Head basketball coach

AAAAAqIen2EAAAAAAPVPgg.jpg

Chocolate Poppycock got me through my crack withdrawals.

We are going to do just fine with an assitant coach or mid-major guy. Provided we get a 'good fit'.

Even the ugly girls get a date when they learn that some guys just want a girlfriend.

We are going to do just fine with an assitant coach or mid-major guy. Provided we get a 'good fit'.

Even the ugly girls get a date when they learn that some guys just want a girlfriend.

I admire your glass full.. but its not that simple.

Would you like an example? Coach Lickliter.

I admire your glass full.. but its not that simple.

Would you like an example? Coach Lickliter.

Seems like you are determined to be a negative nancy here. The Lickliter experiment failed, yes. Does that mean that all mid-major coaches are destined to fail in the Big 10?? Heck no. Look at Thad Motta. Tom Izzo. Matt Painter. 2 were assistant coaches and one worked his way up from the mid major level. Even Tubby Smith came up from Tulsa. Truth is, it's a crapshoot sometimes. I guarantee there are diamonds out there in the rough. It's just a matter of Barta finding them.

Personally, I still think guys like Buzz Williams are a possibility for us, but if we have to take a risk on a guy like Steve Forbes, so be it!

I don't think that Forbes should be a "fall back guy" at all. To the contrary I think he would be a good fit. By all accounts he is a top notch recruiter who was heavily pursued by Bruce Pearl and Billy Gillispie to aid in the turn around of those programs. He has been around success at the big schools in major conferences so he knows what it takes to win in a major D1 conference. He is rumored to be lobbying for the job quite heavily, which shows that he is motivated to come to Iowa. Throw in the fact that he is from Iowa and would lock down the top in state recruits you can imagine if the man has success as the head coach at Iowa he will be here for the long term, rather than abandoning the program for greener pastures. As coaches go, Forbes is a hot prospect and will be a head coach at a big school soon, so why not strike while the iron is hot and snatch this guy up?

Wait a second, are you trying to tell me that Izzo was an assistant that took over at a program that had won a national title within 15 years of his getting the job? Poppycock.

John, Izzo took over in '95 or '96 and they won the title in '79 so it was only 16 years or so :)

Seems like you are determined to be a negative nancy here. The Lickliter experiment failed, yes. Does that mean that all mid-major coaches are destined to fail in the Big 10?? Heck no. Look at Thad Motta. Tom Izzo. Matt Painter. 2 were assistant coaches and one worked his way up from the mid major level. Even Tubby Smith came up from Tulsa. Truth is, it's a crapshoot sometimes. I guarantee there are diamonds out there in the rough. It's just a matter of Barta finding them.

Personally, I still think guys like Buzz Williams are a possibility for us, but if we have to take a risk on a guy like Steve Forbes, so be it!

Thanks for adding to my point...

Good programs don't have to find diamonds in the rough... that is the point.... We are in a terrible spot. We have to gamble and hope we find that diamond. We can't pick from the litter.

I used poppycock in a thread about a month back. I'm glad to see it's sticking. I also like shennanigans, hoot nanny, malarky, ballyhoo, fiddle faddle, bunk, hooey, tom fooler, and mumbo jumbo.

Good programs don't have to find diamonds in the rough... that is the point.... We are in a terrible spot. We have to gamble and hope we find that diamond. We can't pick from the litter.

I dont see a lot of people beating the band to say Iowa is a great program right now and has its pick.

This is going to be a job for whomever takes it. It's not going to be easy. And quite frankly, the kind of person Iowa might need for a job like that is someone that is already working his nards off every day, out on the trails, handling stuff that an established head coach doesnt want to handle.

Because I just can't imagine too many established high major program coaches would want to take the Iowa job right now.

So whether its because we are where we are at, or because we need someone to come in and be a workaholic, the result might be the same; the hawks need a grinder that can recruit, recruit, recruit.

Well, Iowa is not a good program right now, thus the problem at hand!

I thought money was not a problem. If Forbes is the best we can do we just as well do away with the basketball program and fire Barta. WE NEED TO AIM HIGHER!

I thought money was not a problem. If Forbes is the best we can do we just as well do away with the basketball program and fire Barta. WE NEED TO AIM HIGHER!

If name recognition is what you are looking for then Iowa could certainly afford more. But as far as a good fit for this program I think Forbes would be an outstanding hire. SInce you only have 2 posts to go by I can only go by what you've written so far, but you impress me as the kind of person who would pass on Forbes and then when he takes over another division 1 program and builds it into a success, while Iowa is buying out another contract from a "big" name that didn't fit here, you will complain that we should have hired him in the first place.

The next Lute Olson or Tom Izzo is somewhere! Barta just has to find him.

Lute had four years of head coaching experience at Long Beach City College and one year at Long Beach State. Izzo's only head coaching experience was one season at Ishpeming High School.

Michigan State is in their thirteenth straight NCAA tournament, which is the fifth longest current streak among Division I teams. During that run, only Roy Williams (35) has more NCAA tournament wins than Tom Izzo (31). Izzo also joins Krzyzewski and Ben Howland as the only three coaches that have made three consecutive Final Fours since the NCAA tournament bracket expanded to 64 teams in 1985. Tom Izzo has coached his teams to seven regular-season Big Ten championships, two Big Ten Tournament titles, five NCAA Final Four appearances, and one NCAA national championship.

Not bad for someone with no head coaching experience.

Latest posts