Heads rolling today....

Iowa is 7-2 right now, tied for the West lead, and in line for a very good bowl game.

I know this is an internet message board with anonymous posts, but I think people need to remember that Iowa plays in a very tough league and the two teams that defeated us are quality teams. The stability of the Iowa program is attractive to young recruits, and allows Iowa to be successful year after year. I'm very satisfied with Ferentz and his entire coaching staff. I hope Kirk stays for many more years.

I was very encouraged by what I saw during the Northwestern game. Iowa made a QB change and it paid dividends. Northwestern was jazzed up and it was Senior Day for them, and yet we pulled out a big win. A huge win.

We now have 3 winnable games left. I hope Padilla continues to be the starter. He has more upside that Petras, in my humble opinion.

Jesus H Christ, Fry is absolutely on fire today. Well done, sir!

I'll just chime in and say it's not about being head over heels in love with Kirk and Brian. Brian as our OC...yeah, I'm not sold either. He's pulled some boners, I've seen them too.

This is simply a matter of understanding the difference between "Ferentz & Son vs theoretical ideal alternative" and "Ferentz & Son vs the available realistic alternatives". There is an absolutely massive gap between those two things.

Those of you acting like you know where Ferentz rates relative to the available realsitic alternatives are really full of shit. For one thing, no one *really* knows. For another thing, we have about a century's worth of data that indicates Iowa, under Ferentz, is within about a stone's throw of its best self.

A better coach is certainly out there, but it might take literally decades (yes, decades) to find him. And, by that point, once we do find him, the chances they leap to a blue blood at the first chance they get are extremely high.

Not "can't."

It's just simply unlikely. Very unlikely.

Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there are orders of magnitude more below average coaches available thna there are elite coaches. It's no more than a roll of the dice.

Everyone thought Sarkisian was a good coach when Texas hired him. Same thing with Scott Frost. Gene Chizek. Dan Hawkins. Bobby Hauck. Rich Rodriguez...All the next best thing since sliced bread when they got hired. Those are just the first ones that come to mind. Nebraska thought 9 games wasn't enough so they fired 4 coaches in the last 18 years and now they're worse off than they started and are working on firing a 5th.

What are your "sources or what brand of crystal ball are you using" to find a needle in a haystack the size of Alaska?
I think the needle may be in Iowa City already. Lavar Woods.

And they have no idea they’re full of shit. That makes it worse.

Haha, yee who is without shit throw the first turd.

It is a discussion board yet if some posters on here deviate from your logic just a bit you 'fry' them to a crisp. Just let the discussion roll and ideas will be cleared out at the end of the season.

So you somehow know Iowa simply can't hire a good coach at Iowa after Ferentz retires? What are your sources or what brand of chrystal ball are you using?
What he is not telling you is the same fear mongering was being tossed around when Hayden Fry was be considered for other higher profile college programs or possible NFL positions. Hayden may leave, the sky may cave in on us……….. oh my!!!

So here we are stuck in the ditch with mud half way up to the axles (seven or eight wins a season) but we best not mess with things because we could end up with mud over the entire axles. So just be happy for second or third place in your division year after year, after year.

Another thing Fryiowa, you got on me for having a negative comment after the game. Well look you Mr. “we’re just little ole Iowa and we can’t ever be anything more than what we are now”. Talk about being negative.

At some point it becomes immoral and unethical to give up hope and never be willing to take chances to achieve something better. I’d rather go down swinging than ever give up hope.

Now in fairness to you fryiowa, myself or any one else on this forum, what we think, how we feel, or what we say, it’s not going to change a damn thing. Doesn’t matter whether we are extremely negative or positive. Nothing will ever change as long as the over all Iowa fan base continues to come out in mass to watch the games.

That’s not going to change because there is not much more for sports fans to follow and support in the state. Iowa State? UNI?

Maybe you should quit pointing fingers at people just because they are openly expressing their frustrations, hopes, or fears.

You best go look in the mirror first before pointing any fingers at anyone else.

First nobody should be fired or will be, that's not how Iowa rolls. Second there should be evaluations post season and movement and assignment changes if needed. Kirk will retire some day. Hopefully on that day we make a wise and forward thinking choice on his successor. But until then, since I have no say on this, I reserve the right to armchair QB, bitch and moan, and generally be a stupid fan. I love the Hawks, coaches I tolerate.

Typical Iowa fan base. Same as the damn Cubs fan base. mediocrity is cool. 8-4 with an occasional 10 win season and warm weather bowls.

F that. You, Fryowa are the problem. You accept the shit Iowa throws at you. Think how shitty a tema we would be without Phil Parker. We would be a Bob Commings type program. If our defense wasnt top 10 we would win 4 game s a year.

Oh yeah, what would happen if we got rid of KF? We could be bad? sure. But we could be better. But you KF supporters always look on the negative side. We have the best coach we can get. Yet Bobby Stoops wanted to coach here.

Stupidity that you think a 100+ ranked offense is okay because "we cant get anyone better" . BULLSHIT

You hawk fans remind me of a stretch play to the short side of the field on 3rd and 15. Stupid.

