Hawkeyes get commitments from two Detroit DE's.

that's exactly what this DL has been missing - athletic, quick guys on the ends. looks like big pick up on paper - hope they stick!

Dang... If they are all that I'd love to see how they do this year as a defense... Having bookend stud DEs in hs should just cause all kinds of havoc against offenses.

that's exactly what this DL has been missing - athletic, quick guys on the ends. looks like big pick up on paper - hope they stick!

Drew Ott is plenty athletic.............not sure why we're throwing
Drew under bus, here.

??? He'll be an All Big Ten guy, this year.
Next year, Hawkeye fans can watch Drew play on Sundays.

out

Drew Ott is plenty athletic.............not sure why we're throwing
Drew under bus, here.

??? He'll be an All Big Ten guy, this year.
Next year, Hawkeye fans can watch Drew play on Sundays.

out

i'm not throwing anyone under the bus - but if you have been paying any attention to iowa football since clayborn, we've lacked significantly on the DL, as a whole, especially on the ends. we need some difference makers - maybe these guys can help in a few years.

i'm not throwing anyone under the bus - but if you have been paying any attention to iowa football since clayborn, we've lacked significantly on the DL, as a whole, especially on the ends. we need some difference makers - maybe these guys can help in a few years.

This. Iowa has had good not great talent on the DL and if Iowa wants its secondary to make plays they need some great players on the DL.

AC made his secondary look awesome. Sash was great but he owes a lot of his INTs to AC.

This. Iowa has had good not great talent on the DL and if Iowa wants its secondary to make plays they need some great players on the DL.

AC made his secondary look awesome. Sash was great but he owes a lot of his INTs to AC.

everything in football starts with the OL and DL. I don't care how good your secondary is, if you can't put pressure on the QB, offense will beat defense. all day, every day.

Here comes Harbaugh and he smells fresh meat
Well, it's time to be dickish right back at him if it happens. The days of being the nice, reasonable stooge must be over. Don't take it out on the kids by pulling their offers (you can't blame a high school kid being charmed by another school, especially a major program), but send a shot back to anyone who is meddling in Iowa's commitment pool that it will not longer be tolerated.

Well, it's time to be dickish right back at him if it happens. The days of being the nice, reasonable stooge must be over. Don't take it out on the kids by pulling their offers (you can't blame a high school kid being charmed by another school, especially a major program), but send a shot back to anyone who is meddling in Iowa's commitment pool that it will not longer be tolerated.

Why would Harbaugh or D'Antonio go after these guys when one of them didn't have any other offers and the other only had MAC-level offers? I'd think both of those guys would pass on these guys, and it's up to Kirk and co. to develop them beyond their perceived talent level-nothing new there for Kirk.

Plus what could we do to stop Jimmy Harbaugh if he does dip into our recruitment pool? It's not illegal and most coaches do it to programs at their level or lower anyway.

Why would Harbaugh or D'Antonio go after these guys when one of them didn't have any other offers and the other only had MAC-level offers? I'd think both of those guys would pass on these guys, and it's up to Kirk and co. to develop them beyond their perceived talent level-nothing new there for Kirk.
You're looking at these kids as they are now, with little fanfare and not much, if any, interest. However, it's not uncommon for a kid to really develop and have a big senior year, at which point someone like Harbaugh will move in quickly and try to poach a kid away. Who knows if these two will turn into these types by next fall, but, if it happens, and it does happen, Ferentz needs to spit back at these coaches. That's all.

You're looking at these kids as they are now, with little fanfare and not much, if any, interest. However, it's not uncommon for a kid to really develop and have a big senior year, at which point someone like Harbaugh will move in quickly and try to poach a kid away. Who knows if these two will turn into these types by next fall, but, if it happens, and it does happen, Ferentz needs to spit back at these coaches. That's all.

Good point, but more time than not guys don't go from receiving no other offers or receiving only MAC level offers to being recruits a Harbaugh-type coach would offer.

And Ferentz could spit back but those guys would probably just laugh at him. I didn't see Kirk spitting at Saban when he poached Piersbacher from him.

How many offers did Higdon have when he committed to us? Months later, Harbaugh moved in and stole him away. I honestly don't know...was Higdon a MAC level recruit at the time he committed then waited for bigger offers, or did we outrecruit some big names for him only to lose him later.

The good news on MSU not plucking one or both later is a significant reason why UM grabbed Higdon is that Harbaugh was just starting his recruiting at UM and his plan A RB guys fell through. MSU might be having it's best recruiting year in many years. Both of them are likely to have their DE scholarships filled by late fall. They could be taken by other "brand name" program but that's just the nature of the beast. Best thing the Hawkeyes can do for recruiting is have a strong season on the field. Then it's going to be harder to pull recruits off our commitment list.

Latest posts