Hawks flip eastern michigan LB commit

Or a better scenario for us is that a freak lightning strike finds you.
Well those are about the odds of this kid becoming the next Hitchens or Sanders. The truth is the truth, now keep burying your head in the sand and pretending KF just landed a real find that every other coach just failed to offer. This is why the program is where it's at, period.

Congrats again, this coaching staff is putting together a very good recruiting class.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic. This type of recruiting class is why the program has fallen to where it's at, and will continue to fall. The staff is scrambling to fill the class with fallbacks that have MAC level offers. If this kid is so prized why didn't the staff recognize this and offer him before? Save the Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders story as well, for every one of them there are about 15 2 stars that never pan out. Whose recruit are we going to poach next, Augustana?

If you judge by comparative offers. This class has commits from players with offers from: Alabama, Auburn, Miami, Michigan, o$u, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Arizona. Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Syracuse, TCU, Texas Tech etc etc. It has lineman that could contribute at a true freshman. It has players from Texas, Florida, Missouri, Illinois and Ohio in addition they kept the best in state recruits. This is a good class.

It used to be any time we snagged a lower-ranked recruit I never questioned Kirk and Co. Kudos to any kid who wants to come and play for the Hawks. This is nothing against the kids. I admire them for having the ability to be good enough in football to earn a scholarship.

My post has more to do with Kirk and his ability to spot/bring in the best players. Yes, I know in year's past we have been successful in bringing in lower-ranked recruits and then turning them into NFL players ... On the flip side, I would say lately we have had many more recruits who simply have not panned out ... And our recent class recruiting rankings now mirror where we are at as a program (in that 50th or so slot ... on the recruiting front ... and on the team ranking front) ... The bottomline is we simply won't compete for any Big 10 title with the level of recruiting we are now doing. We used to get a sniff of possibly contending for the Big 10 every few years ... Now ... we are simply a Minnesota ... (which is scary, because I think they are on the upswing moreso than us)

Well those are about the odds of this kid becoming the next Hitchens or Sanders. The truth is the truth, now keep burying your head in the sand and pretending KF just landed a real find that every other coach just failed to offer. This is why the program is where it's at, period.

I am praying for thundersnow each day. May I suggest a beautiful steel roof rake for your use. Take it on walks or wherever you go.

We are desperately in need of linebackers, and I would say this guy, while he doesn't have the D1 offers or the measurable a, is much preferred to a walk on. Baby steps. Kirk didn't in-home visit with him last night and it worked. I just wish Kirk was doing these in-home visits all year long and getting commits.

I hope this player turns out to be good, don't get me wrong, but I find it disturbing that we are saying these things 16+ years into our coach's tenure.

It used to be any time we snagged a lower-ranked recruit I never questioned Kirk and Co. Kudos to any kid who wants to come and play for the Hawks. This is nothing against the kids. I admire them for having the ability to be good enough in football to earn a scholarship.

My post has more to do with Kirk and his ability to spot/bring in the best players. Yes, I know in year's past we have been successful in bringing in lower-ranked recruits and then turning them into NFL players ... On the flip side, I would say lately we have had many more recruits who simply have not panned out ... And our recent class recruiting rankings now mirror where we are at as a program (in that 50th or so slot ... on the recruiting front ... and on the team ranking front) ... The bottomline is we simply won't compete for any Big 10 title with the level of recruiting we are now doing. We used to get a sniff of possibly contending for the Big 10 every few years ... Now ... we are simply a Minnesota ... (which is scary, because I think they are on the upswing moreso than us)

Minnesota???? More like Iowa State and the Chicago Cubs. All we can hope for is that Sunshine tears it up next year.

I'm willing to bet you and I both won't win the lottery tomorrow. I'd also bet this kid will hit the lottery compared to us even if he's just a special teams player.

Agreed. If he plays as a freshman and doesn't have a redshirt year, he's won at least $27,409 x 4 years = $109,636. (Out of state tuition at Iowa). If he redshirts he's won $27,409 x 5 = $137,045. Plus he'll get a degree and network contacts he can build while at Iowa. Not a bad deal.

Agree with your points. KF is still very good at taking low ranked recruits and getting them a shot in the NFL, for specific positions (Defense is your best bet as a Hawk, as we put DL, LB, and DB's consistently).

None of this has translated to results on the field. In fact, despite having NFL talent on either side of the ball, we continue to look lost. We have a three year starter at QB and a Outland Trophy winner on offense, and we looked lost, and flat out embarrassing. Ditto for the defense trying to replace three LBs, despite having two NFL players on the line.

Our recruiting matches exactly with our record over the year. KF is going to go out with a whimper, much like Hayden did. 2015 will get us our 6-7 wins, a chance at a bowl championship, and rinse repeat for 2016.

According to the Rivals ratings, Kirk has landed only two 5-star recruits while at Iowa. He landed Kyle Williams, a 5-star linebacker in 2004. Kyle Williams never played a down for Iowa and is currently in prison. He landed Dan Doering, a 5-star offensive tackle in 2005. He was an on-again, off-again starter on the line for the Hawks. He was invited to NFL camps but never made a team.

Leads me to believe that maybe star ratings aren't all that accurate.

According to the Rivals ratings, Kirk has landed only two 5-star recruits while at Iowa. He landed Kyle Williams, a 5-star linebacker in 2004. Kyle Williams never played a down for Iowa and is currently in prison. He landed Dan Doering, a 5-star offensive tackle in 2005. He was an on-again, off-again starter on the line for the Hawks. He was invited to NFL camps but never made a team.

Leads me to believe that maybe star ratings aren't all that accurate.

Alabama is stacked with 5 star guys. So is tOSU. Sure you have hits and misses. Kids are very dynamic. They are always a challenge. But, because we have recruited 2 5 star guys that didn't pan out, doesn't mean the star system is broken. I would prefer us to get 10 5 star guys and have 2 or 3 flame out, then get no 4 or 5 star players. 2 and 3 star players flame out too. But the rankings are not just a guess, there is some research and thought put into them.

I looked on Rivals. He is listed as 6'2, 190 lb, 4.59 forty. His brother at Michigan is a 3 star and listed as a 4.65 forty. The short video I saw showed an interception runback and he had some quick elusive moves during the return. Oh, he has a 38 vertical and Mario only has a 30. So I think we got a good one here.

Alabama is stacked with 5 star guys. So is tOSU. Sure you have hits and misses. Kids are very dynamic. They are always a challenge. But, because we have recruited 2 5 star guys that didn't pan out, doesn't mean the star system is broken. I would prefer us to get 10 5 star guys and have 2 or 3 flame out, then get no 4 or 5 star players. 2 and 3 star players flame out too. But the rankings are not just a guess, there is some research and thought put into them.

Don't forget about Bob Sanders.

Latest posts