Hawkeyes Looking to Rebound Against Indiana

Fran says they worked on rebounding this past week and defense. That's a good thing. That being said, this is the Big Ten and you better have the personel that can be better at it than what the opponent puts out on the court. Against Indiana we will struggle to keep TJ Davis from destroying us in the paint. When Rebraca goes out we become limited to what we can do in the lane. I'm not feeling good about this one.

Fran's excuse at lousy rebounding is lame. Damn weak excuse. Every team goes up against 3 pt shooting teams. Are you telling me that only Iowa is getting loooong rebounds against them and only teams with bad rebounding numbers are dealing with that issue. Indiana, Michigan St. and Wisconsin aren't playing teams that shoot 3 pt balls that rebound long when missed? Krist!

It's an equivalent to an excuse like a football team saying they lost because they had to play in inclement weather. Uh, didn't both teams play in said crappy conditions? Fess up and admit you've been laying a duece on this aspect of the game. F me anyway!

This is exactly why Iowa is never going to dig out of this rebounding hole. It's a mindset, a cultural change and it starts from the top. When the top guy is making lame FUCKING excuses, it's not going to improve peoples.

Fucking kidding me Fran?

I'm fired........I'm tellin ya! I'm fired. That triggered me.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Year Nat. Rank
2021 149
2020 81
2019 110
2018 144
2017 35 WFT!
2016 175
2015 141

Last edited:
Captain Obvious reason Iowa struggles rebounding. When you are out of position defensively you will also be out of position to rebound. Iowa constantly has 2 guys running at 1 which leaves someone being not blocked out. They are also constantly scrambling on defense since they cant keep anyone in front of them. I don't know why Iowa doesn't adapt the packline m2m defense. It is great when you are out athleted. I dont think Iowa has any defensive identity. Are they a pressing team? Pressure m2m? Zone? Iowa plays alot of different defenses average or below average. Find your identity and stick to it.

Captain obvious here but if they keep playing JBo and JT together a lot they are basically rebounding 3 on 5... It's tough playing small ball it just is. And JBo leaks out a lot to go to the other end I don't think he really tries all that hard to defensive rebound..

Captain Obvious reason Iowa struggles rebounding. When you are out of position defensively you will also be out of position to rebound. Iowa constantly has 2 guys running at 1 which leaves someone being not blocked out. They are also constantly scrambling on defense since they cant keep anyone in front of them. I don't know why Iowa doesn't adapt the packline m2m defense. It is great when you are out athleted. I dont think Iowa has any defensive identity. Are they a pressing team? Pressure m2m? Zone? Iowa plays alot of different defenses average or below average. Find your identity and stick to it.
Well, two other reasons do contribute to bad rebounding. 1) They send guys after a shot up coart to try to get fast break points. 2) They do play some zone for many minutes a game which is recognized to contribute to poor rebounding. I don't totally buy this as a team just need to learn rebounding techniques when playing a zone D. But, it always has been said that zone teams won't rebound as well. I think it still comes down to technique/coaching and effort issue.

I don't mind the switching up of defenses and Iowa has proven to be successful with the 1/2 or 3/4 quarter press and turning teams over. I like switching it up to keep the opposing team's offense off balance a bit. Also, often the press is done merely to make a team get deeper in the shot clock to have as much time to set up more than keying on turning a team over. This is often the strategy with the shot clock. With that, sometimes turning a team over is a bonus if it happens.

Remember Tom Davis's teams that ran the full-court trapping presses. Those aren't ran all that much anymore unless at the end of the game or in desperation mode. Those were fun to watch. Wish teams would do that a bit more, but, you are giving the the other team chance at a fast break. It's a gamble. Bob Huggins is a dying breed of coach that actually kind of still runs that.

Last edited:
I'm fired........I'm tellin ya! I'm fired. That triggered me.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Year Nat. Rank
2021 149
2020 81
2019 110
2018 144
2017 35 WFT!
2016 175
2015 141
Pretty bad. Hey Fran, those less athletic skinny wing players workin' out for Ya??

2017 was a different story with Tyler Cook, Garza, Baer, and Pemsl. Wagner was a decent body as well that grabbed a few.

Hey Fran look at 2017 and the bodies and see what happened and the big effort of Baer. With some B1G bodies and some effort in the case of Baer and look what you can do.

Fran is not a guy that can schedule cupcakes for. He realizes too late(game 15?) that you need to rebound better or play halfcourt D. Digs them into a hole in conference. Scheduler needs to give Fran an effin' gauntlet so he can do this shit earlier and he will either sink or float. At least then he won't have the cheap 20 win thing and they will be forced to get rid of him. I guess he thinks they can just do the same things against Indiana and Illinois that they do against Longwood and W. Ill.

Last edited:
Pretty bad. Hey Fran, those less athletic skinny wing players workin' out for Ya??

2017 was a different story with Tyler Cook, Garza, Baer, and Pemsl. Wagner was a decent body as well that grabbed a few.

Hey Fran look at 2017 and the bodies and see what happened and the big effort of Baer. With some B1G bodies and some effort in the case of Baer and look what you can do.

Fran is not a guy that can schedule cupcakes for. He realizes too late(game 15?) that you need to rebound better or play halfcourt D. Digs them into a hole in conference. Scheduler needs to give Fran an effin' gauntlet so he can do this shit earlier and he will either sink or float. At least then he won't have the cheap 20 win thing and they will be forced to get rid of him. I guess he thinks they can just do the same things against Indiana and Illinois that they do against Longwood and W. Ill.
I believe 6'11" Nunge was on the team too.

Captain obvious here but if they keep playing JBo and JT together a lot they are basically rebounding 3 on 5... It's tough playing small ball it just is. And JBo leaks out a lot to go to the other end I don't think he really tries all that hard to defensive rebound..
He is coached to do what he does.