Typical Iowa fan base. Same as the damn Cubs fan base. mediocrity is cool. 8-4 with an occasional 10 win season and warm weather bowls.

F that. You, Fryowa are the problem. You accept the shit Iowa throws at you. Think how shitty a tema we would be without Phil Parker. We would be a Bob Commings type program. If our defense wasnt top 10 we would win 4 game s a year.

Oh yeah, what would happen if we got rid of KF? We could be bad? sure. But we could be better. But you KF supporters always look on the negative side. We have the best coach we can get. Yet Bobby Stoops wanted to coach here.

Stupidity that you think a 100+ ranked offense is okay because "we cant get anyone better" . BULLSHIT

You hawk fans remind me of a stretch play to the short side of the field on 3rd and 15. Stupid.
Whelp that was a little harsher than the way I put it, but you got right it he point of how you feel. You know I agree with you.

I’ve thought about this many many hours.

We get behind our teams. We buy clothing with the logo’s of those we support. The truth is when your out walking around wearing that stuff no one really gives a crap other than other supporters of your team.

Do I walk up to peoe who are wearing Alabama logo’s and ask the in a very humble low keyed tone “May I touch your shoes most holy one?” When I lived in Georgia we had some friends who were die hard Alabama fans. Did it change how I treated them, or my friendship with them based on how their team finished each year? Not in the least. It’s not a life or death situation. It’s just a fun past time. A way too enjoy an afternoon cheering for your team. Now hold that thought.

If it’s just a game, entertainment, fun, then why not go all out and make it entertaining. Wildcats, crazy formations, exotic plays? On a regular bases? Since it’s all fun why not have fun doing it? Why extreme conservatism? Why not shoot the moon?

Is it really going to change anyone’s lives or how anyone feels about you if your team goes 4-8, 5-7, 6-6 as compared to 7-5 or even 8-4? What if we went 6-6 but had a wide open offense with no limitations on trick plays and exotics. Do you know what would happen? Instead of people just silently noticing that your wearing your team logo and not saying anything to you, what likely would happen is fans of other teams would come up and chat with you about how fun it is to watch your team play.

When the last time any fan from another team came up and said “Man you team is so awesome because they somehow manage to win seven or eight games a year”z Never once has that happened to me and I am always out and about wearing my Hawkeye stuff.

The new Kirk? Remember that? That didn’t last long did it? Where did that guy go?

My point here is why not have fun with it. It’s not life or death, but why do we play like it is?

To Kirk and his family;

Don’t you have enough money already?

Well then lighten up and have fun with the offense. It’s the creative portion of the team where you can use your imagination. As long as it’s fun to watch I don’t care if we go 6-6.

Watching your offense is about as fun as going to funerals.

Like some of the Chiefs fans are saying........." why do some of our wins this year feel like losses?"

P.S. Hey, take it easy on Fryowa, he told us all a day ago or so that Petras would be starting vs MN....."book it".

Hey now,BF is the next best thing. He was a coach for New England for goodness sake. You know that team that is so awesome without Tom Brady. He must have learned a lot. Maybe you need a dominant QB? No, Petras starts. So what did he learn?

Reactions: haw
It's very simple.

Yet it's something that folks can't seem to grasp for whatever reason. Just like if I told someone that the probability of flipping a coin for 1,000 straight heads is the exact same as any other random combination. You can show people math and facts, but it doesn't register because they get blinded by either stupidity or the hubris of thinking their team (a la nebraska) is much more relevant than it actually is.

The simple fact is this...coaching changes end up with worse results way more often than not, and at the very best they replicate the same poor results. Only in a VERY few instances does a coaching staff come in and improve things, and even rarer yet is it that a staff comes in and improves on a staff with a WP north of .700. To do that would require luck akin to winning the lottery.

That's all fine and dandy if you're a team with a garbage record, or a lot of scandal, or you're already playing musical coaches. But if you aren't...if you're an Iowa team that has had 42 years of stability, been relatively scandal-free, has a rabid regional fanbase, and success that many teams would kill for (yes, more programs than not would love to be in our shoes whether you're happy with it or not), it's monumentally stupid.

Essentially what you're doing by saying you want a different staff is equivalent to,"I've spent $1,000 on scratch tickets but only broken even. I'm going to buy $1,000 more because surely I'll win this time." Because of hubris, you've completely ignored the fact that you've been unbelievably lucky to break even. And even dumber yet you think the odds of better success are in your favor (which they are absolutely not).

Truly elite coaching staffs are not assembled with skill. Elite coaching staffs are a product of luck that makes administration look like they knew what they were doing, as well as recruiting power. Iowa does not have recruiting power, so that leaves luck. And terrible odds.

Oddly enough every time I have flipped a coin my entire life

It has come up Tails

Which is appropriate for me

Haha, yee who is without shit throw the first turd.

It is a discussion board yet if some posters on here deviate from your logic just a bit you 'fry' them to a crisp. Just let the discussion roll and ideas will be cleared out at the end of the season.

If one is without shite

One might find it difficult to throw that first turd