Hawkeyes Picked 8th By B1G Media

Bo hasn't been there for 2-years. The current coach took them to past 2 Sweet 16's. It's kind of like the football program, the coaches change but it still remains a well-run system.

Top 4 for 18 years? It's not like they haven't had to replace 4 of 5 starters during that span.
The thing is the last two years have still been Bo's team. Most, if not all, went to Wisconsin to play for Bo, not Gard. So while officially Gard took them to the Sweet 16, It's really Bo's teams.

My guess is that most of the starters this year (with the exception of Happ) will be Gard recruits.This is when the Gard Era begins. We'll see how good a coach he really is.

Just my 2¢ .. .. GO HAWKS!!

For me I think Minnesota comes back to earth a little bit this year. I just don’t think they have the 3pt shooting. Purdue is a better team in my opinion.

Heard Minne piss pounded Creighton in their secret scrimmage and CU fans seem to think they're gonna be top 5 of the Big East. FWIW

I think Minnesota regresses too. Last year they were Cinderellas, this year they have sky-high expectations. I still think that bullshit Iowa game catapulted their season. They were 4-6 in the big ten going into that game and then ripped off 8 straight wins.

That being said they only play Sparty once, and that's at home. Plus their 2 early Big Ten games are Rutgers and Nebraska, so they should have no problem starting out 2-0.

It seems like Maryland is getting overlooked. I think Huerter will be one of the biggest surprises this year, he's got all the tools to be a 15/5/5 player.

Our back court is not good enough for a top 5 finish in the BIG conference. Not good enough on the defensive end. My guess would be 6-8 slot. But I was wrong about last season, so......

Our back court is not good enough for a top 5 finish in the BIG conference. Not good enough on the defensive end. My guess would be 6-8 slot. But I was wrong about last season, so......

I can see anywhere from #4-8 finish in the B1G. I think MSU, Minnesota, Purdue and Northwestern are going finish 1-4 and then following will be #4-8 (Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maryland).

For those saying Iowa's schedule will hurt them, I found this interesting. Here are the # of opponent faced ranked Kenpom's 243 or lower:

Michigan 7
Iowa 6
MSU 6
Northwestern 4
Wisconsin 4
Minnesota 4
Maryland 3
Purdue 2

I'm not sure about picking out one aspect of a team and pretending others don't have flaws too. If we are one of the best teams in the conference in offensive efficiency and have good interior defense, we can finish top 3 even with bad defense from our guards.

Moss hasn’t played much in the two exhibitions. IMO he is the key to this whole thing.

Reactions: trj
I can see anywhere from #4-8 finish in the B1G. I think MSU, Minnesota, Purdue and Northwestern are going finish 1-4 and then following will be #4-8 (Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Maryland).

For those saying Iowa's schedule will hurt them, I found this interesting. Here are the # of opponent faced ranked Kenpom's 243 or lower:

Michigan 7
Iowa 6
MSU 6
Northwestern 4
Wisconsin 4
Minnesota 4
Maryland 3
Purdue 2
I expect Maryland and Wisconsin to finish higher. So, that puts us at 7th. Maybe even 8th is Indiana's new coach gets them in line quickly enough. They have a lot of talent on that roster.

True, guards do not look like lock down defenders. But the size and length we have at the rim will limit penetration. Opponents will have to settle for jumpers.

I see top 5 finish. But that isn't my main concern. NCAA tourney is the big picture. With the horrendous non-con schedule, there is no room for error. I just hope we can get a good match up in the Caymans. Like Cincinatti, who we need to beat. Then beat Va Tech in B1G/ACC challenge. Steam roll Chicago St and the rest of the cupcakes on our schedule and we'll be dancin'!

Latest posts