Hawkeyes Hoping Improved Play Continues Against Colorado

Last nights Iowa team looked more like what I thought they would coming into this season. We have always needed to be a team that plays a majority of zone, we simply don't have either the guards to stay in front of other guards, or good post defender who can help if the guards get beat. That equals play a zone.

The frustrating thing is this shows we can beat teams that have a clear advantage in the guard court. It isn't like I felt we would dominate other teams guards. What we did last year, and vs Colorado is play more to our strengths (zone D), let their guards get theirs and then just win the game. We dominated the glass, we got 26 pts from our big men, we shot 49% from the floor (while shooting 20% from 3).

If we are going to start beating actual good team, we have to cut down on our turnovers. 19 vs Colorado is inexcusable, and most of them are just dumb, dumb turnovers. I mean Conner getting the ball just taken out of his hands? Jordan throwing the ball to the opponent, and then slumping over, instead of hustling back down the court? Cook is a TO machine, Moss isn't far behind him. I mean we won't beat decent teams with sloppy, sloppy play like that.

Overall I think the team is playing much better. Cut the TO down, and we could be pretty decent really, more like I felt we would be coming into the year anyway.

Last nights Iowa team looked more like what I thought they would coming into this season. We have always needed to be a team that plays a majority of zone, we simply don't have either the guards to stay in front of other guards, or good post defender who can help if the guards get beat. That equals play a zone.

The frustrating thing is this shows we can beat teams that have a clear advantage in the guard court. It isn't like I felt we would dominate other teams guards. What we did last year, and vs Colorado is play more to our strengths (zone D), let their guards get theirs and then just win the game. We dominated the glass, we got 26 pts from our big men, we shot 49% from the floor (while shooting 20% from 3).

If we are going to start beating actual good team, we have to cut down on our turnovers. 19 vs Colorado is inexcusable, and most of them are just dumb, dumb turnovers. I mean Conner getting the ball just taken out of his hands? Jordan throwing the ball to the opponent, and then slumping over, instead of hustling back down the court? Cook is a TO machine, Moss isn't far behind him. I mean we won't beat decent teams with sloppy, sloppy play like that.

Overall I think the team is playing much better. Cut the TO down, and we could be pretty decent really, more like I felt we would be coming into the year anyway.
Colorado is NOT a good basketball team. I wouldn't get too excited about that win. They were undisciplined and discombobulated on offense. And it had nothing to do with a zone defense.
The first 7 minutes of the game was what I expected to see out of our team, this year. On a more consistent basis. They played really well in that span.

Had a very tough time watching the game last night. The lack of fundamentals and really sloppy passing made me sick to my stomach and couldn't finish the game. When I checked the score I was very surprised we won. I have not watched a lot of BB this year so don't know if that performance was indicative of the season but from what I saw the combination of sloppy passing, bad half court offense, and lack of defense at times I will not be watching many games.

Colorado is NOT a good basketball team. I wouldn't get too excited about that win. They were undisciplined and discombobulated on offense. And it had nothing to do with a zone defense.
The first 7 minutes of the game was what I expected to see out of our team, this year. On a more consistent basis. They played really well in that span.

I'm not super excited about this Iowa team. I'm just saying they did some things better for the most part. If we would have played like that vs Louisiana, SDSU, and Penn St we would have 3 more wins.

I'm not super excited about this Iowa team. I'm just saying they did some things better for the most part. If we would have played like that vs Louisiana, SDSU, and Penn St we would have 3 more wins.
We can win when any team shoots 6 of 23 from 3pt range, against our zone defense.

Latest posts