Hawks Hold Off Cyclones

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Iowa Hawkeyes beat Iowa State 80-71 on Friday night in a very entertaining renewal of the CyHawk Series.

More...

The Iowa basketball team shot just 5 of 20 from three-point range against Iowa State on Friday night. Had you told me that before the game, I would have said Iowa State won the game, as the Cyclones came into the contest as the nation's best rebounding team. I believed Iowa needed to be better than what they had been from beyond the arc in order to win.

They were actually worse than what they had been shooting beyond the arc, but Iowa won the rebounding battle by two, forced 19 Iowa State turnovers and had a +10 advantage in points in the paint en route to an 80-71 win against the Cyclones.

The Hawkeyes shot 30 of 65 for the game compared to 25 of 59 for Iowa State. The Cyclones hit nine three-point shots but those game on 28 attempts. In the second half with the Iowa lead still in single digits, the Cyclones seemed to settle for chucking long distance shots; shots that were a good two or three feet behind the three-point arc. To Iowa's credit, they were able to take care of business on the glass and limit Iowa State's second chance opportunities. Iowa actually had 15 offensive boards to Iowa State's 14.

Aaron White and Anthony Clemmons were the catalysts for the Hawkeyes. White had 14 of his team best 18 points in the first half while Clemmons scored seven in each half en route to 14 points and a team best eight assits to just one turnover. Mike Gesell scored 11 points on 2 of 10 shooting, but was 6 of 6 from the line including four late in the game when Iowa needed them. Adam Woodbury was also impressive, scoring nine points on 4 of 5 shooting to go along with five rebounds.

Of those four players, three are true freshmen and one is a sophomore. Sophomore Josh Oglesby added eight points, including two big three-point shots midway through the second half.

Iowa's leading scorer Devyn Marble scored just two in the first half and finished with six on 2 of 10 shooting, but he held ISU's Will Clyburn, their leading scorer, to zero points in 24 minutes.

It was the kind of game those of us older than 25 grew up watching in this series; intense, entertaining and full of solid play. There were more than 15,100 fans in the stands and most all of them went away happy.

Iowa State entered the game ranked 34th in Ken Pomeroy's rankings and 44th in Jeff Sagarin's rankings. No, it wasn't a Top 25 opponent so you wouldn't go as far to say it's a signature win for Iowa, but this is still an inexperienced team in some critical areas, namely the two point guards and center who are true freshmen.

Iowa's resume to date lacked a win against a team with a pulse; their two losses have come against Wichita State and Virginia Tech, two teams who were a combined 15-0 entering Friday's action.

Iowa is now 8-2 and has a week off for finals before playing their next game against Northern Iowa in Des Moines. That's Iowa's last true challenge before beginning Big Ten play, as the Hawks will play South Carolina State and Coppin State before hosting the #1 ranked Indiana Hoosiers on New Year's Eve.

Before the season began, I felt Iowa would be 11-2 heading into Big Ten play. If they can beat UNI next week that will be their likely record. Iowa also plays the weakest conference slate of any of the 12 Big Ten teams, but there are no truly weak schedules in the nation's best basketball conference.

Some Iowa fans are clinging to the hopes that this Iowa team can play their way into the NCAA tournament. While I still believe this team is at best a bubble team and more likely headed back to the NIT, Friday night's game was a step in the right direction. Iowa executed what it wanted to do better than Iowa State. That's what good teams have to do and something Iowa had not done against Wichita State and Virginia Tech.

Iowa didn't win its eight game last year until their final out of conference game, their 13th of the season.

Iowa and Northern Iowa will tip off at 1:31pm on December 15th, with the game televised on the BTN.

Screen-Shot-2012-12-07-at-9.36.30-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2012-12-07-at-9.36.53-PM.png

A few more thoughts...

Woodbury: He needs to get stronger obviously, but I did not expect the kind of offensive arsenal he has. That half hook is pretty deadly and something that will make him a lot of cash. It would appear that facing triangle and two or triples teams in high school had an effect. The kid is going to get sooooo much better, and he is already showing a post game that is as good as Iowa has had from a center since perhaps Acie Earl.

Gesell: Will struggle against athletic guards this year but the thing I like about him is he forgets bad plays. Just flushes them.

Clemmons: May turn out to be the steal of the class. Van Coleman said not to sleep on his offense when he was signed...and he is showing some skills there...his assist to turnover total so far this year is out of this world and he is a good on ball defender.

