Hawkeyes 53 Man Roster Outlook

Fryowa

Administrator
The past few days I've been cruising NFL team sites and checking out the 53 man roster predictions for each Hawkeye player currently signed. That list of current players is located here.

Below is what the consensus is for which players will make the 53 man roster on their respective teams, and below that are players expected to be cut, signed to practice squads, or put on PUP like Bulaga.

53 Man Roster Players:
CJ Beathard
Austin Blythe
Adrian Clayborn
Mike Daniels
James Daniels
Carl Davis
Andrew Donnal
Anthony Hitchens
Micah Hyde
Josh Jackson
Josey Jewell
Jaleel Johnson
Desmond King
Christian Kirksey
George Kittle
Casey Kreiter
Riley Reiff
Brandon Scherff
Marshal Yanda

Players Projected To Be Cut/PS:
Ike Boettger
Bo Bower
Bryan Bulaga
James Butler
Cole Croston
LeShun Daniels, Jr.
James Ferentz
Adam Gettis
Marshall Koehn
Henry Krieger-Coble
Greg Mabin
Riley McCarron
Ben Niemann
Tevaun Smith
Matt Tobin
Akrum Wadley

These are not my predictions. I know not everyone is going to agree with all of these either and we all want every Hawkeye player to make cuts, but they are the general consensus on most NFL team sites. I've heard several times on the board that Mabin will make it, and the Patriots sites have Croston listed as a strong bubble. In any case, I thought it'd make for some interesting banter; what are your thoughts???

The past few days I've been cruising NFL team sites and checking out the 53 man roster predictions for each Hawkeye player currently signed. That list of current players is located here.

Below is what the consensus is for which players will make the 53 man roster on their respective teams, and below that are players expected to be cut, signed to practice squads, or put on PUP like Bulaga.

53 Man Roster Players:
CJ Beathard
Austin Blythe
Adrian Clayborn
Mike Daniels
James Daniels
Carl Davis
Andrew Donnal
Anthony Hitchens
Micah Hyde
Josh Jackson
Josey Jewell
Jaleel Johnson
Desmond King
Christian Kirksey
George Kittle
Casey Kreiter
Riley Reiff
Brandon Scherff
Marshal Yanda

Players Projected To Be Cut/PS:
Ike Boettger
Bo Bower
Bryan Bulaga
James Butler
Cole Croston
LeShun Daniels, Jr.
James Ferentz
Adam Gettis
Marshall Koehn
Henry Krieger-Coble
Greg Mabin
Riley McCarron
Ben Niemann
Tevaun Smith
Matt Tobin
Akrum Wadley

These are not my predictions. I know not everyone is going to agree with all of these either and we all want every Hawkeye player to make cuts, but they are the general consensus on most NFL team sites. I've heard several times on the board that Mabin will make it, and the Patriots sites have Croston listed as a strong bubble. In any case, I thought it'd make for some interesting banter; what are your thoughts???

Great work on this. One name you might want to add is Bazata, I just saw a tweet yesterday that the Bucs signed him.

I think the 2 on the Cut/PS list that surprised me the most were Wadley and Niemann. I hadn't been following along at all, but those 2 just struck me as NFL guys. We will see.

Another thing that struck me when I saw Bazata signed yesterday is how some of these guys are valued much more highly by the NFL than by our own fan-base. Many claimed that Mabin (as a 5th year senior) should have been benched for freshman Rugumba, Bower has been a constant whipping boy over the past 4 years (except 2015 when Fischer replaced him), and some (okay, mostly just Josh Brown) claimed that Bazata was playing ahead of a vastly superior Ekakattie (sp?). Now, perhaps none of these guys makes a 53 man roster, but they are all good enough to be in a camp and practice among the best of the best.

I think Wadley is in a pretty good spot to be the 3rd or 4th Rb in TN if they carry 4 of them.
Mabin was on the 9ers roster at the end of the last yr and has a fighting chance at sticking. Some of the other corners they have aren't exactly the greatest.
McCarron I've heard is the next Edelman up in NE (for whatever that's worth)
LeShun Daniels JR might have a shot at sticking too wasn't he getting some carries at the end of last yr for the Redskins too?
Beyond them I just haven't heard much yet.

Great work on this. One name you might want to add is Bazata, I just saw a tweet yesterday that the Bucs signed him.

I think the 2 on the Cut/PS list that surprised me the most were Wadley and Niemann. I hadn't been following along at all, but those 2 just struck me as NFL guys. We will see.

