HawkeyeNation 2012 Iowa Football Game By Game Prediction

I agree with the 8-4 but I honestly don't think we will allow that many points to the likes of UNI and Northern Illinois. I think our defense will be better than expected.

I hope you are correct, but if the Iowa defense allows nearly 27 points per game, 8 wins won't happen. Opposing teams aren't going to respect the Iowa running game, and they will really go after the QB. I hope the O-line can protect Vandy, and I also hope the running game is serviceable with minimal turnovers.

I have them allowing just under 24 per game. Where do you get nearly 27?

Jon I know you think the Hawk's D line will be dreadful, but the back 7 should be pretty stout. I think the D overall will be much better than you are predicting. I guess we will have to just see who is right, but I am surprised by how bad you think they will be.

People how does Indiana scare you? They are horrible. If anything they'll give us a close game, but not a loss. If anything we lose to NW. I realistically, with this schedule see 9-3, and a loss in our bowl.

I don't think we win first five but I think we beat Indy. 8-4 or 7-5. Gator or BWW bowl. I'm not confident enough to get Florida plane tickets yet though. If Canzeri could play this year I might be on delta.com already. Lol.

Why do you think we'd lose the bowl? You have no idea who we'd play...

There is reason to believe Iowa would lose a bowl game this year. The Hawks could potentially be slotted up two bowls since OSU and PSU and ineligible. This would mean that Iowa would be playing someone they might not have any business playing. I don't know if Berg considered that, but if you're ever going to predict Iowa to lose their bowl game before the season, this would be the year.

There is reason to believe Iowa would lose a bowl game this year. The Hawks could potentially be slotted up two bowls since OSU and PSU and ineligible. This would mean that Iowa would be playing someone they might not have any business playing. I don't know if Berg considered that, but if you're ever going to predict Iowa to lose their bowl game before the season, this would be the year.

I see what you're saying, but you're making that prediction without even knowing who they would play and without even seeing the product the Hawks put on the field this year.... kinda pointless. At least the preseason predictions for the regular season are based off of knowing who they are being matched up against. Even regular season predictions like Jon's don't really serve any purpose other than provide reading material to get us by the next week and a half. Wasn't too long ago he predicted an undefeated season so I wouldn't take things to seriously. I'm not giving you crap about that Jon, just making a point. The Hawkeyes are traditionally an incredibly difficult team to predict. It doesn't matter how long you've watched them or how much football knowledge you have. It's best to practice patience and see how the team plays together before digging too deep. Just look at this year for example... I wouldn't be incredibly surprised to see them win 10 games, and I wouldn't be incredibly surprised to see them win 6. Their margin for error is generally razor thin.

So we don't think Iowa will beat any of the three good teams on it's schedule. (here we come 0-3 to Nebraska!). They also could easily lose to Iowa State and Northwestern (and Purdue). In reality, this team at this time looks like it could finish with a 500 record (worse if there are significant injuries).

This season is the toughest year in the last 5 to gauge. I feel 9-3 is possible and 8-4 should be the floor if Iowa avoids key injuries. JVB must stay upright for this team to meet or exceed 7-5, but I feel the defense has the opportunity to grow throughout the season.
I feel confident that Iowa is going to struggle less with lesser talented teams like Indiana and Minnesota given the change from KOK to Davis and feel given the inexperience of the defense think Iowa may go into this season looking to pile up points to protect the defense late in games.

If Iowa has an injury run at a specific position (like linebacker in 2010) all bets are off. But I feel like this team will grow throughout the year and the schedule is charmin soft.

I also predict losing a bowl game if we go 9 and 3. there is a good chance we will be the worst 9 and 3 team in the county. if we go 6 and 6 I predict a bowl win.

I see what you're saying, but you're making that prediction without even knowing who they would play and without even seeing the product the Hawks put on the field this year.... kinda pointless. At least the preseason predictions for the regular season are based off of knowing who they are being matched up against. Even regular season predictions like Jon's don't really serve any purpose other than provide reading material to get us by the next week and a half. Wasn't too long ago he predicted an undefeated season so I wouldn't take things to seriously. I'm not giving you crap about that Jon, just making a point. The Hawkeyes are traditionally an incredibly difficult team to predict. It doesn't matter how long you've watched them or how much football knowledge you have. It's best to practice patience and see how the team plays together before digging too deep. Just look at this year for example... I wouldn't be incredibly surprised to see them win 10 games, and I wouldn't be incredibly surprised to see them win 6. Their margin for error is generally razor thin.

I didn't make the prediction, and never said I thought Iowa would lose it's bowl game. I was explaining a reason as to why Berg may have made that prediction. You can't argue that if someone were to ever predict Iowa to lose their bowl game before the season, this would be the best year to do it, for reasons previously stated.

No, we don't know who they will play, or if Iowa will even make a bowl game. All we know is that Iowa will likely be slotted higher this year than other years with identical credentials. It doesn't take a giant leap from there to assume they would also be playing a better team in the Cap One bowl than, for example, the Gator Bowl. Hence, a greater chance for loss.

There is no way Iowa gives up 24 points to UNI. Also are lot more games to worry about than Indiana.

I didn't make the prediction, and never said I thought Iowa would lose it's bowl game. I was explaining a reason as to why Berg may have made that prediction. You can't argue that if someone were to ever predict Iowa to lose their bowl game before the season, this would be the best year to do it, for reasons previously stated.

No, we don't know who they will play, or if Iowa will even make a bowl game. All we know is that Iowa will likely be slotted higher this year than other years with identical credentials. It doesn't take a giant leap from there to assume they would also be playing a better team in the Cap One bowl than, for example, the Gator Bowl. Hence, a greater chance for loss.

Sorry vosov, I assumed you made the prediction because of your response... my bad. I understand why people think this could be a rough year and why they say we'd likely lose the bowl game. Just think it's a little much to make a prediction on that when we don't have any idea what kind of team the Hawks will be at that point and who they would be playing. Iowa usually gets significantly better as the season moves forward so the team we see in week 1 and the team we'd see at a bowl game will hopefully be worlds apart in terms of execution.