Hawks at the combine

Simple. It was not JVB's skill set that caused the problems in 2012...it was the system, and at some level, the coaching. Just my opinion.
WEAKNESSES 1. Lacks composure to work through progressions, appears to lock on to a receiver and overthrows if they do not separate. 2. Gets happy feet when that first read is not there, attempts to reset but those throws are consistently poor. 3. Ducks when facing interior pressure at the release point.

These three things were there from Day 1 and he never improved. This was NOT a coaching issue. He just doesn't have the temperament to be able to slow things down.

NFL Comparison - Phantom Sack Jim Everett. Rob Johnson.

WEAKNESSES 1. Lacks composure to work through progressions, appears to lock on to a receiver and overthrows if they do not separate. 2. Gets happy feet when that first read is not there, attempts to reset but those throws are consistently poor. 3. Ducks when facing interior pressure at the release point.

These three things were there from Day 1 and he never improved. This was NOT a coaching issue. He just doesn't have the temperament to be able to slow things down.

This.

Jim Everett was one hell of a professional QB.

Jim Everett was one hell of a professional QB.

Go back and look at his completion percentage and TD/Int ratio. In his 2 best years he was 31-18 and 29-17.

For his career he had 203 TDs and 175 INTs.

His career completion percentage was 57.7. That is Matt Cassel in KC (not in NE) territory.

He had the tools except he never really slowed the game down. So, when he had time you saw the tools work.

Pretty much just what we see with JVB.

Now, I guess the way I stated it, it seemed like I was saying JVB could be like Everett in the pros. I really meant JVB in college reminded me of Everett in the pros. All the tools, except the composure.

Rob Johnson is a better comparison, but didn't know who would remember him.

Last edited:
It doesn't happen often, but I have to agree with CAAR on this one. Certainly some of JVB's struggles were the result of a new offensive system, but that's not the only place the fault lies. His struggles increased greatly when he was trying to make too much happen. He got happy feet, locked onto receivers, and at times he tried to throw the ball so hard he lost accuracy. There were also times his receivers dropped balls that hit them square in the hands, but part of that is also on JVB because he just didn't put any touch on the ball.

As I said before, you can't pin the blame on any one particular person. It was a snowball effect in my opinion. Kind of like a streaky shooter in basketball. He lost confidence early on and never really seemed to get it back.