Another thing that struck me when I saw Bazata signed yesterday is how some of these guys are valued much more highly by the NFL than by our own fan-base. Many claimed that Mabin (as a 5th year senior) should have been benched for freshman Rugumba, Bower has been a constant whipping boy over the past 4 years (except 2015 when Fischer replaced him), and some (okay, mostly just Josh Brown) claimed that Bazata was playing ahead of a vastly superior Ekakattie (sp?). Now, perhaps none of these guys makes a 53 man roster, but they are all good enough to be in a camp and practice among the best of the best.
Had not heard about Bazata, thanks for that. I'd add him but I think it'd be unfair to stick him on the cut list without having read anything from media yet.

I will fully admit that I was in the bench Mabin camp. Bower I always liked, and I think had he been in a unit not next to Josey Jewell and Ben Niemann he'd have gotten a lot more props.

One "cut list" guy I really hope makes it is Boettger. He has the size and hands to be really, really good, and he was on his way to being drafted early had he not gotten hurt. That achilles was a huge setback to his career. I hope he breaks through.

From what I have read, Bulaga's recovery from ACL surgery is going quite well and he is cleared to start practicing. Would not be surprised to see him stick with the Packers. If not, there will be other teams looking for his services later in the year but probably at a reduced salary.

From what I have read, Bulaga's recovery from ACL surgery is going quite well and he is cleared to start practicing. Would not be surprised to see him stick with the Packers. If not, there will be other teams looking for his services later in the year but probably at a reduced salary.
He’s got to be towards the twilight of his career. O-lineman take a ridiculous beating. Adam Timmerman’s aunt is an acquaintance and she says even all these years later the guy can barely move in the morning until he’s had time in the hot tub.

He’s got to be towards the twilight of his career. O-lineman take a ridiculous beating. Adam Timmerman’s aunt is an acquaintance and she says even all these years later the guy can barely move in the morning until he’s had time in the hot tub.
No doubt. He is already 29 so even if he can get healthy may only have another couple years. NFL = Not for Long.

I'd be very surprised if Niemann was cut. He's getting rave reviews from the Chiefs staff and even taking first-team reps.
Actually i felt that Neimann was a for sure cut. Not that he's not talented, I just think he'll get cut and probably latch on practice squad with someone else.

The Chiefs are deep as hell at ILB. Ragland, Hitchens, and Eligwe are all on multi-year big money deals, Smith just signed a new deal two months ago and played a bunch of special teams last year, and O'Daniel was a third rounder. Those guys are locks and there are still 3 other free agents to fight it out with. Pretty tough in my opinion.

Last edited:
Nice he's from Cherokee where I used to run around a lot. I know right where his farm is off of Hwy 59. He and his brother run it now that their Dad passed a few yrs back. As a 49er fan I used to hate how good Timmerman was... He had some good battles with Bryant Young and Dana Stubblefield back in the day.

From the cut list, I think the following will make it:
Mabin, McCarron, Wadley (already 3rd in Tenn.), Niemann, Bulaga and Croston.

The X factor as always is going to be injuries. The Vikings just lost a lineman and there is a lot of preseason left. If many of the "cut/PS" players stay healthy the chances of sticking go up a lot. Just due to the fact that offensive lineman are a premium I think a lot of practice squad lineman will be signed and who knows from there.

Biggest surprise to me is Wadley and I read a prediction that McCarron would stay with NE

Bulaga is back to practicing and was taken of the PUP list Friday.

There's almost a zero chance he is cut by the Packers, but, if he keeps getting injured, I could see the Packers parting ways with him after this season. He's a proud guy and refused a pay cut several months ago, but he'll lose a lot of leverage if he sustains another injury, especially something chronic.

The saving grace right now, though, is that the Packers back-up tackles suck.

Some highlights from Wadley tonight. Good catch, fumble (not shown), good kick return.

Actually i felt that Neimann was a for sure cut. Not that he's not talented, I just think he'll get cut and probably latch on practice squad with someone else.

The Chiefs are deep as hell at ILB. Ragland, Hitchens, and Eligwe are all on multi-year big money deals, Smith just signed a new deal two months ago and played a bunch of special teams last year, and O'Daniel was a third rounder. Those guys are locks and there are still 3 other free agents to fight it out with. Pretty tough in my opinion.

Good showing here tonight ...

Latest posts