Hawkeyes No. 19 in AP, No. 21 Coaches this Week

I knew I'd get a response out of that.

In a perfect world all teams should respond. But, the difference is Tom Izzo to be specific to my original point about not wanting to play Mich St. after a loss.

I guess that's what I don't understand. Tom Izzo is tougher on his team after a loss (and makes them play better) compared to other teams? I don't think that is the case. Sorry.

John Beilein is one of the most respected coaches in America. I think all good (if not great) coaches have the drive to win every game, even if they won they game before. It's really that simple. It doesn't change from game to game depending on the result of the previous game.

I guess that's what I don't understand. Tom Izzo is tougher on his team after a loss (and makes them play better) compared to other teams? I don't think that is the case. Sorry.

John Beilein is one of the most respected coaches in America. I think all good (if not great) coaches have the drive to win every game, even if they won they game before. It's really that simple. It doesn't change from game to game depending on the result of the previous game.

I'm not talking about John Beilein and Michigan, Kansas or Bill Self, Mike Kryscheskisiksikidiki and Duke. My original post was pertaining to Michigan St. and Tom Izzo from knowing how his teams responds over the years after certain losses, especially after a nice run of wins. That's it. I'm really not sure how this turned into a Mountain.

All I am saying that if they would have lost to Maryland prior to Iowa, they would be coming into Carver unbelievably focused and on a mission. Very rarely does Izzo's teams drop two in a row.

I'm not talking about John Beilein and Michigan, Kansas or Bill Self, Mike Kryscheskisiksikidiki and Duke. My original post was pertaining to Michigan St. and Tom Izzo from knowing how his teams responds over the years after certain losses, especially after a nice run of wins. That's it. I'm really not sure how this turned into a Mountain.

All I am saying that if they would have lost to Maryland prior to Iowa, they would be coming into Carver unbelievably focused and on a mission. Very rarely does Izzo's teams drop two in a row.

And all I am saying, is they very rarely lose two in a row because they are very good, most of the time. It doesn't have anything to do with whether they prepared more/better or are more focused after a loss or a win. They prepare Izzo's plan no matter what happened the previous game.

I respect what you are saying, but I don't agree with it. I believe it's a narrative that is used by observers to try and explain something that really isn't there. Sorry.

It's the basis of analytical thought. I know this will seem like I am changing the subject again, but many folks here thought Iowa had good offensive numbers last year because they were behind in so many games that teams didn't try as hard and Iowa's numbers inflated. Well, Iowa is second in the Big 10 in scoring this year and has more wins than last year already (5>4). So, where is that narrative now? Or, was Iowa also good at offense last year, but just really terrible at defense (and improved this year). That's the way I see it.

Kansas has won the Big 12 umpteen times in a row. The common link is Bill Self. He just wants to keep winning, at all costs (as we have seen in the news). :)
And I would argue Bill Self almost always...if not always...has the best players. I don't believe for a second that Bill Self wants to win more than every other coach in that conference. But I most definitely believe that Bill Self has better players than pretty much every team in the conference year in and year out.

And that superior talent will almost always prevail over the course of a long conference season. But in a short window...like the conference tournament...other teams can get hot and knock Kansas off on a given night which is why they don't win the conference tournament every year despite winning the regular season.

For the most part I agree with PC's arguments throughout the exchange between the two of you.

And all I am saying, is they very rarely lose two in a row because they are very good, most of the time. It doesn't have anything to do with whether they prepared more/better or are more focused after a loss or a win. They prepare Izzo's plan no matter what happened the previous game.

I respect what you are saying, but I don't agree with it. I believe it's a narrative that is used by observers to try and explain something that really isn't there. Sorry.

It's the basis of analytical thought. I know this will seem like I am changing the subject again, but many folks here thought Iowa had good offensive numbers last year because they were behind in so many games that teams didn't try as hard and Iowa's numbers inflated. Well, Iowa is second in the Big 10 in scoring this year and has more wins than last year already (5>4). So, where is that narrative now? Or, was Iowa also good at offense last year, but just really terrible at defense (and improved this year). That's the way I see it.

I'm done.

And I would argue Bill Self almost always...if not always...has the best players. I don't believe for a second that Bill Self wants to win more than every other coach in that conference. But I most definitely believe that Bill Self has better players than pretty much every team in the conference year in and year out.

And that superior talent will almost always prevail over the course of a long conference season. But in a short window...like the conference tournament...other teams can get hot and knock Kansas off on a given night which is why they don't win the conference tournament every year despite winning the regular season.

For the most part I agree with PC's arguments throughout the exchange between the two of you.

That's fine. I don't mind hearing that you agree with PC. :)

I won't go through and respond post by post. I will say I disagree with the general argument you are making throughout. I think it is totally flawed. Just my opinion and no reason to go back and forth on it. Because I know you firmly believe what you are saying is 100% accurate.

I won't go through and respond post by post. I will say I disagree with the general argument you are making throughout. I think it is totally flawed. Just my opinion and no reason to go back and forth on it. Because I know you firmly believe what you are saying is 100% accurate.

No worries. I don't understand the flaw, but I respect your opinion. :)

I would be just as pleased if they beat the Rockets at Houston while holding James Harden scoreless.....

View attachment 4890

:cool:

It would be quite difficult to hold James Harden scoreless FashionWise

GQ-nba-style-James-Harden.jpg

:cool:

If you dont believe in a team being complacent against bad teams, you must also not believe a team can get "up" when playing a highly ranked team. I just don't buy that at all.

I'm a big believer that we were not as good on offense as our stats reflected last year. Largely in part of other teams not taking us seriously. I dont believe for a second that teams give 100% effort when up 20 points or more. I don't believe for a second that teams give 100% effort on defense when playing bottom dwellers who suck bad on defense themselves so they know they can score at will. That's not to say I think we sucked on offense. I just don't think we were near as good as our stats suggested.

This year we are way better on offense. I think Cook is noticeably better. I think Garza is noticeably better. I think Wieskamp is a stud. I think Connor makes a huge difference. Baer is shooting good again. I think we are even better the last 10 games or so with Moss being more consistent.

Given all that, if this team could magically show up to each and every game last year and play against the teams that showed up thinking they can coast and roll us, we would be ranked number 1 in the nation right now in offensive efficiency. We would look even better than we do now.

I'm a big believer that we were not as good on offense as our stats reflected last year. Largely in part of other teams not taking us seriously. I dont believe for a second that teams give 100% effort when up 20 points or more. I don't believe for a second that teams give 100% effort on defense when playing bottom dwellers who suck bad on defense themselves so they know they can score at will. That's not to say I think we sucked on offense. I just don't think we were near as good as our stats suggested.

This year we are way better on offense. I think Cook is noticeably better. I think Garza is noticeably better. I think Wieskamp is a stud. I think Connor makes a huge difference. Baer is shooting good again. I think we are even better the last 10 games or so with Moss being more consistent.

Given all that, if this team could magically show up to each and every game last year and play against the teams that showed up thinking they can coast and roll us, we would be ranked number 1 in the nation right now in offensive efficiency. We would look even better than we do now.

Iowa scores the quietest 85-90 pts it seems. You kind of watch the game and watch them keep slugging away, then all of a sudden you look up with 3 minutes left and they have 85 pts. Jo Bo also has quiet points, IMO. He plays withing the offense then during the game is announced he has 13 pts. It's like, where did that come from.