the exact same as any other random combination. You can show people math and facts, but it doesn't register because they get blinded by either stupidity of the hubris of thinking their team (a la nebraska) is much more relevant than it actually is.

The simple fact is this...coaching changes end up with worse results way more often than not, and at the very best they replicate the same poor results. Only in VERY few instances does a coaching staff come in and improve things, and even rarer yet is it that a staff comes in and improves on a staff with a WP north of .700. To do that would require luck akin to winning the lottery.

That's all fine and dandy if you're a team with a garbage record, or a lot of scandal, or you're already playing musical coaches. But if you aren't...if you're an Iowa team that has had 42 years of stability, been relatively scandal-free, has a rabid regional fanbase, and success that many teams would kill for (yes, more programs than not would love to be in our shoes whether you're happy with it or not), it's monumentally stupid.

Essentially what you're doing by saying you want a different staff is equivalent to ,"I've spent $1,000 on scratch tickets but only broken even. I'm going to buy $1,000 more because surely I'll win this time." Because of hubris, you've completely ignored the fact that you've been unbelievably lucky to break even. And even dumber yet you think the odds of better success are in your favor (which they are absolutely not).

Truly elite coaching staffs are not assembled with skill. Elite coaching staffs are a product of luck that makes administration look like they knew what they were doing, as well as recruiting power. Iowa does not have recruiting power, so that leaves luck. And terrible odds.
Despite it's simplicity....I'm not seeing an answer to the question about your threshold for change.

Those programs all have a losing record and nothing else to lose at his point.

Washington and Florida likely won't make bowl games.

Iowa is 7-2 right now. Firing an OC mid season would be mind bogglingly stupid if you still have a chance at the division. You think it's just a matter of making a couple phone calls and then you have someone who can either learn our offense or teach 30 guys a new one?

Good lord you guys are ridiculous.

Well put and when the ship has halfway sunk it is time to throw off the dead weight. And we are not near close enough to these programs to know if the guy getting fired is a good Xs and Os guy but not a good game day motivator etc etc, or a cussing, screamer like one of our past Oline coaches who had a negative impact.

Firing these coaches now and bringing in or promoting another coach to give them a 3-4 game tryout is not a bad idea.

So you somehow know Iowa simply can't hire a good coach at Iowa after Ferentz retires? What are your sources or what brand of chrystal ball are you using?

If you remember Coach Brohm at Purdue had a chance a year or two ago to go back as head coach at his alma mater Louisville which is where he grew up. Wow that is top draw for a lot of coaches and Louisville is proven over the last 10 years to be playing some really good football.

But Brohm stayed at Purdue which to me says he loves the challenge in a top conference and he wants the challenge to win the West and Big Championship.

So I say the Iowa job when it opens up will be a really good landing place for some current top coaches or a top up and comer like Brohm who I think was at Western Kentucky.

Not "can't."

It's just simply unlikely. Very unlikely.

Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there are orders of magnitude more below average coaches available than there are elite coaches. It's no more than a roll of the dice.

Everyone thought Sarkisian was a good coach when Texas hired him. Same thing with Scott Frost. Gene Chizek. Dan Hawkins. Bobby Hauck. Rich Rodriguez...All were the next best thing since sliced bread when they got hired. Those are just the first ones that come to mind. Nebraska thought 9 games wasn't enough so they fired 4 coaches in the last 18 years, and now they're worse off than they started and are working on firing a 5th.

What are your "sources or what brand of crystal ball are you using" to find a needle in a haystack the size of Alaska?

Despite it's simplicity....I'm not seeing an answer to the question about your threshold for change.
First of all, nothing during the season. That's completely foolish.

If the offense stays at the bottom of the B1G for the rest of the season and we lose two out of the next three I'd be ok with a new OC. I'd prefer Levar Woods 1st and O'Keefe next. Levar Woods is a ridiculously good coach and if Iowa lets him go they are screwing themselves. He is building a damn good resume as an assistant and teams will come calling. It's just a matter of time. He's also our best recruiter.

Regardless of what happens I'd like to see Woods get a shot soon because I genuinely think he will be a winning head coach someday. He's a program guy, and if he could make 4-5 years of OC happen he could take the reigns over for the next 20 plus years. He'd be a guy we wouldn't have to worry about leaving because of his ties to Iowa and Iowa City.

Let Brian leave to a G5 head coaching position, promote Woods, and promote him again in a few years. And pray to god Phil Parker coaches until he's 93.