Hawks at the combine

Herkyalert

Banned
James Vandenberg ran his 1st attempt in the 40 and turned in a 4.87. 2nd attempt was a 4.94.

Geno Smith is the fastest so far with a 4.56.

Is Keenan Davis there? I saw some of the WR workouts and didn't see him.

Denard Robinson is working out at WR I see.

Last edited:
wow. i totally forgot about the combine. please keep us updated if you're watching. curious to see how fast Denard runs officially.

Robinson just ran 4.34.

4.25 by T Austin from West Virginia is the fastest so far.

Austin is a RB, right? i'm sure some dude will put up ridiculous numbers from out of nowhere. happens every year. then some dumb team (used to be the Raiders, but not so much now that Davis is gone) will take them way ahead of where they should be.

Austin is a RB, right? i'm sure some dude will put up ridiculous numbers from out of nowhere. happens every year. then some dumb team (used to be the Raiders, but not so much now that Davis is gone) will take them way ahead of where they should be.
He's a WR/return guy. Only 5-8 but has 114 catches last season but did play some RB late in the year.

Marquise Goodwin also ran a 4.25.

Saw that Iowa's Pro Day is slated for March 25th.

Davis, Ferentz, Hyde, and Vandenberg are all working out at it.

Tweets from the combine on JVB....

Hawkeye Gamefilm
@hawkeyegamefilm

Nice easy throws by JVB on slants, hit his guys on the front hip, very catch-able ball both times in stride.Release looked a little long tho

Hawkeye Gamefilm ‏@hawkeyegamefilm
Text-book mechanics from JVB on the out throws. Carried ball up around his ear to speed his delivery, ball on time & on target.

JVB's deep ball is going to turn some heads; not the throw it-self, how easy it is for him to toss the ball ~50 yards. Dropping it in well

NFL nework guys now catching on to JVBs peculiar 1 hand on the ball drop thing. Ball security wasn't a consistent issue at Iowa tho

No question about velocity & accuracy for JVB so far today. Ball is on a line with heat.

RBs running 'shoot' routes out of back-field into flat. Amounts to a 1 or 2 yard out route....and yes James Vandenberg is throwing them.

Kyle Hughes ‏@kjhughes12
James Vandenberg recorded 3rd best vertical jump among QBs. His 32 inches trailed only Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel. #Hawkeyes

^^ thanks!

never noticed the one hand thing...interesting.

also, funny about the 1 yard outs.

^^ thanks!

never noticed the one hand thing...interesting.

also, funny about the 1 yard outs.

No problem. Hawkeyegamefilm is an excellent follow, especially around combine time.

I never noticed the one hand thing either. Must not of been a problem as he didn't have a fumbling "problem" at Iowa. He is showing what Iowa fans knew he had in 2011...a strong arm.

No problem. Hawkeyegamefilm is an excellent follow, especially around combine time.

I never noticed the one hand thing either. Must not of been a problem as he didn't have a fumbling "problem" at Iowa. He is showing what Iowa fans knew he had in 2011...a strong arm.

too bad we didn't try and use it to our advantage...

sad face...

too bad we didn't try and use it to our advantage...

sad face...

As much as fans got on JVB, wonder how much of his problems were issues with the scheme, receivers running the correct plays, confusion between KF, KOK and GD. It'll be very interesting if he blows it up at the combine, gets drafted and does well in the NFL.

In a strange move for a coach with an unhappy and disappointed fanbase, Kirk Ferentz pushed his graduating seniors into the path of a Combine Harvester machine outside Iowa City today. Some fans thought it was part of the pre-draft workouts and preparation for a Pro Day next month. Running away from and dodging those machines can be difficult. Longtime Hawk fans believe it was an exercise to get revenge on the local media by the increasingly eccentric Hawkeye Football coach.

He is showing what Iowa fans knew he had in 2011...a strong arm.

All reports were that he showed a great arm as soon as he arrived on campus. That was never his problem. The problem is when you add an amount of pressure.

Fans knew that in 2010.

All reports were that he showed a great arm as soon as he arrived on campus. That was never his problem. The problem is when you add an amount of pressure.

Fans knew that in 2010.

Na it was the **** poor play calling by GD all year...