Hawkeyes Picked 8th By B1G Media

In order to best predict the conference standings one would really have to dive into each team’s schedule as the uneven scheduling plays just as much as a factor as anything the way the conference is currently set up. I don’t think that these “media” members care to even look that closely to be quite honest.

If that was a power ranking it would be one thing, although I think we might be ahead of some of those teams in front of us when all is said and done.

With our schedule I would be very surprised if we finished 8th, but I am not one bit surprised that that’s where the media has us. That’s great, more bulletin board material for this team that appears to be hungry for success.

Not overly surprising. I like us to finish higher than 8th though. Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan and Maryland are all teams I could see Iowa finishing above, but understandable why voters have them ranked ahead of Iowa based off the name on the jersey and/or the fact they made the tourney last year.
Wisconsin, Michigan and Maryland lose a lot. Northwestern isn't going to sneak up on anybody this year and they benefited from an easy conference schedule last year.

Wow... MSU might be the only team that I'd sit here and say I'm 'scared' of. The rest I'm just not. Wisky?? They lost a ton I can't see them being better or as good as last yr. Same with Purdue they lost the best player in the league. I don't think they'll just replace everything he did easily. How can the media who is paid to research this can't have a better grasp on things? I just don't think Iowa being a top 4 team in this league should be looked at as overachieving at all. With who we have coming back and how they'll play I'll be surprised if we finish 5th or lower.

Being ranked eighth might help this team psychologically. They have an easy schedule to that probably would hurt them psychologically. Anyway, it should give them some incentive. Iowa state is picked to finish ninth in their conference.

Last edited:
Wow that's surprising. I've seen multiple articles that had us as a dark horse in the conference. Fran has finished in the top half of the conference before with less talent and a stronger B1G.

8th seems low to me, too, but when you look at the teams picked ahead of Iowa, its hard to argue. MSU is the clear favorite. While PU lost their best player (as did Iowa), they have some pieces back from a S16 season. Minny was a tourney team last season with everyone back and more talent coming. NW made the NCAAT and has everyone back. I’d go with the Hawks over NW bc of depth and bc i feel NW may just plateau but that’s more conjecture. Typical trajecory puts them ahead of Iowa. MD had some impressive F/So that are back and have more of a history of success. I’d go with Iowa over MD but its not unreasonable. IDK much about what MI has back. They put together a nice run in the NCAAT last year but lost some guys. You simply cant pick Iowa over WI objectively. WI has finished in the top 4 in the conference in successive years for something like 12 years. Being picked mid pack in the B1G isn’t that big of a slight. Iowa is picked to finish right with WI.

Crazy B1G fact...Half the conference has competed in the national title game this millennium. That’s just insane.

This isn't football, respect will be earned on the court and in the NCAA Tournament. So what if they don't believe in Iowa. I know I'm excited about them and they got the BigTen coaches talking about them. That means more than useless preseason polls.

Wow... MSU might be the only team that I'd sit here and say I'm 'scared' of. The rest I'm just not. Wisky?? They lost a ton I can't see them being better or as good as last yr. Same with Purdue they lost the best player in the league. I don't think they'll just replace everything he did easily. How can the media who is paid to research this can't have a better grasp on things? I just don't think Iowa being a top 4 team in this league should be looked at as overachieving at all. With who we have coming back and how they'll play I'll be surprised if we finish 5th or lower.

Don't people say this about Wisconsin about every other year? "How are they going to replace Kaminsky? Dekker? Tucker? Harris? Butch? Taylor?! This is the year they fall back." I thought the year Bo Ryan retired it might actually be true especially when they started 1-5 in the league and then they went out and ended up 12-6. So picking them 7th seems like quite the gamble. They just seem to coach up their guys no matter who it is and roll out an effective team. I'm sure there's some goofy 6-10 white guy they bring out of nowhere that ends up being All-conference.

Seen it too many times to fall for it again.

Don't people say this about Wisconsin about every other year? "How are they going to replace Kaminsky? Dekker? Tucker? Harris? Butch? Taylor?! This is the year they fall back." I thought the year Bo Ryan retired it might actually be true especially when they started 1-5 in the league and then they went out and ended up 12-6. So picking them 7th seems like quite the gamble. They just seem to coach up their guys no matter who it is and roll out an effective team. I'm sure there's some goofy 6-10 white guy they bring out of nowhere that ends up being All-conference.

Yes Bo Ryan teams were really good at surprising in years they were picked to finish lower. He's gone now and so are his players, so we don't have any past history to draw conclusions from anymore.

I wouldn't put them at like 10th or anything crazy (unless injuries were to decimate them). But they won't be a top 5 team they just won't. I would almost put the farm on it. Who's their one big guy that's coming back I can't remember his name but the kid is a good player inside 10 feet. But he can't shoot any further out then that or hit free throws. We seemed to frustrate him quite well with our front court last yr and our group just got a year older. Again I'm not looking for them to be a bottom feeder but they aren't challenging for the BIG title.

Personally, I'm glad the team is being ignored/put down. It seams the Hawks have always done better when flying under the radar. Then, when they get things going, they get more press which is good for the program. Finally, it puts a chip on the teams shoulder. "You doubt this team? Watch what we can do!"

From what I've seen and read, this team will do better than any previous Fran team. The swagger is there. Other teams have had the talent, they just didn't have that killer instinct. I'm looking forward to this season .. and the first exhibition game is Friday!!

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!!

Yes Bo Ryan teams were really good at surprising in years they were picked to finish lower. He's gone now and so are his players, so we don't have any past history to draw conclusions from anymore.

Bo hasn't been there for 2-years. The current coach took them to past 2 Sweet 16's. It's kind of like the football program, the coaches change but it still remains a well-run system.

Top 4 for 18 years? It's not like they haven't had to replace 4 of 5 starters during that span.

Latest posts