White: Quickly moving up my personal ranks of favorite Iowa players ever. Love watching that kid play.

Thought tonight at one point when Woodbury and White went out...how about next year when that happens..you bring in Basabe and Uthoff. The pieces are coming together.

A few more thoughts...

Woodbury: He needs to get stronger obviously, but I did not expect the kind of offensive arsenal he has. That half hook is pretty deadly and something that will make him a lot of cash. It would appear that facing triangle and two or triples teams in high school had an effect. The kid is going to get sooooo much better, and he is already showing a post game that is as good as Iowa has had from a center since perhaps Acie Earl.

Gesell: Will struggle against athletic guards this year but the thing I like about him is he forgets bad plays. Just flushes them.

Clemmons: May turn out to be the steal of the class. Van Coleman said not to sleep on his offense when he was signed...and he is showing some skills there...his assist to turnover total so far this year is out of this world and he is a good on ball defender.

White: Quickly moving up my personal ranks of favorite Iowa players ever. Love watching that kid play.

Thought tonight at one point when Woodbury and White went out...how about next year when that happens..you bring in Basabe and Uthoff. The pieces are coming together.

Woodbury's passing is far ahead of Earl's at this point in his career. He's great at kicking out to shooters, they just need to start knocking down some shots.

Woodbury's passing is far ahead of Earl's at this point in his career. He's great at kicking out to shooters, they just need to start knocking down some shots.

No doubt...he made three passes out of the post to wide open shooters because he is attracting a crowd. Iowa just missed them.

A few more thoughts...

One of your better post in a while and I could not agree more. White is a smart player, always in position to make a play.

Back in the day Gesell would have been our best starting point guard since Horner, but on this team Clemmons may force him into a SG role. It is nice to see Iowa have quality depth!

A monster dunk and a snagging a one-handed rebound back to back (at least I think they were back to back). Been a while since Iowa has had a player consistently making plays like this.

Wow.... when ISU won one football game against Iowa in 4 meetings it was called an anamoly and it only happened because that was the only game we got up for all year long.

So Iowa wins one game in the last 4 meetings in basketball and all of the sudden they are dominant now, huh? Interesting how that works.

I just hope the Iowa fans support this team when the B1G teams are laying them to waste this year. I hope Carver doesn't become a morgue again and you have to resort to handing out free pizza, free ice cream, and stuffed animals to your students to get them to show up? This team deserves better than that.

JMO, but I think Clemmons is a little ahead of Gesell right now because of where he came from. The Lansing high school games are very intense and physical, with a lot of great athletes. I'm confident that Gesell will ultimately adjust to the speed/intensity of the Big10.

Wow.... when ISU won one football game against Iowa in 4 meetings it was called an anamoly and it only happened because that was the only game we got up for all year long.

So Iowa wins one game in the last 4 meetings in basketball and all of the sudden they are dominant now, huh? Interesting how that works.

I just hope the Iowa fans support this team when the B1G teams are laying them to waste this year. I hope Carver doesn't become a morgue again and you have to resort to handing out free pizza, free ice cream, and stuffed animals to your students to get them to show up? This team deserves better than that.

You mad brah!

One of your better post in a while and I could not agree more. White is a smart player, always in position to make a play.

Back in the day Gesell would have been our best starting point guard since Horner, but on this team Clemmons may force him into a SG role. It is nice to see Iowa have quality depth!

As long as the starting 5 can stay out of foul trouble, this team can hang with anyone. Oglesby had a couple key 3's and even May and Mccabe chipped in with key baskets off the bench. I think Oglesby is a liability on defense. The starting 5 is truly solid. I think the key to this team being successful will be good, but few minutes from the bench. Mccabe, Basabe, and Oglesby are going to have the step up their games.

I will be the first to admit that I am extremely cynical and hard on this team especially on twitter, but I was very impressed with the intensity and emotion from this team tonight. That same emotion was lacking in the two losses. This team can only get better and will be SCARY good next season.

Right on.

Iowa is definitely a crock-pot vs a microwave team this year.

I disagree about teams no having a pulse
WKU is 7-2 on the season and may win their conference and be in the dance
right now most are at .500 with just 2 with 2 wins, even CMU is 4-3, this is a brand new season, things do change

Make no mistake about it, Iowa is going to dominate the Clowns for years to come. The Iowa team that put ISU away was a young team. You and the rest of ClownNation will have to get used to seeing these same guys for a while. Enjoy!

Gesell looks more comfortable at the #2.

Latest posts