Hawkeyes 53 Man Roster Outlook

Does anyone know when the first wave of NFL cuts begin? Is after the second or third exhibition game or does it depend on the team?

I have to believe some teams will be cutting early next week.

Does anyone know when the first wave of NFL cuts begin? Is after the second or third exhibition game or does it depend on the team?

I have to believe some teams will be cutting early next week.

In the past there was a cut date to get from 90 to 75 in the middle of the preseason but I believe the NFL owners changed the rules so there is only 1 cut deadline. All teams need to be at 53 players by September 1st.

Actually i felt that Neimann was a for sure cut. Not that he's not talented, I just think he'll get cut and probably latch on practice squad with someone else.

The Chiefs are deep as hell at ILB. Ragland, Hitchens, and Eligwe are all on multi-year big money deals, Smith just signed a new deal two months ago and played a bunch of special teams last year, and O'Daniel was a third rounder. Those guys are locks and there are still 3 other free agents to fight it out with. Pretty tough in my opinion.

Neimann has been solid in preseason play. There is a lot of competition at LB in KC but since they play 4 they need about 7 or 8 on roster. I think Neimann has impressed enough to make it.

Neimann has been solid in preseason play. There is a lot of competition at LB in KC but since they play 4 they need about 7 or 8 on roster. I think Neimann has impressed enough to make it.
I hope you’re right.

Packers sign LeShun Daniels. Not sure the Packers' need at the position, but nice to see him sign on with someone.
I'm happy for him, but I wouldn't read too much into it. The Packers have several injuries at RB, and signed two street FAs in the last week, including LeShun, primarily as camp bodies (that's in addition to another they signed earlier).

If he has a solid showing, I could see the Packers potentially signing him to the practice squad, though. You never know.

I'm happy for him, but I wouldn't read too much into it. The Packers have several injuries at RB, and signed two street FAs in the last week, including LeShun, primarily as camp bodies (that's in addition to another they signed earlier).

If he has a solid showing, I could see the Packers potentially signing him to the practice squad, though. You never know.
Gotcha. Really didn't know much about the situation, other than the fact that he signed with them. Thanks for the info.

I saw that, but it didn't dawn on me until about a day later that his brother is on the Bears. That would make an interesting story if he could manage to stick.

Bazata got one tackle vs. the Titans last weekend, and it was a solo stop of Wadley. Hawk-on-Hawk violence.

By the way, things not looking good for Wadley after the last game. He did fine, but the other 2 backs he is competing against got in much sooner, and got many more touches.

The Packers' running backs don't set the world on fire. You never know.

Bazata got one tackle vs. the Titans last weekend, and it was a solo stop of Wadley. Hawk-on-Hawk violence.

By the way, things not looking good for Wadley after the last game. He did fine, but the other 2 backs he is competing against got in much sooner, and got many more touches.
I'm pretty sure he'll get cut, and when he does the best thing he could do for himself is go straight to the CFL. You couldn't ask for a more prototypical Canadian rules RB than Wadley. With the wider field and passing-oriented offenses it fits his game to a T. Power backs are almost non existent in the CFL and with only three downs teams need guys to average 5-6 yds/carry per touch.

He could carve out a good living for himself making $150-200K a year which is more than he'll make bouncing around NFL practice squads for two or three years. If he could be smart and live frugally on that kind of salary for say seven or eight years, he'd be ahead of the game when it was time to retire and rotate back to the civilian world.

The Packers' running backs don't set the world on fire. You never know.
No doubt. I will say that their three young new guys - Williams, Jones and Mays - have all been more talented than I thought they would be, when given opportunities. If he can get his head on straight, Jones probably has the most potential of the group.

Not sure what to make of Montgomery - not really a RB, not really a WR.

James Daniels, OL, second round: Daniels has a chance to be an impact player for a Bears offensive line that is trying to find more consistency. The question is whether he will get a chance to start right away. Saturday's game will allow Daniels to put some more work on tape for the coaches to see.

Josh Jackson
, CB, second round
: After a slow start that was marked by penalties in practice, Jackson improved to the point where he could push Alexander for time in the slot or play outside. His pick-6 against the Steelers last week showed the kind of athleticism that had some convinced he could be a first-round pick.

Josey Jewell, LB, fourth round: Jewell got off to a bit of a slow start in camp after he injured a hamstring just after rookies reported. But he’s worked his way back and quickly shown his instincts, and it will be difficult to keep him out of their defensive lineup for very long. He’s simply always around the ball when he plays.

Latest posts