Hawkeye Superstitions

I wear the same gold shirt to every game I get to ... when it is cool I wear the same black jacket to every game over the gold shirt ... if it is really cold I gotta throw a bunch of layers in between because the shirt and the jacket are required

I have only witnessed one loss from the stands with this shirt on, to Indiana of all teams (w/ James Hardy of course)

Last edited:
When I turn the TV down to hear something else, I always turn it down to 12. This is a year round thing since Stanzi has been quarterback. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do after he graduates.

You'll re-enact Chuck Long's naked bootleg against MSU in your back yard before every game, to bring out the inner Chuck from Vandenberg's #16.

Last year, every Friday morning my alarm clock would be the college gameday theme on my phone, on saturday id wear a grey iowa tshirt, jean shorts, and grey socks. However during the NW game i didnt have any socks on and we all know what happened, and for OSU idk what went wrong as I did everything right.

I wear the same gold shirt to every game I get to ... when it is cool I wear the same black jacket to every game over the gold shirt ... if it is really cold I gotta throw a bunch of layers in between because the shirt and the jacket are required

I have only witnessed one loss from the stands with this shirt on, to Indiana of all teams (w/ James Hardy of course)
I have not been to alot of games 10 or 11, but I have never witnessed a Iowa loss while in the stands.

always stop at the hy-vee and take a shot with the clerk in the liquor store..started tradition 2 years ago and he has always been there since

the hawkeye flag must be put up, but at halftime. this tradition started after 2008's less than impressive start but decent finish.

also, no wearing the Iowa jersey on iowa game days............ever. Caused Iowa to lose to ISU in 2001 and 2002 both. Lotta unforced turnovers in both those games, coincidence? I think not

Kinda funny on the second part. I bought a Hawkeye shirt one day and we lost the day I wore it on gameday. Then i'm like um ok, never wore it again! So it stays put away.

I got a brand new Hawkeye shirt in 2004 and wore it for the first time the night of the "Debacle in the Desert". I have never worn that shirt on gameday again.

Funny, that's the same game at which I banned my black shorts-with- white/yellow/black striped polo combo. I can wear one or the other, but will NOT wear them together again. Ever.

I also tend to NOT wear t-shirts from bowl games which we lost.

Another superstition I have: once football season starts, I do NOT go on the basketball boards at ANY Hawk site until November. I don't care how we look in Saturday morning scrimmages (much less the PTL!), and to separate or unfocus concentration away from football is just flat-out wrong.

This one holds true for all games, that I care about. Never shave on "Gameday"

I'm the exact opposite, I always shave on Gameday. My wife is a firm believer in this as well. Last season during the Iowa/Wisconsin game I hadn't shaved prior to the game, with the hawks down 10 - 3 at the half my wife kicked me upstairs and ORDERED me to shave. Final score 20 - 10 Iowa.

I have some "lucky" socks that I put into use starting with week 2 last year. Figured Hawkeye socks would at least help my fandom if anything. After the Indiana game I started to believe they were magical. I put them on even that dreadful Saturday the dream ended (NU). After that I considered them not so lucky any more. I have a second all gold pair now that I'll rotate in.

I'm the exact opposite, I always shave on Gameday. My wife is a firm believer in this as well. Last season during the Iowa/Wisconsin game I hadn't shaved prior to the game, with the hawks down 10 - 3 at the half my wife kicked me upstairs and ORDERED me to shave. Final score 20 - 10 Iowa.
:eek:

I'm sure if you let enough people know about your hot streak, someone will pick up the tab for you lol.
Nah thats not fair, though lucky, im sure im not the only undefeated fan. im 22 years young if that were the case id want someone in their 80s or with a deathly illness to be able have great memories at kinnick before they pass.

Have a Hawkeye long-sleeve T-shirt worn during multiple losses to NW. Shirt sits in my drawer never to be worn again. Don't have the heart to Goodwill it (as I live in WI) but certainly can't bear to put it on (too many bad memories).

Latest posts